By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

Sheershaw said:
mike_intellivision said:
Nintendo is taking a break -- trying to leave room for the third-parties. It worked with the DS, it does not appear to be working as well with the Wii.

That's the reason for Reggie's comment -- it was a warning to third-parties who don't figure things out soon.

The Wii has almost matched the GC's output of first-party titles -- in two years. So Nintendo can't be faulted too much. Funny thing, had it been slower and released MK Wii this Xmas, no one would be complaining.

Mike from Morgantown

Warning against what? I know it has to be a warning, since Nintendo has no need to beg third-parties to join (they're doing fine on their own). And I know the industry is having major changes, with Nintendo's side reaping positive results while the HD side mostly negative. But it sounds like Nintendo has something bug up their sleeves.

The warning is that Nintendo has many titles it is ready, willing and able to develop and it could release them en masse until the cows come home. This would increase Wii demand (while lessening demand for the competition). It would also help move gamers away from Wii Sports Clones and several-year old Pitfall PS2 ports that Activision is trying to sell to better games.

In other words, Nintendo has plenty up its sleeves.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
Sheershaw said:
mike_intellivision said:
Nintendo is taking a break -- trying to leave room for the third-parties. It worked with the DS, it does not appear to be working as well with the Wii.

That's the reason for Reggie's comment -- it was a warning to third-parties who don't figure things out soon.

The Wii has almost matched the GC's output of first-party titles -- in two years. So Nintendo can't be faulted too much. Funny thing, had it been slower and released MK Wii this Xmas, no one would be complaining.

Mike from Morgantown

Warning against what? I know it has to be a warning, since Nintendo has no need to beg third-parties to join (they're doing fine on their own). And I know the industry is having major changes, with Nintendo's side reaping positive results while the HD side mostly negative. But it sounds like Nintendo has something bug up their sleeves.

The warning is that Nintendo has many titles it is ready, willing and able to develop and it could release them en masse until the cows come home. This would increase Wii demand (while lessening demand for the competition). It would also help move gamers away from Wii Sports Clones and several-year old Pitfall PS2 ports that Activision is trying to sell to better games.

In other words, Nintendo has plenty up its sleeves.

Mike from Morgantown

Oooh, sounds fun :p.

The main problem for 3rd parties is Wii's power. Had it been more powerful (even half as powerful as PS3/360), we wouldn't have this discussion.

Yes, they have lost the last "exclusive" hardcore gamers I believe. No true hardcore gamer could probably gotten enough with the Wii only this year, since there hasn't been anything coming out. Hardcore gamers who game a lot probably have gotten a secondary console and started gaming more on it.

Still things from 1st party titles arent looking good, 2009 looks like it's going to be the worst year ever with only GC ports, Wii Sports Resort and possibly, if Reggie doesnt interfere, S&P 2 and Punch Out.

Nonetheless, there's people who only own a Wii and are core gamers with little time to game. They could be put in the core gamers that play casually category. I'm included there. I got enough with my Wii, but this year was terribly poor. 2009 is only getting worse, but at least 3rd parties are stepping up next year.

I hold firm to my prediction that 2010 will be the year of the Wii.

2006 was the launch year, so we got enough games, 2007 was the year of the 1st party games, 2008 was the worst year ever for any console IMO, 2009 will be the year of the third party games and the worst year ever from a first party perspective. Lastly 2010 will be the year of the Wii. With excellent 3rd party and finally some games from Nintendo (At least that's what I hope, since next year with the real small amount of games Nintendo is launching, one can only believe they are gonna relelase them in 2010)

If by 2010 Nintendo keeps on ignoring their fans, then not only they would have lost the hardcore gamers, but also their longtime fans. Anyways they will have a huge userbase of casual gamers.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Stever89 said:
Why why WHY can't Animal Crossing be both a so-called (though wrongly) "hardcore" game and a so-called (though again... wrongly) "casual" game at the same time? Oh wait, that's right. Because that would hurt "hardcore"'s feelings even though many of their games cater to the "casual" crowd anyway. This whole "hardcore" vs "casual" is so tiresome and stupid I feel like I'm back in middle school.

I have a 10 page rant on this wherein I also say how we should categorize games-gamers but I'm way too lazy to type it up. Until then, stay classy Matt.

Most, if not all popular games, are casual to an extent. Some also have a strong hardcore following. Mario fits into this category, so does Halo and Zelda - if to a lesser extent.

The either/or argument is pretty silly. There is only a handful of games that are so niche that can be termed hardcore only. More games are either casual/hardcore or casual.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network

Having similar graphical capabilities and conventional controls didn't help the little purple cube.

Can we have an insta-ban on anyone using the word hardcore... Unless it's to describe everybody's favorite genre of movie of course

trestres said:
Still things from 1st party titles arent looking good, 2009 looks like it's going to be the worst year ever with only GC ports, Wii Sports Resort and possibly, if Reggie doesnt interfere, S&P 2 and Punch Out.

Please check this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341519

Its another waaah, Nintendo isn't catering to my needs editorial, well you want to know why they aren't because the "core gamers" abandoned them years ago, during the last two gaming eras, they went to the Playstation one and 2a nd then later also to the Xbox, leaving the N64 and GCN to wither and die. Nitnendo realized that fighting over that segment was a losing path and went elsewhere, and now thatits the hot system and the 360 and PS3 are lagging behind they are upset that Nintendo isn't doing what they want.

Its like dumping a girl because you thnk she's fat and then seeing her years later looking hot and getting angry and jealous that she's dating some other guy.

Any "core gamer" who is upset should direct their anger at the third parties if they feel that the Wii doesn't have games for them, that is the role of the third party, not Nintendo

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

alfredofroylan, you're a bad person. To make up for it, you could send my the thousands of dollars I'm going to want to spend next year on Wii games

Please?