By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

@alfredo: I said 2009 is indeed gonna be the year of third party games for the Wii. But I also said it's gonna be the worst year ever for 1st party games on a Nintendo console.

None of those 1st party games are coming out in the Americas save for the ones I named. I believe that Japan is the last core Nintendo bastion that remains in the world, with more than triple the amount of games published by Nintendo getting released there in comparison to America and Europe. I believe that Nintendo doesn't need core gamers in order to succeed outside Japan, that's why they are not gonna release any of those games they announcved at their conference, save for the ones I named (Unless Reggie decides that those games arent suited for Americans, since they are too violent, they involve guns and blood or sex (FF4, Disaster, Captain Rainbow. That's too dangerous for people)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Ugh this whole casual and hardcore thing really is getting old... It makes me sick to hear it over and over again. You don't like Wii-fine. You don't like the games on it-fine. But geez, does everyone need to make such a big deal out of it? Why so much hate? It's 100% pointless and won't give you any benefits... You'll only look like a big geeky idiot bitching about a console on the internet. Why don't you go play your so called "hardcore" games instead of bashing Wii?

Seems like people have nothing better to do... It's pathetic! *Sigh*

This goes also for people bitching about other consoles too... Just I hear more whining over the Wii these days.

DTG said:
first party doesn't equal hardcore. Nintendo's first party franchises have decreased in difficulty these past two generations to allow casual games a chance, pretty much diluting any hardcore aspirations they may have had.

So difficulty determines what's hardcore?

Khuutra said:
DTG said:
first party doesn't equal hardcore. Nintendo's first party franchises have decreased in difficulty these past two generations to allow casual games a chance, pretty much diluting any hardcore aspirations they may have had.

Its about barriers to entry, longtime gamers don't like that just anyone can play, they want it to be hard so only people who want to invest a lot of time can play

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Khuutra said:
DTG said:

Its about barriers to entry, longtime gamers don't like that just anyone can play, they want it to be hard so only people who want to invest a lot of time can play

You let him answer, mister, it's a DTG-aimed question and I expect a DTG answer.

And that definition is ridiculous past reasoning. Ssomeone who can beat Donkey Kong is a hardcore gamer but that does not necessarily make Donkey Kong a hardcore game.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Khuutra said:
DTG said:

You let him answer, mister, it's a DTG-aimed question and I expect a DTG answer.

And that definition is ridiculous past reasoning. Ssomeone who can beat Donkey Kong is a hardcore gamer but that does not necessarily make Donkey Kong a hardcore game.

Oh i'm not saying that I agree , but I have talked to others who have voiced that sentiment

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I do not like their faces, sir!

You would think a "professional" would find a different word besides harcore.

Anyways I like this:

"Has Nintendo lost the hardcore gamer? Depends: Do you mean the Halo and Gears of War fans who want M-rated titles? Yes, they lost them like eight years ago when they failed to follow up on the success of Goldeneye in any meaningful way. But do you mean the gamer who cares about fun, challenging, traditional videogames no matter what they look like? No, Nintendo has not lost these people," says Chris Kohler of Wired, who points to the company's 2009 lineup as proof.

Ah the cries of the so-called hardcore gamers as their dominance of the market is washed away by the whims and fancies of little girls, soccer moms and seniors.

Gamerace said:
Ah the cries of the so-called hardcore gamers as their dominance of the market is washed away by the whims and fancies of little girls, soccer moms and seniors.

I'm hardly hardcore, but that's nothing to be proud. Lowest common denominator is always trash.