By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony PSP 2 Graphics Processor Revealed?

Staude said:
No matter what any of you guys say, personally i prefere good graphics to shit ugly graphics. (I make graphics myself, coincitentially on a outdated engine) In either case i think it'll be awesome if the psp2 has some epic machinery. I'll deffo grab one :)

Everyone prefers "Good Graphics" to "Ugly Graphics" its just our definitions of "Good Graphics" and "Ugly Graphics" is different from yours. I personally grew up playing the Collecovision, a 286 and the NES when they were all considered to have "Great Graphics" and when I was your age I was drooling over the upcomming PS2 and how amazing its graphics were ... I suspect that as you get older you will start to have problems looking at a game and saying "Wow that has great graphics" only to say "Man those are shitty graphics" within 18 months simply because something better came along.

With all that said ... The Wii has amazingly low energy consumption requirements, and if the components were shrunk down using the 45nm process you should be able to get similar performance out of a handheld system; if Sony is targeting a 32nm process, and used a more modern GPU, they should be able to produce some very impressive visuals. The question I would have is "What is the point?"

On a 5 inch screen it would be very difficult to see many of the improvements from the current PSP to something as powerful as the PS3; on top of this most handheld games (that are successful) are still 2D and the difference in quality of 2D games from the Nintendo DS to this more powerful PSP would be fairly limited.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Staude said:
No matter what any of you guys say, personally i prefere good graphics to shit ugly graphics. (I make graphics myself, coincitentially on a outdated engine) In either case i think it'll be awesome if the psp2 has some epic machinery. I'll deffo grab one :)

Everyone prefers "Good Graphics" to "Ugly Graphics" its just our definitions of "Good Graphics" and "Ugly Graphics" is different from yours. I personally grew up playing the Collecovision, a 286 and the NES when they were all considered to have "Great Graphics" and when I was your age I was drooling over the upcomming PS2 and how amazing its graphics were ... I suspect that as you get older you will start to have problems looking at a game and saying "Wow that has great graphics" only to say "Man those are shitty graphics" within 18 months simply because something better came along.

With all that said ... The Wii has amazingly low energy consumption requirements, and if the components were shrunk down using the 45nm process you should be able to get similar performance out of a handheld system; if Sony is targeting a 32nm process, and used a more modern GPU, they should be able to produce some very impressive visuals. The question I would have is "What is the point?"

On a 5 inch screen it would be very difficult to see many of the improvements from the current PSP to something as powerful as the PS3; on top of this most handheld games (that are successful) are still 2D and the difference in quality of 2D games from the Nintendo DS to this more powerful PSP would be fairly limited.

Damn, you must be 30 then.

I am 20 you see.. so your point kinda falls to the ground there.

And when we are speaking of handheld there is a clear difference since the DS games (if 3d) are extremely basic. PS1 level or worse. While the psp has ps2 level graphics. Now i love the ps1 and it's games, but for brand new games, i prefere something a little better looking. Personally i can see very clearly the difference and i have no doubt that you too would, from the psp to the psp2. Well, whatever floats your boat. But better graphics does not equal worse gameplay. It does however equal better immersion.

EDIT: oh yeah, i still think good graphics are good graphics. I still think God of War looks awesome, and Uncharted. I still think that the first Wipeout is great along with the original Command & Conquer, not to mention Dune 2 and Doom 2. So it's not that i think aging games are bad at all. Infact i'm currently remaking the original Command & Conquer as a Fps/Tps.

Check out my game about moles ^

Everyone "prefers" good graphics - the same way everyone would prefer a better (fancier) car to a worse one.

But not everyone is willing to pay more for them - and this is where "reality" comes into the equation.

Heck, I'll be stoked if the DS had the 3D caps of the PSP - or the Wii had the gfx of the PS3 (or 360) - and both stayed at the same price.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Yeah, we need outdated graphics in all our game consoles that way they will be cheap enough to justify buying them. If you want good graphics read Maxim.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I hoping there's a significant graphical leap between the PSP and the PSP2. Enough to warrant the purchase of one.

Better anti-aliasing alone would be awesome for handheld gaming.

Around the Network

I'll wait form some news from SONY.

4 ≈ One

No matter what any of you guys say, personally i prefere good graphics to shit ugly graphics.

QFT, since when have shitty graphics become a badge of honor. Now Sony get rid of the UMD, give us a second analog stick and we have a winner.

Oh my, this thread has become a PSP bashing.

powerVR was used to power the DC, how ironic that SONY should use that solution to topple nintendo...

on a more serious note.. the one thing to appreciate about the powerVR series is tile based rendering>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiled_rendering

Tiled rendering is the process of subdividing ("tiling") a cut scene by a regular grid in image space to facilitate the use of limited hardware rendering resources later in the pipeline.

Major examples of this are:

* PowerVR rendering architecture: The rasterizer consisted of a 32x32 tile into which polygons were rasterized across the image across multiple pixels in parallel. On early PC versions, tiling was performed in the display driver running on the CPU. In the application of the Sega Dreamcast console, tiling was performed by a piece of hardware. This facilitated deferred rendering--only the visible pixels were texture-mapped, saving shading calculations and texture-bandwidth.
* Xbox 360: the GPU contains an embedded 10MB framebuffer; this is not sufficient to rasterize an entire 1280x720 image with 4x anti-aliasing, so a tiling solution is superimposed.
* Implementations of Reyes rendering often divide the image into tile buckets.
* Pixel Planes 5 architecture (1991)[1]
* Microsoft Talisman (1996)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Sony just isn't learning. Why can't they figure out that they need to produce more affordable hardware? Do they ever do market research or a simple analysis of previous trends? Are they reusing the business model that has landed them in last place again? I just don't understand their business decisions.