By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Chances the ?Red Ring? becomes in issue this holiday season.

leo-j said:

Not tryin to bring any negative news...

You, bring negative news?  Never...    uh, wait a minute, see your post 5 or so up:

"If you get a white 360 yep it will happen, even if you get the elite. The 65nm is going to have some of the same problems just prolongs the life."

Please...  give us a break.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I think Microsoft should hire leo-j, he clearly knows a lot about the hardware problems in the 360.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Ohh Halo3 and GTA4 will kill millions of 360s.

This article has had an engineer specializing in thermal design analyze the 360.... something tells me that even with the new heatsink, MS is still going to have a lot of problems with fixing the 360s.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070801/137224/

I don't know if anyone realizes it, but microsoft outsourced the DESIGN and MANUFACTURING of the 360. Sure, Microsoft designed the specs as in CPU/GPU speed and such, but Flextronics is as culpable in the hardware failure as Microsoft if not more so. Also, about the time the 360 was on the drawing board and beginning mass production, manufacturers, including Flextronics, were making the switch to lead free soldering. Quite a bit of early manufacturing suffered from failure due to the soldering issues associated with lead free. This may or may not have played a part in the failure but is certainly a possibility.

I would agree that the current fixes may not completely solve the problem but I do believe it will help quite a bit. Since the GPU seems to be the culprit, I hope the next iteration has a chip that runs a lot cooler. That alone will pretty much solve the issue...

We'll start to see results in next 3 months as people get their units back from repair. Let's hope that the news is stellar and doesn't put a damper on holiday sales...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
dallas said:
This article has had an engineer specializing in thermal design analyze the 360.... something tells me that even with the new heatsink, MS is still going to have a lot of problems with fixing the 360s.

Umm if you would have actually taken the time to read that article before posting you'd know that they were looking at an Xbox manufactured in 2005 and another one that was sent back from repairs *before* Microsoft started implementing their new cooling system.  Why that article is appearing now boggles the mind since they could have at least got a newer repaired one and compared it to the previous design which would have made a lot more sense.

joshmyersBV said:
The ?Red Ring? plagued some 360 owners in the past but with little to no reports of it happening in these few months it seems like its over........... or is this just the calm before the storm. With games like Mass Effect, Halo 3, Blue Dragon, and GTA IV it may be the biggest test this season for the 360 owners (like myself) and the consoles, but with the untested 360s still on store shelves it may become a problem for new consumers. So with all the new games and unrefurbished 360 consoles in stores, what are the chances the ?Red Ring? will become in issue this holiday season?

To answer my own question

For new consumers 70% to 80% chance
For current owners 0% to 10% chance

How did you answer your own question?  It just looks like you pulled numbers out of your ass.

Legend11 said:
dallas said:

Umm if you would have actually taken the time to read that article before posting you'd know that they were looking at an Xbox manufactured in 2005 and another one that was sent back from repairs *before* Microsoft started implementing their new cooling system.  Why that article is appearing now boggles the mind since they could have at least got a newer repaired one and compared it to the previous design which would have made a lot more sense.

They could have made some changes since 2005, I will admit, but this doesn't matter since even the newer 360s have had a lot of problems, and I think that while an additional heatsink will help somewhat, it won't be decisive in fixing these issues. I think that until the 65nm revision takes place...which sounds like it will be pushed back to the last months of this year or even early 08, it won't help MS for the holidays.

Legend11 said:
dallas said:

They could have made some changes since 2005, I will admit, but this doesn't matter since even the newer 360s have had a lot of problems, and I think that while an additional heatsink will help somewhat, it won't be decisive in fixing these issues. I think that until the 65nm revision takes place...which sounds like it will be pushed back to the last months of this year or even early 08, it won't help MS for the holidays.

Interesting question. With Halo and GTA coming out well in advance of the Christmas season, I suppose it's possible there will be some bad press. At the same time, I don't think the general public knows as much about this issue as we do.