By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why do people refuse to pay for online?

I wish Sony would charge for their online. I imagine they are losing substantial amounts of money by providing that service for free. I would gladly pay $40 if it is a desirable service-PSN is a desirable service.

Around the Network

Why pay when its free on another console? If 360 owners all refused to pay for live, microsoft would have to make it free.

Take a stand, and fight for your free online!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

kirby007 said:
Hope this is not offending anyone

Cause they are human and we humans are cheap bastards

I was just to say because we shouldn't have to.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Since M$ somehow doesn't have to pay for infrastructure with their Live revenue, they must be spending it on moneyhats, so I guess it is good for 360 owners in the long run as they get M$ exclusives(Halo 3, Gears 2, Fable 2) and also games they would not have otherwise received.

colonelstubbs said:
Why pay when its free on another console? If 360 owners all refused to pay for live, microsoft would have to make it free.

Like i said, it's going to be interesting to see how sony expenses out home...as you're going to be talking about a mssive about of server support.  Currently, Second Life is the closest thing to HOME, that's already out on the market, but Eve might also be model...both those are paid services...for the premium features in second life.  So, I'm not sure how Sony will expense this out, and given that the ps3 is already a money loser per console, why would you deepen the operating cost of the console's lifecycle?  Each console sold will only increase the cost and complexity of the home network?  If they get it to work for free, that's going to be EXCELLENT for all gamers, but I'm doubtful, unless someone can explian the financials to me.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

I guess because people believe it you spend so much on consoles,online should be free. However, because of how big the internet is and how much profit they can make from it. Thats why they charge the online so much. Especially when you have a 360.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

heruamon said:
colonelstubbs said:

Like i said, it's going to be interesting to see how sony expenses out home...as you're going to be talking about a mssive about of server support.  Currently, Second Life is the closest thing to HOME, that's already out on the market, but Eve might also be model...both those are paid services...for the premium features in second life.  So, I'm not sure how Sony will expense this out, and given that the ps3 is already a money loser per console, why would you deepen the operating cost of the console's lifecycle?  Each console sold will only increase the cost and complexity of the home network?  If they get it to work for free, that's going to be EXCELLENT for all gamers, but I'm doubtful, unless someone can explian the financials to me.

Home is going to have advertising in it. So basically it will just become another marketing avenue and thats where the money is going to be coming from.

1.) My friend just got a deal from blockbuster where for $20 a month, he can have one game out at a time, but he can exchange it as many times as he wants

2.) Demo =/= full game

3.) The competition has a fully competent online system. Yes its not better than live, but I can do what I consider to be the most important feature of an online service for free, which is play games :P

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Because when the same product is out there offering it for free, people take the free.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

colonelstubbs said:

ill continue to pay to keep suckers like you off of it.