By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ANOTHER way third parties screw consumers and themselves on the Wii.

We all know that third parties struggle on the Wii, though the reason why is a constant debate. Just noticed something that could be a contributing factor as well.  

FACT: HD games are priced at $60 USD due to high development costs. Games are ported between PS3 and 360 to maximize profits. Wii games are typically $50 USD due to lower development costs, and many (if not most) times are ported from PS2 games, though recently some Wii games have been ported to PS2.

FACT: Yet even though the development costs are shared between Wii/PS2, games are many times priced with a $10 higher list price on Wii. Even when they are the exact same game. This goes for some big multiplatform titles, as well as liscensed games. Now if the Wii versions had extra content or a seperate build this would make sense. But in most cases that is not the reason.

A lot of people (especially families) who had a PS2 upgraded to this gen with a Wii. If the exact same game same is $10 cheaper on PS2, is it worth it to them to pay $10 more for added waggle control?

I list quite a few examples below, from big holiday titles to kidware. The worst offense on the list to me is Disney's new family trivia game Think Fast. The PS2 version is not only priced $10 less than the Wii version, but it includes 4 controllers. The wii version uses your own wiimote. 

I have always thought the third parties cause thier own grief on the Wii, and this is just another way to add to that grief.  

THEORY 1: If 3rd Parties priced these titles on Wii at the lower PS2 price sales would rise on them enough to offset the $10 price difference and 3rd party sales would increase.

THEORY 2: If 3rd parties priced the PS2 versions at the higher Wii price, PS2 software sales would slow and Wii software sales would increase.   

A few recent examples:

Need For Speed Undercover - PS2 $39.99, Wii $49.99

Call of Duty WAW: PS2 $39.99, Wii$49.99

James Bond Quantum of Solace - PS2 $39.99, Wii $49.99

Monopoly - Same exact game. PS2 $29.99 Wii $39.99

MLB Power Pros 2008 - PS2 $19.99, Wii $39.99

Tomb Raider Underworld PS2 $29.99 Wii $39.99

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 PS2 $39.99 Wii $49.99

Disney Sing It : PS2 Bundle with Mic $49.99, Wii Bundle with Mic $59.99. Without Mic PS2 $29.99, Wii $39.99. Same Game.

Disney THINK FAST : A BUZZ styled trivia game for families to play. PS2 version comes with 4 Buzz Buzzers included for  $39.99. Wii version uses the Wiimote - $49.99. WHAT? Buzz games with buzzers on PS2 sell for $39.99 with controllers, without they sell for $29.99. Yet they want $50 for you to play with your existing controllers?

Monster Jam Urban Assault: PS2 $29.99, Wii $39.99

Rock University presents Naked Brothers Band : PS2 $39.99, Wii $49.99

Spongebob Globs of Doom : PS2 $29.99 Wii $39.99

I could go on and on with this list, but in more cases than not, games ported between Wii & PS2 are priced to screw the Wii owner.

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, though I've noticed it for quite some time. I'm actually surprised NeoGaf hasn't been on this. Thoughts?  

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Well, I have another interesting fact to add:

In most European countries (well at least in Germany) Nintendo's first party titles retail for 49.99 Euro

But Third Party titles often retail for as much as 59.99 Euro!

This is 10 Euro more for a game that is probably not quite as good as the Nintendo game next to it (no, I'm not talking about the good quality third party software, just the bad efforts).

Now you may be able to imagine why I always have a bad feeling when I buy a Third Party game on Wii. Not so much with my Xbox360 but that's because most third party games are good quality on Microsoft's console.

@ Louie : Excellent point...

BAM! There it is!

Tomb Raider does have some extra 'puzzles' on Wii for use with the IR controls. Not sure they are worth anything really but it's something.

But otherwise you are totally right and this is a ridiculous double standard.

However, often PC versions of similar games will cost less than the console version and even on core game often the PC versions drop in price a lot faster than console versions so Wii isn't alone with that issue.

Usually the developer has added some IR or waggle, so it feels it should get $10 for this (minimal) effort.

But I too have been perplexed by the price points of ports.

Furthermore, I have wondered about where game prices start at. Many games just feel like they are $10 too high on the Wii (i.e., anything Activision is currently offering). I have bought some (i.e., Boom Blox) and enjoyed them. But I am not surprised when the price is reduced -- I paid the early-adopter penalty.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Third party companies working on Nintendo consoles has often been a class on how one sets themselves up for failure. This generation is no different. Look as Square-Enix: They charge premium prices for all of their DS games.

Resident_Hazard said:
Third party companies working on Nintendo consoles has often been a class on how one sets themselves up for failure. This generation is no different. Look as Square-Enix: They charge premium prices ($40 USD) for all of their DS inexpensive ports of really old SNES games.

fixed

BAM! There it is!

RolStoppable said:
Louie said:

Well, I have another interesting fact to add:

In most European countries (well at least in Germany) Nintendo's first party titles retail for 49.99 Euro

But Third Party titles often retail for as much as 59.99 Euro!

This is 10 Euro more for a game that is probably not quite as good as the Nintendo game next to it (no, I'm not talking about the good quality third party software, just the bad efforts).

Now you may be able to imagine why I always have a bad feeling when I buy a Third Party game on Wii. Not so much with my Xbox360 but that's because most third party games are good quality on Microsoft's console.

Usually the worse a Wii third party game is, the more it costs. Except Boom Blox, it was terrible, but did only cost €35.

Yeah, that's it. Nice said, Roland! 

I think Nintendo has higher licensing fees for Wii than Sony does for PS2. But I could be wrong.

I wonder what percentage of PS2 ports are priced higher on the Wii. I bet it's well over 80%. That's criminal.

BAM! There it is!