By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its the Year of 2020.....

Retrasado said:
thekitchensink said:
It's the year 1940, and films will have been forgotten...

Do you believe Universal, MGM, and Disney will still be around?

lol

see. that's the thing with technology, it really has no practicle upper limit. Take communications tech for example. first, you had yelling. then someone invented writing and you could send a message. same with smoke signals. Then, someone invented an electric generator and you had the telegraph and telephone. Then, someone discovered how to control electromagnetic radiation and you have radio and TV. But, you couldn't get it to travel for a long distance. then someone invented the liquid-fueled rocket and you have communications satelites. But you still couldn't manipulate the data or easily send stuff like documents and/or diagrams. then someone invented the computer and the internet.....

What I'm saying is, there's pretty much always going to be another thing you can do/try. I can think of a few, such as a Star Trek-style holodeck, that will take at least a couple hundred years to implement, so I don't think we'll hit the 'roof' on gaming anytime soon.

As miraculous as it sounds, we could actually see the 'prototype' in our own lifetimes, possibly as early as 20 years from now.  Check out what they're making at NAU:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/11/immersive.cocoon/index.html

"You're walking along a street in Roman Pompeii at the start of the first millennium when you notice a spectacular stone building. You reach out towards it and your guide informs you it's a temple to the god Jupiter, built in 200 BC. With a flick of your wrist you save the data and, school assignment complete, you step out of your Cocoon and back into your living room."

"When the software boots up, instead of using a joystick or mouse to navigate the screens, motion-tracking cameras will follow the movement of your arms, legs and face, and a motion-sensitive platform will detect if you're walking or jumping."

"Imagine Amazon.com being fully 3D. We could walk through a 3D space where you have all the books lined up, and you could walk right up to a book," he says.

Virtual shoppers might be able to take books off their shelves and read a sample, or even ask other virtual customers for recommendations."

Now, couple this with 3D hologram technology (which is being worked on right now), and BAM!  You have an early Star Trek holodeck.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
Retrasado said:
thekitchensink said:
It's the year 1940, and films will have been forgotten...

Do you believe Universal, MGM, and Disney will still be around?

lol

see. that's the thing with technology, it really has no practicle upper limit. Take communications tech for example. first, you had yelling. then someone invented writing and you could send a message. same with smoke signals. Then, someone invented an electric generator and you had the telegraph and telephone. Then, someone discovered how to control electromagnetic radiation and you have radio and TV. But, you couldn't get it to travel for a long distance. then someone invented the liquid-fueled rocket and you have communications satelites. But you still couldn't manipulate the data or easily send stuff like documents and/or diagrams. then someone invented the computer and the internet.....

What I'm saying is, there's pretty much always going to be another thing you can do/try. I can think of a few, such as a Star Trek-style holodeck, that will take at least a couple hundred years to implement, so I don't think we'll hit the 'roof' on gaming anytime soon.

Now, couple this with 3D hologram technology (which is being worked on right now), and BAM!  You have an early Star Trek holodeck.

Yeah, a ghetto imitation holodeck

Transporters, replicators, and force fields!  We need them now!

That is one bleak future you come from, OP.

No, in 2020, nuclear war has destroyed life the Earth, and my family and I are all hiding in an underground compound in Montana, and everyone else is dead. Sony and Microsoft's battle for 2nd place apparently got deadly in 2010, and the jealousy over Nintendo's landslide became as good a reason as any to instigate World War III.

Yeah, so, 5 people left on Earth, the video game industry is dead. Sorry guys.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Nintendo yes of course! For the others it's impossible to say! Remeber Sega and Atari, did you think they could fly away from the industry?

Around the Network

Will Sony be around??

Heck, the PS3 will still be around :P

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo is about 150 years old, they aren't going anywhere

yes sony will be arround and will announce Duke nukem forever fo it's ps5 .

Sony yes, they are one of the biggest names in electronics

M$ yes they own the computer market

Nintendo no... without video games, no

Playstation 3 owner since December 25th, 2006

McDonald said:
Sony yes, they are one of the biggest names in electronics

M$ yes they own the computer market

Nintendo no... without video games, no

What about their trading cards? o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I don't foresee nintendo going down anytime soon. I do however see miyomoto retiring within the next 10 or so years; and much like all artists. His creations will only increase in value.

Microsoft is a bit different, I sorta see the next few xboxes becoming well. Watered-down PCs. In a effort to save windows, which I'm gonna assume is gonna naturally decline over the next couple of years as problems become more and more apparent and more people choose macs over PCs. The 9th generation xbox will have windows installed on it and be able to install and play PC games on your television. Giving it a slight boost, although most PC gamers will shun the xbox.

Sony, I can foresee Sosy still being around with a PlayStation 4 or 5. I sorta seeing them abandoning the PlayStation 3 long before its 10 year lifespan though. Since Ol' Ken isn't at the helm, the next PlayStation will be much different from what we've seen before and they will undoubtedly take shots at Nintendo again.

I also I'm gonna wager a guess that we're gonna see apple chip into the race in the near future. I wouldn't mind a 4 legged race.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?