By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: How Sony Should Respond to a Disruptive Attack (PS3 vs. Wii)

OriGin said:

It's funny how PS3 fans STILL can't seem to grasp the situation and what is going on in the games industry.

Whats going on, other then lowest priced product selling best my god thats so revolutionary.

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
OriGin said:

It's funny how PS3 fans STILL can't seem to grasp the situation and what is going on in the games industry.

Whats going on, other then lowest priced product selling best my god thats so revolutionary.

You seriously don't know whats going on? Look at the DS situation almost 3 years on and tell me the Wii is only selling because it's the lowest price product?

If you honestly believe that then all for you, but you're sure in for a disappointment later this gen.

OriGin said:
Killzone3 said:
OriGin said:

You seriously don't know whats going on? Look at the DS situation almost 3 years on and tell me the Wii is only selling because it's the lowest price product?

If you honestly believe that then all for you, but you're sure in for a disappointment later this gen.

I looked at PS3s lineup, disappointment is impossible.

PS3's list, disappointment is impossible? Personally, I'd only have 1 game to play for the whole year. And coming from a 40+ PS2 game collection (with about 2 dozen more on my to-get list), that's not saying much for it.

And btw, that title is Armored Core 4. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Killzone3 said:
OriGin said:
Killzone3 said:
OriGin said:

Killzone3, I think he meant your expectations about PS3 sales being disappointed.  The line up on any of the consoles for the next year or so will keep their respective owners happy. 

On the price being a factor for people buying Wii, you are partially right.  It gets people to buy it and the $500 price tag scares customers away, so only several million are going to enjoy those wonderful games on PS3.  Too bad, their loss.  Too bad vg's are sales driven, and the low sales are going to scare away publishers as we head into '08.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Well, Sony is now experiencing the same thing that Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega once faced: low market share = low profits = low confidence = low market share. I think it'll be impossible for them to change now, so they should dedicate most of their resources to the next console and new IPs for it casual and core with better motion-sensing than the Wii.

They should lower PS3 production costs considerably too, although that is very difficult.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Hey if the PS3 lineup for next year will please you thats good, you should afterall be buying the console that has the games you want. However disappointment isnt impossible for everyone. My main problem with the PS3 isnt the quality of the titles its getting next year - few games have the pedigree of FFXIII and GT5 - but the quantity. Those two games are the only ones I personally would want from the entire system and at its price its just not enough to justify it.

Cost is Sonys main weakness, its going to trouble them all generation because even once they lower their prices the 360 and the Wii can always go lower.

Killzone3 must you be such an nuissance in every thread you partake of?

Without a 100 dollar pricecut the PS3 was still laging behind the 360 in WW sales which is pretty pathetic considering the 360's market in Japan is non-existant, the fact it took such a significant cut to even jump ahead of the 360 is nothing to brag about. How long do you think these sales can actually persist, do you not remember the launch in Europe, the joyous euphoria that ensued, then we watched as the sales dropped off more and more. The price cut boost in sales has been given an extra push by the new PS3 SKU but it won't last, it simply can't.

In all honesty I hope PS3 follows your advice and stays their current course, because that will just ensure the 360 and Wii both secure futures.

Sony should not change any thing EXCEPT their marketing :
They have to FOCUS on game and stop making stupid advertissement. What to do for this Xmas for example ?
Put in every shop a trailer showing GT5/Killzone2 video. Same for TV : just make an adverstissement with the GT5 trailer.

Personaly, I believe in the Combo Theroy:

Wii/PS3 or Wii/Xbox360

Even if third party are coming to the Wii, I predict a LOT of mini-games.
The Wii will still be appealing to casual (price+fun) but more time will spend more PS3/Xbox360 will drop their price and more "mature" games will come.
These mini-games for casual will help to finance the big project coming for the Xbox360/Wii.
So if people want to play more "mature themed" game like AssassinCreed/GTA, and some others typical mature themed franchise usually present on the Xbox/PS2, they will have to buy a PS3/Xbox360.
The PS2 users are buying the Wii becuase it is cheap but they are/will dream about getting a Xbox360/PS3 later.
For me people will buy a Wii and after a PS3/Xbox360.

Overall, Wii will open the market to non-gamer (WiiFit) and will sell a lot.
I dont think the PS3 will be able to sell to non-gamer except maybe if BR succeed to spread to mass market.

I think that with the Wii the market will increase from 150M to 300M console gamers.

Time to Work !

There really is nothing that Sony can do about the Wii right now, so the best thing for them to do right now would be to ignore it(so to speak) and just focus on combatting the 360. There's still a decent chance the PS3 can finish second as MS has failed time and time again to "go for the throat", so if Sony can do this and the 360 fails to turn a profit again, MS probably won't be back a third time.

One thing for Sony to look at is where they messed up, and that's the price. Had the PS3 been released with all of these capabilities and features at $299, it would be a lot better off. That's not to say the Wii wouldn't be selling like crazy, but the PS3 would be selling a lot better. Nintendo has found something it can do well that Sony really can't counter, so the only way for Sony to respond is to find something it can do well that the Nintendo can't counter, and as was previously said, play to its strengths and come up with something that will drive people wild.

What that thing is, I don't know, but I think we can all see that charging people more and more money for technology upgrades isn't going to do it.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3