By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: How Sony Should Respond to a Disruptive Attack (PS3 vs. Wii)

NorthStar said:
So Nintendo is banking on non gamers buying games.... if you look at the top games on the Wii they are very fun novelty games. They just do not appeal to most people that already like Video Games. The fact that Nintendo can not supply at least 15 million into the market by now is not a good thing. There are no part shortages and the Tech is not expensive. This is no time to Panic for Sony the PS2 is still selling very well so that shows that Motion sensing is not what is pushing systems it is Price and games.

Nintendo is doing a great job getting new people into gaming but how will say EA get those people's intrest into Madden instead of Wii Sports. For the most part these "newcomer" do not care about playing players in the NFL or Guiding a Franchise for 30 years. Most of these players enjoy short uninvolved games that offer a few moments here and there of quick fun.

This is not a Bash on the Wii but it sells to people that want Quick and quirky games. Nintendo will make a few more Grand Games like Zelda and Metroid but we will never see a God of War type story on the Wii. Final Fantasy will never be as big of a hit on the Wii as a Game like Wii Play.

I for one like my games emersive and to me that does not come from the type of controler in my hand it comes from in depth story intense action and yes difficulty (I don't want to be able to blow through a game just because the easier it is the more it will sell).

The Wii can NOT replace the PS3 or the 360 to me. It is not the same. They both play games on my TV but what kind of games. What kind of games in the future?

You make an interesting assertion that current Wii games do not appeal to conventional gamers yet games like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Wario Ware, and Super Mario Strikers are exactly the kinds of games Nintendo has sold to conventional gamers for years...

Edit: So far people have been making this claim that the Wii can not produce conventional games since Nintendo displayed the Wiimote at TGS 2005 and yet on a weekly basis more conventional games get announced for the Wii than the PS3 ...

How long before people start asserting that the PS3 can't have conventional games?

Around the Network
NorthStar said:
So Nintendo is banking on non gamers buying games.... if you look at the top games on the Wii they are very fun novelty games. They just do not appeal to most people that already like Video Games. The fact that Nintendo can not supply at least 15 million into the market by now is not a good thing. There are no part shortages and the Tech is not expensive. This is no time to Panic for Sony the PS2 is still selling very well so that shows that Motion sensing is not what is pushing systems it is Price and games.

Nintendo is doing a great job getting new people into gaming but how will say EA get those people's intrest into Madden instead of Wii Sports. For the most part these "newcomer" do not care about playing players in the NFL or Guiding a Franchise for 30 years. Most of these players enjoy short uninvolved games that offer a few moments here and there of quick fun.

This is not a Bash on the Wii but it sells to people that want Quick and quirky games. Nintendo will make a few more Grand Games like Zelda and Metroid but we will never see a God of War type story on the Wii. Final Fantasy will never be as big of a hit on the Wii as a Game like Wii Play.

I for one like my games emersive and to me that does not come from the type of controler in my hand it comes from in depth story intense action and yes difficulty (I don't want to be able to blow through a game just because the easier it is the more it will sell).

The Wii can NOT replace the PS3 or the 360 to me. It is not the same. They both play games on my TV but what kind of games. What kind of games in the future?

Your post is so full of phail I'm really not sure where to begin...

1) I don't why people continue to say that the Wii does not appeal to people that already play games.  We all know that Nintendo wants to appeal to non-gamers, that is old news, but that doesn't mean theat they are only appealing to them so stop saying it.  Super Paper Mario, MP3, SMG, SSBB are some games made by Nintendo alone that appeal to gamers.  All those others are not made by Nintendo and has nothing to do with Nintendo.  Blame the developers if you don't like what they have.  Myself?  I'm a gamer and I love what I have for my Wii.

2) 15 million is a large number, I don't think you realize how big it is.  I know you like to think of it as just a number, but it takes time, money, space, workers, ect to produce all that.  Nintendo does not want a shortage, they want a Wii in your hands.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are holding back slightly but they are also making them as fast as they can.  This is another one those just get the stupid idea out of your simple hard head.

3) If someone wants to play Football or their favorite sports game and they have only a Wii, they're going to buy the corresponding EA sports game.  Once again, if people aren't buying the third party games, this isn't Nintendo's problem, it's the developers for simply not making a game people want.  That said, Madden doesn't seem to have that problem.

4) you might want to think you will never see a grand story like god of Wars story on the Wii statement, mainly because that's probably the dumbest statement in your entire fail filled post.  Instead of me trying to explain it and you ignoring it, just go look at upcoming Wii games and even look at ones already released.  Super Paper Mario even has a better story than God of War.

5) It's silly to think the Wii can't immersive games just because of the controller or its power because you're essentially saying the Xbox, Gamecube, or PS2 had no immersive games.  Try thinking before you type next time.

