By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Square Enix really stabbed Sony in the back

Wow, you're taking that way too seriously.
It's just a matter of business really.
Back in the mid 90's, they went from Nintendo to Sony. Now they are going multiplat.
You'll still get the game on your dear PS3 so less QQ more pew pew.
(besides, the game might be really really bad anyway, considering the current trend of quality in SE's games)

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Hey, welcome back in the 90s!

the only reason Square soft and Enix turned Sony is because Nintendo were absolute Jerks back then.  this time it's quite the opposite.

SE is running a god damn business, not a fan club service. the sooner you learn that the sooner you learn all the devs are after your money, not your love.

SE is not Sony's friends. Businesses in general are not freinds. They are businesses.

For years SE and Sony had a mutually beneficial relationship. Sony provided a dominant platform and SE was free to focus the development on that platform and save significant costs without losing much sales.

Sony, by its own missteps, lost the dominant position of yesteryears and with that its interests were not aligned anymore with SE's.

SE did what every business is required by law - act for the benefit of its shareholders. In this case - it correctly recognized that its shareholder value will be much higher if it will release its games to the more prevelant gaming platforms of this generation. And it did what it had to do.

Had SE put Sony's interests ahead of its shareholders, it's board and management would have failed their bona fide duties and would likely be ousted by its share holders.

This is business. Not social.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

ChronotriggerJM said:
Meh, it's the cost of multi-plat development :P SE is already getting brandished with lame-o status on some of it's recent releases. Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, lets hope Star Ocean 4 doesn't fall into the pit of suck as well :/ It seems like they've spread they're attention to thin, and I think it's starting to show.

Hopefully White Knight delivers on all fronts, and we could have another contender for the Japanese RPG Developer BAMF-con award.

SO4 seems fine for a game that doesn't come out for another 3 months.

Around the Network
Snake612 said:
I don't know whats with SquareEnix, I am so confused.

They are payed by microsoft, but they are acting a little bit so people dosen't notice by saying that final fantasy 13 and vs are going to stay exclusives in japan and the other world wide, i expect if the 360 cotinues to sell at least 8k per week that is what square enix what, jump complete out of sony wagon and go 360 by doing huge ip multiplataforms and less stellars IP going 360 exclusives, and give the ps3 the love of a turd.

sadly to say, but SE has disappointed me with the quality of their recent titles and business strategy.

@Riachu, yeah but being a 360 exclusive (for now anyway :P), has a bad omen written all over it ;/

I think if SE want's to be multi-plat, they need to stop with all this exclusive crap xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Square-Enix is the reason why there still is a point in buying a PS3 for japanese people and one of the few big companies still keep making games for PSP. Yet they "backstabbed" Sony. Nice.

I think PS fans want waaaay too much from SE - you want them to make everything exclusively for Playstation, and that's what they can't allow themselves to do this generation, because it would lead them to a bankrupcy.

lol @ loyalty in business. Businesses want profit not friends.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342