By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Midway concerned over PS3 sals

NJ5 said:
finalsquall said:
Why worry? Ps3 is on track! 4 mil in what 7months is not that bad. Only thing that makes the sales look bad is the phenomenal sales of the Wii. Other than that, I'd say the PS3 is doing well. Not to mention as every fan boy states (yes it will happen) the games are coming and they will sell the ps3.

Btw, I rented my Blue Ray Movie from Blockbuster (Australia) GAME ON!!!

Yes, the companies who are worried are wrong and should hire you as their official "non-worried person".

Instead of a Risk Assessor, he could be a Risk Denier. The "It's ok, guys" guy.

Around the Network
z64dan said:
NJ5 said:
finalsquall said:
Why worry? Ps3 is on track! 4 mil in what 7months is not that bad. Only thing that makes the sales look bad is the phenomenal sales of the Wii. Other than that, I'd say the PS3 is doing well. Not to mention as every fan boy states (yes it will happen) the games are coming and they will sell the ps3.

Yes, the companies who are worried are wrong and should hire you as their official "non-worried person".

What - me worry?

Well in the case of me and my friends Your Mother we are certainly capable of pirating video games. We simply chose not to as we would prefer to support the industry. I'll admit that I do have roms of quite a few games, but they are only of games I own or of games that no longer work (for example my copy of Earthbound crapped out on me, so I keep the rom around for when I have a craving to play it). However, from my experience, I rarely meet people who understand these processes. The PSP I would say is an exception to the rule, because piracy is so simple on it. Home systems though I really don't see pirated much in America.

Those 3rd party developers shouldn't worry too much.
The PS3 will catch up eventually

^^^ yeah, with the dreamcast.

Back to the discussion, Piracy is very bad for the industry. In the PS1 days, all my friends pirated, and PS1 didn't kill the industry. I remember one of my friends sent his PS1 into Best Buy where they put the mod chip in for $25. Then, he just rented games and burned them.

Around the Network
z64dan said:
NJ5 said:
finalsquall said:

Haha, thanks for the laugh :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Oh my, are we on the precipice of a new trend in compensatory Wii bashing by the Sony Fanbdom? Wii PIRACY!!!

"It's harder to pirate games on the PS3 so developers will go with that instead!"

Do we even have any hard stats on how much piracy is occuring on any of them? How about the 360? Is that why it isn't doing so well in Japan? Piracy? Oh wow! Guess people are having to reach deeper and deeper into the barrel to get mud out for slinging.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

your mother said:

Weighted average: 57.8%

This is not specifically video game software related, but software in general, if I'm not mistaken.

Precisely. Can we agree console games are at least a tad bit less susceptible to piracy than general software? In particular for consoles that need to be soldered for it?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I think, the thing is, Piracy on consoles for the most part is commited by people who are either A) Very tech savvy, B) Very poor. Nintendo is aiming to curb piracy on the Wii with all sorts of different measures. I read somewhere there are already a few different versions of the Wii already released, which means to mod it, you need something different for each version. Could be wrong though.

The fact that piracy is rampant in 3rd world/2nd world countries just reflects that MOST software is made in 1st world countries, usually by the richer countries still. Why would Microsoft bother boxing up windows (for instance) and selling it in China if they could honestly only get $10 for it? Nintendo is actively trying to sell software to China and actually make money, but obviously it is very hard to do.