TheSource said:
Those games appeal to people who already game. There will always be a market for that, but if companies like EA are concerned about future stagnation (90% of resources going to sequels qualifies as stagnation) you have to believe there is a way to capture the larger audience. Like it or not, videogames will eventually reach billions of people, not millions, as all forms of entertainment do. Nintendo seems to be the only company equipped to appeal to non gamers and gamers.

I don't think they appel to both gamers and non gamers. I think the appeal to Nintendo fans and non gamers. currently Zelda is the ONLY game that the claim could be made that appeals to Gamers. In that case Microsoft appeals to Non Gamers because they have Viva Pinata. Nintendo has not shown a single game that looks like a game I would say was Geared toward a Gamer. Now thats not saying they do not have fun games a gamer could not enjoy. I am saying Nintendo has Nothing geared toward "Gamers"

Its wierd you would bring up sequals while arguing a case for Nintendo? Mario Kart??? Super Mario??? Metroid??? Zelda??? Pokemon??? any game they come up with that is not specialy designed for the Wii mote is a Sequel. I do not agree though the fact there are More sequels is good for games it show support for titles. If you use your logic than Motion Pictures must be stagnant too ,but the truth is it is exactly the opposite this Summer alone saw very few original ideas in film yet it is already a record setting Summer for hollywood.

The only way Games will take off to the billions is a single Player. A machine manufactured by many companies much like a DVD play that can play all home console games. Sadly Nintendo would not the best equiped to do that. Imagine if Every Movie Studio had their own Media Player.

I think Sony should keep the price high and get more games to the market. Create a demand and make people want to save up or use credit. Be the luxury gaming device.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

That won't work steven787, viper1 explained it well

"That does absolutely nothing to 'grow' the market. This is what many people, including Sony, fail to realize is what Nintendo is doing. Simply releasing games that the current consumer market is already waiting is simply feeding the same people you've been feeding for years. Those are just second (or 3rd, 4th, etc...) helpings for the same people. Nobody new to the table. The Wii is bringing new people to the table.

If you feed the same people, you stagnate. You don't grow the industry. Profit margins shrink considerably as the return on investment shrinks due to diminishing returns"

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Movies are stagnant though. What is the last great innovative you have seen? I see dozens of movies but I can't think of a truly groundbreaking movie in the last few months. The mainstream movie industry is completely driven by proven sequels and liscences.

Nintendo's traditional games/semi-tradtional are selling higher than they have in a long while - whether on DS (New Super Mario Brothers), or Wii (Zelda should hit what 4 million worldwide? - 2nd or 3rd highest for any Zelda game). The case for semi-traditional games (Mario Party 8) selling better is even stronger. That means either a) The set of gamers you call Nintendo gamers is growing, or b) People who don't love/adore Nintendo on name alone are buying the name. I think it is mostly the second scenario.

Frankly it isn't that hard to appeal to old and new audiences. It happenes every generation. Sony sure as hell succeeded at it from 1997-2006. Nintendo did it from 1985-1996. If you want to stick to the old argument that old experiences are superior since people know what to do with them, go ahead, but look at movies - how many hardcore silent film afficianados are out there? I consider motion control a future industry standard much as sound has become for movies. What is debatable though is how quickly the standard materializes - movies saw a decade like transtion.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Forbes article said:

"even at the older, higher price Sony took a loss on the PlayStation 3 console"

Forbes article later said:

"Analysts would wonder why Sony was intentionally cannibalizing its higher-end, higher-margin product."

The PS3 can't be both a huge loss and also higher margin????

Not certain Forbes could do a better job.... THEY CAN'T COUNT!
{smiley}

So what happens when MGS4, FFXIII, and GT5 come out and PS3 still doesn't sell?

Is Sony going to sit on their hands and wait for more exclusives to be released or change their strategy?

@TheSource

Quis custodiet ipsos TheSource?

Me!!!

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Great find The Source. A noteworthy read. People seem to have touched on what I was going to say, so I won't.

Sony should definately rip Nintendo off here, But go with the 2nd option - sort of. But instead, make it compatible with both PS2 and PS3. Drop PS2 down to $99. If they sacrafice ps3 a little bit, they make it up on PS2, so it doesn't hurt them.

Make the new games (theyd need a few party type casual games to launch) for the periferal multi compatible, so the game on PS3 outputs Hi def, but the same game(a PS2 game). I bet they could configure thier emulation software to do this- but developing the games compatible with the emulation from the get go. Would get people on the bandwagon of PS2, but have incentive to upgrade to PS3 at a later time. As well as making the periferal 'better' than wii with the hi-def, instead of inferior like it would be going wii vs ps2. And you'd think it wouldn't be too tough for EA to put the controls as an option into PS3 Woods' and Madden, ect.

It really would put nintendo back in its spot as last-gen technology.(and sell more PS3s) And possibly kill wii.

I'm willing to bet theres many PS2 owners that would love to try out wii motion sensing controls, but $250+limited stock is too much trouble/investment.

The additional benefuit is that it will likley get more wii games ported to ps2 from third parties, (who are now starting to invest heavily in wii.)