By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XIII Is Not A Betrayal Or Disappointment

Jaws dropped at E3 2008 when Square Enix announced that Final Fantasy XIII was going multi-platform. While the game still is a PS3 exclusive in Japan, it will be hitting the Xbox 360 abroad.

There's a word that sums this up for many PS3 owners who bought the console specifically to play FFXIII. That word is "betrayal." Square Enix Corporate Director Shinji Hashimoto doesn't see it that way at all, saying:

I'd rather they not think of this as a "betrayal" or disappointment. It's not like we're canceling or delaying the PS3 version at all! It's more of an added bonus for 360 fans. We won't be putting them at a disadvantage in any way.

Producer Yoshinori Kitase explains that the team is currently working on the PS3 version and is at a point where the developers can put the build on BRD. After the PS3 version is completed, they'll focus on the Xbox 360. And then it'll be on the Xbox 360. Kitase ensures that just because Square Enix is doing an Xbox 360 port, it doesn't mean there will be a drop in quality or a reduction in scope for the PS3 version.

"The fact is, the PS3 version is what's in development right now, and the team is working to specialize that version to the very best of the PS3's abilities," says Kitase. "After that, we'll do the 360 port and optimize it to that particular hardware." These guys are pros, they should be able to wring the best out of both hardware.

Still, people have been waiting for this game for years now. Expectations are high. No matter how good this title is, Square Enix does have a formidable challenge ahead of itself. "We would have loved to have had it ready sooner for the console, but with the development of new hardware," adds Hashimoto, "it's become more and more complicated to develop software."

http://kotaku.com/5099719/square-enix-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-is-not-a-betrayal-or-disappointment

Around the Network

lol i hate that word "betrayal". anyways  good read.

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

please give credit to the people that wrote that article,

thanks for updateing with the link

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Of course it's dissapointment becouse they told that worldwide release will be simultaneous for ps3 x360 that means ps3 version is going to be delayed.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Of course it's dissapointment becouse they told that worldwide release will be simultaneous for ps3 x360 that means ps3 version is going to be delayed.

or maybe the translation will take the same time as a 360 port, in which case there may not be a delay. i feel this is most likely since they will ship the Japanese version first. porting the translation, should take no more than a business day.. the longer part will be playtesting the translated version 

the main reason i say this, is the history of ports for FF series to the west has taken about 6 months, more than enough time for the 360 port

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

The 360 port will be finished before the english translation of the game. You dont make an engine multiplatform to port games to other platforms for years.

Besides, if the guy who came out with the idea of Kingdom Hearts and created FFIX says it is for the best future of the series - then it is for the best future of the series.

umm wasnt GTA IV completed waay in advance on the 360 than the ps3... suck it up ppl!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Dude, people (and I use the term loosely) who don't own a Sony PLAYSTATION 3 Computer Entertainment System will be able to enjoy this game. If that isn't a betrayal of epic proportions, I don't know what is. Even Benedict Arnold and Vidkun Quisling are like, "WTF, Squeenix!?"

It is a smart business move and Square Enix will make a lot of money by porting the game to XBox 360.
Imagine how much money Rock Star would of missed out on if GTA IV remained PS3 exclusive. Exclusive games are becoming a thing of the past. Third parties want to make profits by making a cheap port of a game.

Producer Yoshinori Kitase explains that the team is currently working on the PS3 version and is at a point where the developers can put the build on BRD.

Does that mean they've basically finished the game?