By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Looks like Columbia is back on Netflix 360

JaggedSac said:
loy310 said:
Sony lost their competitive senses a long time ago. I'm really starting to think that Sony could careless about the Playstation division.

There is most likely a large chunk of money involved with these licenses.  Would be senseless to throw it away.

Exactly, money is money.

And the average person knows little to nothing about the different movie studios, so even if the PSN advertised, "Exclusive Columbia Pictures," the average person would have no idea what that meant.

I guess they could advertise individual movies as exclusives, but cutting off a source of revenue is like cutting off your nose to get back at someone.  Its just a bad idea.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
twesterm said:
leo-j said:
Doesnt sony own columbia pictures? This is a bad move for them IMO, its hurting the PSN because now XBL contains all of sony's movies, giving the PSN little to no advantage in the Downloadable movie market.

For the 100th time, Sony Pictures and Sony Gaming are two completely different entities.  I've been saying this all along.

It only hurts Sony Pictures by not letting 360 owners stream their content through Netflix.  True, it could help Sony Gaming, but Sony Pictures would rather let them both have the service.

I can understand that, however shouldn't someone high up enough in the Sony hierarchy be able to see that Sony Pictures offering their movies through digital distribution and on a competitors format is hurting the profitability and future success of the other divisions, namely Sony Electronics trying to get higher Blu-ray adoption and Sony Gaming PSN trying to offer a better exclusive content than it's rival in Xbox Live.

For the sake of one divisions increased revenue they're risking the attractivness and future of 2 others...hmmm interesting.

Fumanchu said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:
Doesnt sony own columbia pictures? This is a bad move for them IMO, its hurting the PSN because now XBL contains all of sony's movies, giving the PSN little to no advantage in the Downloadable movie market.

For the 100th time, Sony Pictures and Sony Gaming are two completely different entities.  I've been saying this all along.

It only hurts Sony Pictures by not letting 360 owners stream their content through Netflix.  True, it could help Sony Gaming, but Sony Pictures would rather let them both have the service.

I can understand that, however shouldn't someone high up enough in the Sony hierarchy be able to see that Sony Pictures offering their movies through digital distribution and on a competitors format is hurting the profitability and future success of the other divisions, namely Sony Electronics trying to get higher Blu-ray adoption and Sony Gaming PSN trying to offer a better exclusive content than it's rival in Xbox Live.

For the sake of one divisions increased revenue they're risking the attractivness and future of 2 others...hmmm interesting.

1. Keeping Sony Pictures movies off of Netflix won't do much for or against BluRay
  2. They don't make money if they don't license to Netflix and only give away licenses for free to Sony Gaming
  3. They make money if allow both to use it.
  4. Letting Netflix have Sony Pictures movies stream to the 360 isn't hurting Sony Gaming, not having Netflix on the PS3 is hurting Sony Gaming.

They could be jerks and just dick over Netflix and MS but I promise you they're much more interested in whatever makes them more money and letting Netflix stream Sony movies to the 360 makes them money.  The way they see it they have plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to sell the PS3.

Fumanchu said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:

Actually, ignore my last comment.  Here's a much easier way to think of it:

• If Sony Pictures doesn't allow Netflix streaming to the 360, Sony Pictures and Sony Gaming doesn't make any more or less money.  Sony as a whole does not look as good.
  • If Sony Pictures does allow Netflix streaming to the 360, Sony Gaming doesn't make any more or less money, but Sony Pictures makes more money.  Sony Pictures is better off, Sony Gaming is in the same place, and Sony as a whole looks better.

I still feel that Sony Pictures playing along with the new craze of digital distribution can't be helping the future success of Blu-ray. It's not only Netflix/360 but the newly released Blockbuster set-top box as well, which is meant to retail for $99 - one can only assume that Sony Pictures supports them as well. A single box connected to your tv with a limitless supply of new content seems much more appealing and convenient then having to go to the store to rent/buy a new movie and average Joe consumer will quickly adopt on word of mouth value. Perhaps they've just got to accept it as an inevitability and a sign of the times that it's here to stay so no use trying to fight it.

Around the Network

I did say this when the original threads went up, only a few people agreed with me. It never had anything at all to do with Sony. Did noone realise that although Columbias films werent there, Sony Pictures films were? That kinda gave you the answer without needing to read the original BS media stuff.

Just what I thought. It was all just red tape to begin with.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Fumanchu said:
I still feel that Sony Pictures playing along with the new craze of digital distribution can't be helping the future success of Blu-ray. It's not only Netflix/360 but the newly released Blockbuster set-top box as well, which is meant to retail for $99 - one can only assume that Sony Pictures supports them as well. A single box connected to your tv with a limitless supply of new content seems much more appealing and convenient then having to go to the store to rent/buy a new movie and average Joe consumer will quickly adopt on word of mouth value. Perhaps they've just got to accept it as an inevitability and a sign of the times that it's here to stay so no use trying to fight it.

What nobody bothered noticing in the mudslinging of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD was that the REAL next gen format battle was NetFlix vs BlockBuster. With digital on-demand services, the proliferation of IPTV, PDRs, and subscription based unlimited movie delivery now going digital, physical film media is going to fall by the wayside, much like what has happened in the music industry. To me, the whole thing is somewhat reminiscent of Sony trying to push MiniDiscs when the whole world discovered MP3 players.

This is not a surprise. First off Netflix's agreement with the movie industry (including Sony) says they can distribute movies. They can distribute movies is digital format, they started streaming movies over the net over a year ago. Columbia Pictures was in the original contract. The XBOX 360 may be a gaming system but it is still an internet device. Netflix would win any legal case brought against it by Sony. I'm guessing Sony gave up in the end.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus