By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony wants to raise prices!

Sony's PS3 has a high enough price point as it is , Sony need affordable PS3's for a profit so the most likely outcome is that the price won't change upwards or downwards.

Around the Network
El Duderino said:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

Ergh, if only that was the case, then everything would be for the greater good. Unfortunatly, we live in a world where if the 49% are loud or rich enough, they can take the rights from the 51%

El Duderino said:
goddog said:
El Duderino said:
goddog said:
SamuelRSmith said:
1) This is for the UK only.
2) It may not (and probably won't) include the PS3.
3) VAT is going to drop by 2.5%, helping them a little bit.

This is the perect time for the UK to take up the Euro. Europe wants us to, economists want to, politicians want to. But we can't, why? Because Labour want to have half a chance of winning the (probably) 2010 elections.

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy doesn't work"

democracy/republics, are still far better then all the other options. 

Nope, having a wise, just and peacefull Dictator/King is by far the best option... just ask Aristoteles, I´m pretty sure he knew a little something about democracy and other forms of government...

yea because the power of a king has never corrupted the men and women at that position, and they will always hold the people before their own beliefs. and never oppress ideas they dont agree with. 

the ternary of the many is preferable to the ternary of the few 

I was talking about a best case cenario, of course a monarchy is most instable of all the forms and can go from good to bad instantly... but a good king can do more good in less time compared to a democracy, a bad democracy might be better than a bad monarchy but a good democracy is crippled for the same reasons a bad one is... in the end the democray might be better since its more stable and there aren´t many chances for extremes but there is very little chance for drastic improvement and its easily misslead by a demagogue who then has king like powers...

Jefferson summed up my problems with democracy pretty well:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

very true that, but the odds of a good king ship are very slender.  and the results as you pointed out more extreme with a king ship. but stability is the key and democracy thrives on it, which allows for more people to benefit from the system on average. countries where the democracy/republic are run as a primary form of government by and large have a higher standard of living, and education (I am talking about real democracy/republics not monarchies disguised as them, such as south africa)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

SamuelRSmith said:
El Duderino said:

Ergh, if only that was the case, then everything would be for the greater good. Unfortunatly, we live in a world where if the 49% are loud or rich enough, they can take the rights from the 51%

Agreed... expecially since we U.S. Americans have a glorious system in which someone like Gore can get more that 50% of all votes and yet lose the election... also I believe democracy means everyone has the right to do what they want when they want as long as they are not disrupting the rights of others... when the hell did we forget about that ???

El Duderino said:
SamuelRSmith said:
El Duderino said:

Agreed... expecially since we U.S. Americans have a glorious system in which someone like Gore can get more that 50% of all votes and yet lose the election... also I believe democracy means everyone has the right to do what they want when they want as long as they are not disrupting the rights of others... when the hell did we forget about that ???

Well, the UK has that problem, too. In the last election, only ~20% of the electorate voted for Labour, they have over 50% of the seats in Parliament. It's a curse and a blessing of the first-past-post system, it's tendancy to produce a completely disproportionate result is coupled with it's tendancy to produce a strong, single-party government.

Coalition governments can be good in some circumstances, it works well in Germany because there tends to be a lot of consensus between the parties, but in the US, and particularly in the UK, there is a huge amount of adversary between the parties, which means that coalition governments would be weak. In the UK, it would also give the Liberal Democrats far too much power, as they would end up in power nearly every term, as they are the middle party. Which, again, is undemocratic.

Alas, there is no perfect system for voting in our parliaments or presidents, and even if there was, we wouldn't know about it, as these poor electoral sysems keep the same parties in power - they're not going to want to change that, and ruin their chances of staying in power.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
@ Tboy............it doesnt mention ps3 will be affected, quit using economic downturn as a kind of attack on sonys console.

its a fail thread.

True, but this is the sony forum, not the PS3 only forum.  The article is about sony, and I've seen it posted several other places around the internet. 

Sony is getting hammered by exchange rates right now so they need to do something to preserve profitability.  The economic downturn is especially relevant to them as they manufacture luxury goods, which are the first thing people cut out of the budget when times get tough.

El Duderino said:
SamuelRSmith said:
El Duderino said:

so you dont believe in states rights either?

also neither candidate in the 00 election got more than 50% of the vote. 

as to your second part, well when we decided we needed protection from ourselves.... personally i feel its a retarded idea, but there is no political party for me... social liberal, fiscal conservative,  I also firmly believe in the separation of church and state 

to OP very sorry for derailing your thread 

goddog said:
El Duderino said:
SamuelRSmith said:
El Duderino said:

so you dont believe in states rights either?

also neither candidate in the 00 election got more than 50% of the vote.

as to your second part, well when we decided we needed protection from ourselves.... personally i feel its a retarded idea, but there is no political party for me... social liberal, fiscal conservative,  I also firmly believe in the separation of church and state

to OP very sorry for derailing your thread

Twesterm pretty much killed the thread first post. We are free; FREE.

@goddog: Cartain state rights are fine... but in one country there needs to be one law... not a different one in each state... and why should a persons vote in one state count more than that in another ??? Also a government that takes peoples rights telling them its for their own protection is fashist... sadly that happens in one way or another in every government...

I´m also 100% for seperation of government and church... but the values of every democracy are in some way founded on religious believes and we have to stop denying that... we don´t need to remove the "t" in every aspect of the government just because it looks like a cross... 

Oh and I´m not sorry for derailing the thread... it was cramping my style and the new topic is more interesting anyway...

El Duderino said:

@goddog: Cartain state rights are fine... but in one country there needs to be one law... not a different one in each state... and why should a persons vote in one state count more than that in another ??? Also a government that takes peoples rights telling them its for their own protection is fashist... sadly that happens in one way or another in every government...

I´m also 100% for seperation of government and church... but the values of every democracy are in some way founded on religious believes and we have to stop denying that... we don´t need to remove the "t" in every aspect of the government just because it looks like a cross... 

Oh and I´m not sorry for derailing the thread... it was cramping my style and the new topic is more interesting anyway...

A because we are a republic and not a democracy, and B because it was part of a compromise to form our union, without that rule we would not be the united states, at best we would be a confederation of independent nations, much like the EU.     and I have to disagree each state can have laws to regulate its own populace as that populous has voted. the centralization of power by the federal government though in my view unconstitutional, is the natural progression of a republic/democracy. 

as for your founding idea based on religious beliefs, the founding fathers denied it in the treaty of tripoli (treaty with the barbary pirates)... I do agree removing the T is a bit retarded, but using religious views to hold up (edit) Back science is bullshit