By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could slowing Wii sales in Japan finally prompt some kind of action?

A price cut? More colors? A redesign?

Just don't expect an HD version. It's the portable systems outselling it, which have even less resolution. So none of that crap about how the Wii's power is hurting it.

There might be an effort to get more games out that are known to sell, though. Let's see if Monster Hunter 3 turns this around. And if so, you just might get more so-called hardcore games down the line.

http://kotaku.com/5099066/wii-sales-slowing-7-million-units-sold-in-japan

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Selling consoles and software in Japan is more important than ever, as that's the only place where revenue isn't affected by the unfavorable exchange rates. They should definitely try to increase sales there.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Did I miss something? Isn't the Wii still outselling the competition? they're going to do something cause sales are slowing a teensy bit?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I think Monster Hunter 3 could have a big impact on Wii sales...

Monster Hunter 2G or whatever pretty much brought the PSP back from the dead in Japan and kept it alive for months. The game is still selling now.

But for now, I don't see Nintendo doing anything different in the immediate future. As long as it keeps outselling the other consoles on a weekly basis, they don't have to change much.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Animal Crossing should help and then Wii Sports Resort with WM+. Plus they have a lot of good games coming out in the spring it seems. If sales are still stagnant or falling then - yes a price cut or at least colours are in order.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

Monster Hunter 2G or whatever pretty much brought the PSP back from the dead in Japan and kept it alive for months.

The PSP never was dead in Japan.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

But it was a lot sooner than Monster Hunter 2G. It was actually when Monster Hunter Freedom 1 hit a million, when the PSP Slim came around, and when FF Crisis Core was released. Those were when the PSP started selling hot, and the sales were actually topping the DS for months.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

For home consoles, japanese market is pretty much irrelevant. :p

I thought the Japanese conference with all those new Wii games being announced from Nintendo themselves and the GC ports was action haha.

Price isn't an issue so I doubt that will happen but I would like to see them bundle a game with it. I think that would help.

Esa-Petteri said:
For home consoles, japanese market is pretty much irrelevant. :p

It is true that the Japanesse market is nowhere near what the American and European markets are (Others will soon be making America look like Japan but that's another story). But the Japanesse tend to latch on to one item (DS, PS2, NES) and ride it to amazing sales considering the population of the region. (If DS hits 30 million it would be at like 1/4 of the population, and it has a real shot). That combined with the fact that Video Gaming is inheriently Japanesse (kinda where most of it (and even more of the good ones) comes from) tells you why people still pay attention to the Japanesse market.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.