By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why do people refuse to pay for online?

$250 over the five-year lifespan of a console can be put towards so many other things.

More games
Extra controllers
Another console(wii)
DS or PSP + a few games

Throw in another $200 and that's a nice TV or a receive and speaker set-up.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network

lol...not a very good arguement, I hate renting from blockbusters now ($10, wtf!!) but its much better than demos....

I don't mind paying for online though, every game i've tried online plays excellent and its worth it, could get even cheaper soon...

Lord N said:

$250 over the five-year lifespan of a console can be put towards so many other things.

More games
Extra controllers
Another console(wii)
DS or PSP + a few games

LOL.  You think $250 in 5 years is a lot.  Maybe I should show you my bills.

toastboy44562 said:

I play like 4 demos a month. Normally at blockbuster this would cost about $30.

So instead of paying $30 in rentals I pay about 4 dollars a month on live.

That's a $24 dollar savings every month!

Don't you agree that by paying for live it can save you money in the long run?

No sony fans' attacks please!

I believe in hte model M$ has implemented for XBL to-date, and the results have deliver on the best online experience on any console to-date.  I don't really know what the PSN is like, and I've have no idea how Sony expects to offset the cost of Home, moving into the future.  Looking at the the MMO model in the industry, server support is expensive and very strenous on the system.  Sony has several MMO properties, so I'm not sure why they haven't look at pay-as-you need model in those game...ie POTBS Galaxies, but will use it in Home.  My gut tells me that incremental improvement approach for XBL is the soundest way to go, and prices are dropping on the annual renewal of XBL.   

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Your points don't make much sense.
Demo =/ Renting a game

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Lord N said:

More games
Extra controllers
Another console(wii)
DS or PSP + a few games

LOL.  You think $250 in 5 years is a lot.  Maybe I should show you my bills.

I know right...

I spent more on chips and candy bars in that period, and I am sure most gamers DON'T  need that crap.  I'm a WoWhead, and I've got an account in POTBS and my liftetime $199 for LOTRO...so the $38.99 for 13 months of XBL is a heck of a deal.  If that's too much ofr you to pay for an constantly improving online environment, then I've got different priorities.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live-Month-Gold-Bonus/dp/B000B9RI00/ref=pd_ts_zbw_vg_14112941_1?pf_rd_p=302726701&pf_rd_s=right-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14220161&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=042N9S8KTX7RNPZ0SPQB

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I don't intend on paying for Live when I get my 360 this christmas simply because I don't play enough multiplayer on consoles to justify it. I've paid more for separate MMOs without feeling ripped off.
Glad to hear demos and videos are, albeit a week later, accessible without paying. Those are marketing, not features, paying for them would be retarded.

We already paid for the system. There is no reason we should keep paying for something that should already be there for free.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I don't rent or pay for online... I win

Why should you have to pay for P2P gaming, just so someone can flip a switch allowing your traffic.
If that game uses server then I can understand, MMO's for example, but most PC game have player run and paid for servers
PSNstore, and XBmarket should pay for themselfs with games etc.

So really what are you paying for?
I believe MS pays ISP's some money so that XBL traffic can have a better priority, but I'm not getting that in the UK.

And a lot of the features, are free one the PC, so I don't see why they'd end up costing me £30 or something per user.