By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3: the Dreamcast/Sega Saturn of this Generation?

madskillz said:
@ pbroy - where did you get that info? interesting read.

I'm a Sega fan. The history of Sega is in my blood.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

The PS3 will easily sell more than the Dreamcast and Saturn combined. This thread fails big time.

Haggy said: <SNIO>

let me explain:  fun games, too costly, not enough support...

Pretty much covers it. I doubt the PS3 will ever hit critical mass. 

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

McDonald said:
Developers are just lazy. It was proved back in Nov 2007 with CoD4 that PS3 multiplats can be as good as 360 versions.

They just need to try harder, its not impossible.

This is NOT a good place to be in.  When you are the most expensive console, you had better bet BETTER than your competitor, not "just as good".  This is the problem the Saturn ran into with the original Playstation.  And, the Saturn is probably a better comparison for consoles than the Dreamcast.  The PS3 is about everything the Dreamcast is not:

1. The PS3 was released after a competitor, not before.

2. The PS3 has a complex set of processors in it, that are harder to develop for.

3. The PS3 is more expensive than its competitors.

4. The PS3 is pushing the largest disk storage, not the smallest.

All this is like the Saturn, NOT the Dreamcast.

The Ps3 is hard to develope on but that doesn't mean its in trouble with it's games, I rarely see any mutliplat games go X360 exclusive, theres just a handful and thats it, and the first and second party game of the PS3 are awesome if third party developers wern't so lazy they'd be able to make the PS3 version just as good as any other version, it just needs a little extra work. So the games are fine.

The PS3 should easily be able to hit 50 million LTD (should be able to sell much more I'm just making a point) and that put's it in the category of the SNES and I don't think ayone considered the SNES not a success.

Around the Network

I don't think the PS3 is the DC/Saturn of this gen. It is simply the PS3 of this gen. The Industry has a certain kind of ebb and flow to it, Sony got cocky and wanted to use the trojan horse of blu-ray to help sell systems, heck it worked for the ps2. No company has ever won 3 gens in a row the same arrogance dethrowned Nintendo.

I think there are similarities obviously tech is on one them (in the saturns case) Also the point you bring up about being difficult to develop for has been echoed from game devs. I don't know I just think each gen is its own beast. Previous gens can effect things, but I don't think previous success is a 100% indicator of Future success.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

i think that you have just posted something that someone else has already posted.

Who me? Damn that's what I get for skimming through some responses. My bad.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I don't think the dreamcast sold anywhere close to 20 million units.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Mmm ,the Dreamcast ceased its manufacturing two years into its lifecycle and lasted 3 years in the market.It sold 9 million units (11 million but the last two were firesales of the remaining stock ) and it was devoured by the piracy .Also ,it didnt have the support of big software publishers as Square ,EA and very limited from Konami ,Namco ,etc...and it was manufactured and marketed by an endebted company.

The PS3 is stil unpiratable ,it has won the HD media war by itself ,it has sold nearly 20 million units right now ,it has the support of all the software publishers and for what we do know its not being abandoned by Sony anytime soon .

So NO ,the PS3 definitely isnt the DC of this generation .