By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: How Sony Should Respond to a Disruptive Attack (PS3 vs. Wii)

@Lord N. Sony couldnt have released it with all those features at 300. Maybe without bluray at $400.

Around the Network

The whole thing is crazy. They have a niche, they have games, just stick it through and make a profit at number 2/3. I agree they need some good traditional advertising. EDIT: And hope to extend the life cycle.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Killzone3 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Killzone3 said:
Their three options are idiotic.

Best option is to hold their ground and keep a few huge 3rd exclusives like MGS FF L.A. Noir at all cost and when the time comes launch those WMD named GranTurismo FinalFantasy MetalGearSolid Killzone.

So you suggest the path of greatest floppage

They are whoopin 360s ass world wide, yep floopage.

Still millions behind though, at the current sales rate it will take a long time for PS3 to catch up

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

About 63 weeks if 360 is pulled off of shelves tomorrow, about 136 weeks at the current rates for both consoles.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

If you look at the ps2 & ps3 sales combined, you can't really state that sony lost.
The PS2 is an ideal low-cost console, and the PS3 the hi-priced beast.

Sony should focus on diversity, originality and gameplay combined with high-grade graphics and sound, whether it comes on a full-stacked BR disc or a download (arcade) game from PSN.

Let studio's like EA & Rockstar make their sequels to feed the line-up of games which people recognize, but keep investing in the PSN and games like LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Rocoloco, MGS4, Hot Shots Golf and such.
There are a lot of creative designers out there with great ideas that Sony should/must support ( and I'm pretty sure they will ).
Give them the possibility to develop the game like they intended it to be, and when the Wii salesnumber cool down, Sony will be in the middle of all that new creativity and will have the most apealling line-up for all kinds of gamers.
If they're willing to invest there, the sun will shine brighter in 2008 / 2009

Around the Network

Sony is deep in their own hole, and only a huge innovation (whether software or hardware, or a combination) can really save them. Simply put, PS3 is at the wrong price point. That's all it comes down to. It was their own error to include Blu-ray, and now they are reaping the fruits of their mistakes.

Rath said:
@Lord N. Sony couldnt have released it with all those features at 300. Maybe without bluray at $400.

I know, and that's what I'm talking about.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

So a news outlet finally caught up with some of the things that most people in this forum already knew? ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Seeking Alpha weighs in:

Taken in a vacuum, I tend to agree with Mr. Christensen's recommendations. The problem I have with them, however, is that they require a healthy and functional corporate culture and a modicum of strategic vision, neither of which Sony had demonstrated in recent years. I don't see how you can answer the question Mr. Christensen so deftly answered without asking the following question: If my prescription is correct strategically, can they really execute upon it organizationally? Because for all the common sense inherent in Mr. Christensen's story, I think it is pretty much a red herring since I can't see a way current Sony management and the existing Sony organization can pull it off.

Let's say for the moment that Sony decides to take Mr. Christensen's advice (despite indications to the contrary). In order to execute it will need to have hardware and software working closely together, and doing so in a way it has never done before. In fact, I'd posit that software development and usability should drive hardware design, not the other way around, which is traditionally the way it is done at Sony.

Given that there are really no new players (meaning fresh blood from the outside, bringing new ideas, new energy and new ways of getting stuff done) in key roles since the debacle called PS3 occurred, why should anyone have confidence that Sony can magically transform itself into a flexible, customer-focused, software-driven organization? Answer: They shouldn't.

So before I would begin even thinking about answering the question "What should Sony do next with respect to its gaming strategy?", I'd want to answer the question "How can Sony re-shape its organization, culture and product development approach in order to be more flexible, customer-centric and innovative in a rapidly-shifting market?"

Because without a good answer to the latter, you might as well take the former, write it on a piece of paper, crumple it into a ball and toss it in the garbage can. Because that is all the value good strategy is worth in the absence of good culture.

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/43458

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I don't think they should do anything for now. Just make the 80GB $500,- at least before march 2008, also in Europe. Also asap 45nm production. When the price price reaches $300 start a huge Blu-ray campain and kill HDDVD at the end of 2009. When they reach $200 make more PS Eye games. Trivia, Monopoly enz. That's the best they can do. Then again 5 years have past.

What will Nintendo do? Wii HD to compete with PS3? Well what if Sony introduces a Wii-mote for there upcoming five years. They will get all multiplatform titels. Even PS2 is getting many without Wii-mote.

I don't think Nintendo should do this and PS3 will out sell Wii within 9 years.