By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony use the Cell processor in the PS3?

Stating sony's perception of its fans is not insulting the fans themselves Ckmlb. No need for a warning and you know it.

How come we never see this kind of reaction out of you when Killzone3, Leo-J, PS3Owner or AIIAII attack MS or Ninty fans? Half the time I see you joining the feeding frenzy. Aren't Mods at least suppossed to pretend to be unbiased, especially ones who brag up owning all three consoles as proof of their purity?

On Topic: Blu-Ray was a technology they were going to try and push anyway, and seeing how it affected their sales I'm sure most Sony haters are glad they did include it in the PS3.

The Cell Processor, who knows, I'm sure they had their reasons but when you're trying to steel the thunder of MS, whose market strategy isn't that tricky (leaving them more vulnerable in the long term even if they do steel MS's thunder), a little snake oil doesn't hurt for bragging rights either.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Around the Network

Sorry for anyone I may have offended with this thread.. I guess the whole GTAIV thing got to me and especially the article about it might be because of the PS3 (even though we'll likely never know and it may not be because of it). Maybe it should be closed so it doesn't create and hard feelings :/

ckmlb said:

How about you stop saying PS3 owners are drones?

You should read what he said again, he didn't say that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ckmlb said:

I'm sure 360 owners are all rocket scientists.

No, those are Wii owners :P

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Ha! I love how the mass sales increase due to the price cut in the USA has spurred xbox fans back to posting fud.

Buddy Rockstar was strugling with the 360 version due to the constraints of DVD, they said so months ago.

And aren't xbot the worst drones ? 11 times your hardware breaks but ITS... O K

Around the Network
Maverick Hunter Z said:
Stating sony's perception of its fans is not insulting the fans themselves Ckmlb. No need for a warning and you know it.

How come we never see this kind of reaction out of you when Killzone3, Leo-J, PS3Owner or AIIAII attack MS or Ninty fans? Half the time I see you joining the feeding frenzy. Aren't Mods at least suppossed to pretend to be unbiased, especially ones who brag up owning all three consoles as proof of their purity?

On Topic: Blu-Ray was a technology they were going to try and push anyway, and seeing how it affected their sales I'm sure most Sony haters are glad they did include it in the PS3.

The Cell Processor, who knows, I'm sure they had their reasons but when you're trying to steel the thunder of MS, whose market strategy isn't that tricky (leaving them more vulnerable in the long term even if they do steel MS's thunder), a little snake oil doesn't hurt for bragging rights either.

Can you please list me your 360 gamertag.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Killzone3 said:
Ha! I love how the mass sales increase due to the price cut in the USA has spurred xbox fans back to posting fud.

Buddy Rockstar was strugling with the 360 version due to the constraints of DVD, they said so months ago.

You really want to get banned due to your trolling don't you?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

IMO the Cell processor is the most interesting part of the PS3, without it I would have been a lot less interested.

The Cell processor offers innovative technology potentially allowing unrivalled performance gains. Saying
the PS3 shouldn't have included the Cell because of its differences with previous technologies would IMO be like
stating
the Amiga shouldn't have included its multi-processing custom chips making the system a multi-media power house and most powerful home gaming system within a couple of years.

Developing for the PS3 isn't hard at all. Without using the SPEs at all the PS3 can produce games about on 
par with the current XBox 360 games library. However by tapping into the SPEs games can go far beyond.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

Without using the SPEs at all the PS3 can produce games about on par with the current XBox 360 games library.

Um... No. The 360 has a better video card, more flexible RAM usage, and the tri-core CPU is vastly more powerful than the PS3's CPU minus the SPEs. What on Earth gave you that idea?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

NJ5 said:
Killzone3 said:

You really want to get banned due to your trolling don't you?

not my fault fanboys cant handle the truth.