By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people have such short attention spans?

dolemit3 said:
RPG said:

Simple question, I have come on this site for a very long time as a guest and for the first half of the year it was Sony fanboys saying PS3 sales would catch up with 360 ones very soon as it was outselling the console worldwide. Now after a 360 price cut it is the other way round, people saying the PS3 is dead now, nothing can help it, a price cut next year will be too late etc etc etc.

Why do people not think rationally on this site? Of course many people do but honestly I have seen a lot of people who seem to only factor in the last month and then say x console is doomed. Another example is the amount of PS3 is doomed in Japn threads I have seen, thats right the PS3 is now apparently doomed because the 360 outsold the PS3 for a whole 10 weeks, completely ignoring the last 70+ weeks PS3 outsold it.

/rant --_+

The PS3 is doomed in Japan because it is tracking below the Game Cube, not because the 360 (very) rarely outsells it.

It makes up for the Japanese failure with the other two regions. Look at WW, and it doesn't look so bleak, does it?

Besides, PS3 weekly sales in Japan will never drop below 20k after FFXIII is released. GameCube had no saviour title like that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Maybe this is why most FPS sell good? cause people dont have a attention span to realize what they do in most FPS games does NOTHING to change anything.

HappySqurriel said:
RPG said:

Simple question, I have come on this site for a very long time as a guest and for the first half of the year it was Sony fanboys saying PS3 sales would catch up with 360 ones very soon as it was outselling the console worldwide. Now after a 360 price cut it is the other way round, people saying the PS3 is dead now, nothing can help it, a price cut next year will be too late etc etc etc.

Why do people not think rationally on this site? Of course many people do but honestly I have seen a lot of people who seem to only factor in the last month and then say x console is doomed. Another example is the amount of PS3 is doomed in Japn threads I have seen, thats right the PS3 is now apparently doomed because the 360 outsold the PS3 for a whole 10 weeks, completely ignoring the last 70+ weeks PS3 outsold it.

/rant --_+

Honestly, the reason that there seems to be so few people producing rational arguments is that rational arguments tend to kill threads whereas odd-fanboy logic leads to epic threads ...

Now, why the PS3 seems to be taking a bigger beating in the "System A is Doomed!" threads lately is because there is no rational arguments left for a major long term boost in PS3 sales in the near future.

This is why my threads have an average of 5 replies :(

And OP, if you're ranting about people having short attention spans - check your info. Having the wrong info is just as bad.

70 weeks would be a little over 1 1/4 year.

Let's look at the first of those quarters.

24th August - 24th November - 2007.

Ps3: 2061K

X360: 2735K.

I agree. The Ps3 was heavily outselling the 360 during this period.

Next quarter.

24th November 07 to 23rd February 08.

Ps3: 4372K

X360: 3677K

So they're pretty much dead evern for those 6 months. Not really the Ps3 outselling the 360 regularily for the time, huh?

So... Yeah. The Ps3 has been outselling the 360 on a weekly basis for 7 months. That is a pretty huge difference from 15 months (or actually 16, as you claim).

Next up.

How much did Ps3 win with weekly in those 7 months? Let's have a look.

Week ending 1st March to week ending 4th October

Ps3: 5362K

X360: 4539K

Difference: 823K. Over 30 weeks: 27.4K weekly. In %, the Ps3 sold ~ 18% more than the 360.

Right, okay. Week ending 11th October to week ending 22nd November (7 weeks).

Ps3: 1312K

X360: 1913K

Difference: 601K. Weekly - 86K.

So that's a pretty steep difference. In 7 weeks, the X360 caught up with the gap the Ps3 had made in 7 months.

It isn't about winning each week, it is about winning in total sales. If you "lose" 50 weeks by 10K, but then catch up and win one by 650K, you've done better than your opponent.

I'm pretty certain nobody will read this post though :(

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Cause when it takes longer for the ps3 to close the gap the potential market for HD-console buyers is getting smaller... cause they already bought a console.. for example:
now
potential HD-market = 100
ps3= 20
360=30
room left to sell = 50 for both

one year later
potential HD-market=100
ps3= 30
360=40
room left to sell = 40 for both

So a year later the ps3 has a smaller potential market to gain back on the 360..
or am I irrational now?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Garnett said:
Maybe this is why most FPS sell good? cause people dont have a attention span to realize what they do in most FPS games does NOTHING to change anything.

No wonder BioShock sold so badly! Humanity doesn't have the attention span to follow any story beyond "Look enemies, kill!"

It makes perfect sense.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Garnett said:

No wonder BioShock sold so badly! Humanity doesn't have the attention span to follow any story beyond "Look enemies, kill!"

It makes perfect sense.

Storys mean nothing,if someone else plays thru the same level your gonna see the sam default enemies,same scripted events,same linear levels as well.

Look at COD:WAW Say you beat the third level,you cant go back,you dont know what happened after that,you dont have any insight,so i makes playing thru it worthless.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Difference: 823K. Over 30 weeks: 27.4K weekly. In %, the Ps3 sold ~ 18% more than the 360.

Exactly! The biggest difference is that even when the 360 was "doomed", it was only being outsold by PS3 by roughly 20-30k units per week. Anyone who took the time to run the numbers could see that it wouldn't be passed until well into 2009, at the earliest. And that was assuming no response from Microsoft, which was rather silly.

Sony really is in trouble now, for two reasons: their financial situation prevents them from aggressively cutting the price, and their exclusive games don't seem to be attracting the same degree of interest as Microsoft (Gears 2) and Nintendo (everything first-party).

If your console is the most expensive, and you don't have any "killer" exclusive games at the moment, you're in trouble.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Exactly! The biggest difference is that even when the 360 was "doomed", it was only being outsold by PS3 by roughly 20-30k units per week. Anyone who took the time to run the numbers could see that it wouldn't be passed until well into 2009, at the earliest. And that was assuming no response from Microsoft, which was rather silly.

Sony really is in trouble now, for two reasons: their financial situation prevents them from aggressively cutting the price, and their exclusive games don't seem to be attracting the same degree of interest as Microsoft (Gears 2) and Nintendo (everything first-party).

If your console is the most expensive, and you don't have any "killer" exclusive games at the moment, you're in trouble.

There is another big problem too. Sony might still be worse set for a price-cut than Microsoft.

Now, I am approaching something I am new to, and haven't learnt anything about except for by VGChartz posts, so I may have some huge flaws here. If you find them, please tell me.

Assuming Microsoft and Sony both went even with consoles sold (initially, excluding software). This isn't really important to the analysis. It should be noted that Sony probably lost more than Microsoft before price cut/economy though.

PS: I am operating in Euros, but the same is the case for Americas.

X360 costs 199/249/299 euros.

Ps3 costs  349 euros

Microsoft cuts price by 50 on all SKUs, which means that they lose 50 euros pr console sold (before software).

Yen strengthens between 25 and 35% over Dollar, Pound and Euro. Dollar stays pretty equal with Pund/Euro. This means that Sony gets in 25-35% less pr Ps3 sold in revenue.

This means that Sony, has in reality made a 100 euro price cut, bigger than the 360.

It is really just a 90 euro cut though, as Ps3 sells about 1/10 of its total in Japan, in which the yen changes doesn't matter for them.

So, even though Microsoft dropped their price, they are still better set for a new price-cut than Sony is.  

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

You are talking about fanboys and rational thought. Is that even possible? Maybe in extremely rare circumstances; however doesn't that defy what a fanboy is?

everywhere you go there are assholes

yea, they're here too.