By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem this generation

So I watched the Gametrailers Bonus I I'm noticing some thing

First, the Wii HD. GOD< this annoys me. The industry has some idea there will be a Wii HD in 2011. Now, why is it that people beleive Nintendo, the compnay that is in 1st will compy the losers. Not to mention Nintendo could probably sell Wiis from 2012 or 2013 (probably longer). The NES did this. The PS1 did this. The PS2 is still doing it. So, why does everyone beleive the succesful Wii will only last until 2011 and return to what everyone else is doing.

The other thing is this console war. Really, this isn't a game of risk despite what everyone wants to think. This is a buisness. It's about money, not the number of boxes sold. Yes, the number sold is importaint, but people only look at certain veriables to determine how successful a console is. Many people will say the XBox beat the Gamecube (yes, becuase the game industry is some kind of battleground), yet Nintendo made FAR more money. The industry, of course, doesn't care about this and only sees boxes and BIG TITLES.

There is also a problem on DLC/ Everyone sees it as a major driving force. While I can agree Nexflix is importaint, I don't think DLC matters. Consumers rarely connect their boxes online, so why is it so importaint to have DLC. Microsoft and Sony fight tooth and nail for this, but if not that many people get online then why worry about it. I think it's the same industry arguing like little children. Also, the acheivments/trophies. Let me telling something about them. They say their like a score right. People didn't play games to get a high score, they played the game becuase it was fun. Score exist to keep the player inthraled. If the player doesn't like your game, then why have them. I think this is the industry, once again, looking at something and seeing it is importaint when it really isn't.. It's not to say 360/PS3 games are bad, but the industry is having many warped views. I really think they are alienating everyone. Where are those 120million PS2 owners anyway?

The most importaint thing is that the industry only sees the 360 and the PS3. Hey, the Wii is there too. "Oh, but the Wii doesn't have good online". Ummm, hello, 24connect, Message Board, their Wi-Fi. Many people see Nintendo's system as annoying ans I can agree, but they miss the point. Nintendo does have a strong and smart online strategy. Their goal is to try and make online fun, but not annoying.Not to have 12 year olds screaming profanities at you.

But they only see the race as one for second. They ignore the Wii constantly. They dodge the subject and only talk about it in their terms (Wii HD). I think the game industry is becoming full of elitist. They sit there and discuse the wonders of videogames as art and see gaming only in HD. They do not see it as a business and chat about downloads, big games and DLC. I think the industry has lost it's mind.

Yeah, I know the video is biased becuase it deals with online, but I think the industry needs to stop living in a box. The industry is not about art. People buy games becuase they are fun, not becuase of the DLC, the story and HD graphics. They buy it becuase it is fun. Yet they continue to think this way despite the HD bros are struggling.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43174.html

Around the Network

You know why people don't include the Wii in discussions? Because it's won. It's clearly won. Nothing can defeat it. Neither of the other platforms is a match for it.

Because of this, many people basically accept it as background scenery, because the real conflict is happening with the HD consoles. The 360 wins, then the PS3 wins, then the 360 wins again. It's a seesaw, it can go either way. That is why it is interesting to discuss.

Also, the 360 and PS3 have a lot more in common than either console and the Wii.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

So... wiiware and virtual console are bad things?

Lemme tell you what's wrong with generation:

- Wii: it's the leader, it's selling like hot cakes, but there are not many AAA games on it that are not a nintendo franchise or a ps2 port: Wii owners are furstrated but they won't tell.

- Xbox360: They had hard time at the beginning with low sales and the famous RROD. They're actually not the leader: furstrated.

- PS3: well, the ultimate leader has become the looser of this generation so far: furstrated!

Esa-Petteri said:
Oh crap, another nintendo-fan trying to bash better consoles. Why can't you just be happy with your wii? ;)

Yeah! Wii is junk. It's losing to the HD consoles. It is under 50%, still, after 2 years on the market. If that's not a failure, I don't know what is.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Yeah! Wii is junk. It's losing to the HD consoles. It is under 50%, still, after 2 years on the market. If that's not a failure, I don't know what is.

I would not go that far, wii is not junk. I guess it is pretty ok if you happen to like nintendo-games.

Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

I love it how this thread started quite interesting, but by the 3rd post had degenerated to generic console war ranting.

I am also confused as to why people think that Nintendo will be the next to bring out a new console. The PS2 showed us that a weaker but more powerful console can easily outsell the other consoles in the generation

I am also not a fan of downloadable content, of the form it currently exists in. LBP is a genius showing of DLC, and even Brawl and Mario Kart have ok uses of the internet to get new content. However, companies that use DLC as a way of turning a $110 game (I live in Aus, we get ripped off) into a $150 game are terrible. Many devs omit content from the final release so that they can put it as DLC

BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Better in what?

In games, of course.

He didn't see press/someone said much about wii and give a complain doesn't mean he's Ninty fanboy, don't jump into conclusion like that Esa-Petteri.

About TC,It's true that not much ppl talk about comparison between Wii-PS3 or Wii-Xbox360.But doesn't mean they didn't care about it too.Many reply already told you why. :)