By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony use the Cell processor in the PS3?

I have wondered the same... why use cell?

However, I am glad sony is buying them because it will bring manufacturing cost down for cell. For that I am very excited Parallel processing is huge in the research field and cell will work WONDERS there. So hopefully we can get those bad boys into some super computers and into the hands of reasearchers

Around the Network

The Cell is an untapped potential; used correctly will be able to do some pretty amazing stuff.

As most devs are not familar with this new tech, PS3 owners get shoddy ports. (ex. F.E.A.R.)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
The Cell is an untapped potential; used correctly will be able to do some pretty amazing stuff.

It already is, look at Uncharted or Killzone2.

Would a game like Resistance: Fall of Man which was their showcase title been not possible on a dvd9 disc?

So you're talking about the Blu-Ray storage advantage here. Resistance supports many different languages and 7.1 audio, cutting this out of the game the game and downgrading the sound to max 5.1 would probably fit on a DVD. The point is developers don't need to make such sacrifices on the PS3. Killzone 2 will also support 20 languages and they could use 50GB discs if there's not enough space left for other data, like high quality textures. (Note the PGR4 downgrade, complaints from Rockstar with regard to DVD limitations)

Blu-Ray also offers the advantage of supporting Blu-Ray movies, default anti-scratching coating and sustained data reading speeds across the disc (predictability).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Killzone3 said:
NJ5 said:
Killzone3 said:
Ha! I love how the mass sales increase due to the price cut in the USA has spurred xbox fans back to posting fud.

Buddy Rockstar was strugling with the 360 version due to the constraints of DVD, they said so months ago.

And aren't xbot the worst drones ? 11 times your hardware breaks but ITS... O K

You really want to get banned due to your trolling don't you?

not my fault fanboys cant handle the truth.

Keep pushing it with your offtopic trolls and you'll see what happens. I'm not a mod but from what I can see you're headed for a ban, so take care...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

NJ/Killzone you two need to knock it off.

dallas said:

I'm not picking a fight here, just honestly telling him that he might get banned with his recent behavior, which isn't good for him or the forum...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ rocketpig

Um... No. The 360 has a better video card, more flexible RAM usage, and the tri-core CPU is vastly more powerful than the PS3's CPU minus the SPEs. What on Earth gave you that idea?

The RSX objectively provides more raw perfomance, so it's a matter of perspective. AFAIK the full RSX specs haven't even been published, so it's mostly just guesswork. I do however agree developers had more time to get to know the Xenos and the XBox 360 in general, which is an advantage. However on the other hand the combination Cell + RSX is extremely powerful, how it's all able to work together is greater than merely a summ of individual parts.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

NJ5 said:
dallas said:

I'm not picking a fight here, just honestly telling him that he might get banned with his recent behavior, which isn't good for him or the forum...

for what pointing out the obvious to you?

Since coming back all legend11 has done is whine and cry about the PS3, Rockstar did comment of 360 hardware constraints, and arent people that accept defective hardware kinda drones.

I didnt say that either of you started anything, i'm just asking both of you to quit arguing before somebody gets banned as this thread has already been given a warning by ck. Why would you want other people to get headaches from your squabbles?