By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some Records 7th Gen Will Set

The one that seems to get the most talk around here is will the wii set the record for the highest selling system; I'll leave that one alone and give you some records that should easily fall.

Most sales by a 2nd place system: currently held by N64 (33 mil)

Most sales by a 3rd place system; currently held by GC (22 mil)

Most combines sales in a gen; currently held by gen 6 (180mil).

This means that potentially the top three spots and the combined total may all be owned by gen 7. Of course, later spots should be safe including top sales by a fourth place system (DC - 11mil) and top sales by a fiftth place system (Jaguar -  250k)

Around the Network

This gen isnt over

mM

I can't believe how terrible Jaguar really sold, LOL.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Although true, I'm a 100% sure this counts more or less for all generations, since the industry is still growing and actually only now is becoming mainstream entertainment.

BengaBenga said:
Although true, I'm a 100% sure this counts more or less for all generations, since the industry is still growing and actually only now is becoming mainstream entertainment.

While there is a degree of truth to this, just the way the pie keeps getting cut differently means its not completely true. Notice that the 2nd place record isnt from last gen, but two gens ago; SNES didn't break the NES record for first place; several records remained intact going from second gen to third.

Around the Network

So, are we supposed to add to the list too?

- The generation with most of the best selling software (in both top 10, top 20 and top 30, probably top 50).

-

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I presume when you said "system" you meant console only..... because PSP has already got the crown for best 2nd place system.

Some other records that will be set this gen.

Most owned game: Wii Sports (Super Mario Bros. is somewhere between 40 million and 50 million depending on which versions you include (like VC for instance) )

Highest sales AND attach ratio and for a non bundled game: Wii Play or Wii Fit

Best selling additional perephrial ever: Balance Board. (not sure about how many NES zappers there are, though it was bundled with NES [some?/many?/all?] so it's a debatable one as to whether it is "additional")

dolemit3 said:
I can't believe how terrible Jaguar really sold, LOL.

Hahaha I remember that thing! I was walking through a store and a little kid with his mom looked at his mom and said "Mommy...why has Atari always made the crappiest systems ever?" and the mother replied "i dont know son..i dont know"

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

@TWRoO: There were probably around 28.31 million Zappers made, since Duck Hunt cannot be played without it, and it's the highest-selling Zapper game. Wii Fit admittedly has quite a bit to go before it hits that milestone, but the Zapper was also packed in with the American NES for a very, very long time. So it has a slight advantage over Wii Fit.

@novasonic: Atari stopped being a good company practically the day they kicked Nolan Bushnell out. It's quite frankly amazing they've lasted as long as they have.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

It also has a chance of getting highest selling first place console, currently held by the PS2 with 122.5 million consoles (and counting)

EDIT: I need to learn how to read >.>

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective