By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Planning on buying a Psp....any help?

The psp 3000 has NOT been hacked at all, yet. The datel service tool allows you to place the 3k in service mode but there has been no pre IPL dump developed yet which is needed to create the memory stick essentially making the service tool pointless at this moment. It may take weeks, months or never for the pre IPL to be hacked. And IF that does happen it will take months more for the creators of various emu's and other device mod's to update their software to be usable with the 3k.

The only hackable models are Slim's specifically the ones with OFW under 4.00. The later ones have a new motherboard also used in the Psp 3000 which cannot be hacked, yet.

Around the Network

Don't buy a PSP.

Just don't.

Get a DS or PS2 instead.

DMJ I already have a DS. I just want the psp mostly to play old NES & SNES (and of course, God of War)

So, the psp 2000 i guess.... and how am i supposed to know about this... OFW under 4.00????

google psp hacks for your rom info. the forum on that site is great help as it helped me with my psp 2000 imported version.

DMeisterJ said:
Don't buy a PSP.

Just don't.

Get a DS or PS2 instead.

Nice try.

Maynard, avoid PSP Slim (2000) with TA88v3 board, because that one isn't hackable yet.  Try to get one with  pre-4.00 board.

Around the Network

The thing is you can't be sure if you're psp slim is hackable or not. One way to be fairly sure (or almost certain) is to buy either the Daxter bundle or God of War bundle as I do not believe either of those have received a facelift in the form of a new motherboard. An even safer way would be to buy a used model of either of the above two.

The new motherboards started coming out early summer so if you just want to buy a standalone, piano black used psp then buy one that was purchased by the original owner before the summer of 2007 and ask them what their ofw was to make sure.

Look at this pic - the blurred bit (under the battery cover) is the serial number. If the first 3 characters are AK8, it's TA-088 board, and one of the revs of the board (v3) is unhackable.

]

^ well in that case...i'll probably try to look for the god of war bundle.... but i wanted a black or silver psp so, is daxter a good game??? because i found this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000U9TXJ0/sr=8-3/qid=1227664553/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1227664553&sr=8-3&seller=&colid=&condition=used

The first one says that it has homebrew capabilities.... what's that???

I just checked and freaking god of war bundle is $260 in amazon (cheapest one) -.-

Get a 2000 or very early 2001. My bro's 2001 can hack, it came with FW 3.8 I believe and some version of the TA-088 mother board. Mine's however can't and it came with 4.01 FW and some appearantly v3 of TA-088 mother board so.... yea.....

4 ≈ One

Yeah, anything pre-4.00 should be hackable...