By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony - The Wii is great…but the EyeToy is better

A portion of a GamesIndustry interview with Sandy Spangler and Mark Parry, game designers for the EyeToy group at London studio…

GI: What are the advantages of using EyeToy, versus a motion-tracking device such as the Wii remote?

Sandy Spangler: It’s more intuitive, it’s very clear, as opposed to trying to figure out how to… use the Wii remote in ways that maybe naturally don’t make sense - you wave it a lot to do activities where you wouldn’t be waving in real life. Whereas what we always try and do with our games is make a direct correlation between the motion that you’re doing and the action on screen, the effect you’re having on the game.

Also there’s the aspect of the camera that you can see yourself in the game, you can take pictures of the player playing the game, you can map people faces onto things and all those lovely things you can do with a camera that you can’t do with a motion sensor.

But [the Wii] has also been great because now there’s that much more interest in casual gaming and other ways to interface with games. I think it’s just great, it’s just making that many more people out there who maybe would never have thought about buying a videogame system or playing videogames - suddenly they’re interested. That’s expanding the market, that’s always good.

Check out the full interview here

Around the Network

Well you do have to promote your product, don't you...?

I'd still prefer the Wiimote though..

Wow! A company promoting their product WITHOUT degrading their competition! Is that even legal?!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Wow!Sony  promoting their product WITHOUT degrading their competition! Is that even legal?!

Fixed.

And I think he's onto a good point :P I wouldn't say the Eyetoy is there yet, but tech vs tech I can agree almost completely ^^ I just think the wiimote is better in regards to "holding things". I'm not sure how well I could have a lightsabre duel without something to hold :P That's just silly!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

The eye toy is far more innovative than the wii mote, but is anyone buying it? No

mM
Imthelegend said:
thekitchensink said:
Wow!Sony  promoting their product WITHOUT degrading their competition! Is that even legal?!

Fixed.

Yeah, because MS is always so admirably kind to their competitors....

i got the ps eye. i never use it. mainly because hardly any games that i like implement it.

It does have a lot of potential, I give you that. The Cell is brilliant for the type of calculations needed for motion tracking.

Tease.

RolStoppable said:
leo-j said:
The eye toy is far more innovative than the wii mote, but is anyone buying it? No

Why didn't you buy it?

Lol!!!!

OT: well, i'll take the wiimote any day