By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Chances the ?Red Ring? becomes in issue this holiday season.

leo-j said:
Legend11 said:
leo-j said:
If you get a white 360 yep it will happen, even if you get the elite. The 65nm is going to have some of the same problems just prolongs the life.

How do you know that?

Im basicly saying it wont over heat as much if you play it the same amount of time you did with the regular 360, but double's the time you can use it before it over heats

It doesn't quite work that way.  They new gpu probably will never get to the temperature that is causing the problem, plus with updated cooling it's likely that Falcon will be much more reliable.

But I'm not an expert, so we'll have to wait and see.

Around the Network

what is this falcon??? the new edition with the heatsink or what?

I did

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
dallas said:
what is this falcon??? the new edition with the heatsink or what?

That's the code name for the 65nm model.

leo-j said:
If you get a white 360 yep it will happen, even if you get the elite. The 65nm is going to have some of the same problems just prolongs the life.

Well I bought a 360 Elite, and within the 3-hours I've played it Vertically it was extremely hot already. Since my in-box warranty says I'm only covered three months I'm going to by a Cooling stand from Intec tomorow and I'm going to watch how long I play my 360 keeping it under 3-hours to prevent over heating.So no my unit does work it hasn't gotten the red ring of death but it was searing hot almost enough to burn my hand and that was just three hours of gameplay.

My suggestion to Microsoft would be to scrap the fan, go internal refridgeration like Sony. Using cooling gels instead of the fan would not only cut down the noise level which is almost non-existant on my elite but it would also do alot to fix the Red Ring of Death.

I mean fans seem to be a thing of the past, units are just becoming to hot and the fans aren't enough to keep them cool. When making such expensive hardware building it to last is key and I think the new Elites should be retrofitted with Cooling gel systems instead of their current fans. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the fan and vents are the only cooling systems in the 360 right? Notice that 360 is the only console suffering over heating issues, Nintendo's Wii gets warm after about 2-days and I don't know about PS3 but I know all of my friends 360 have died at least once per person. Thats not the most encouraging thing for a possible consumer to see.

So come on Microsoft this issues been around since your first console (X-Box) it hasn't gone anywhere its time to address it and take it seariously.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Microsoft is loosin there momentum, 360 owners want FPS halo is all they talk about halo, Im afraid if that game doesnt deliver,ps3 sales will rocket for killzone2(the game that is called halo killer..). This can happen, another prediction but, if halo 3 doesnt deliver that awsome 10/10 gameplay and even still gets a high 8 or even a 9 360 fans will be scared for life. This is again a possibility whcih is unlikely, but then again microsoft is known to dissapoint people.

Not tryin to bring any negative news, but again its very low chance it wont be as good as halo 2.
I want to see what happens with alot of ps3 games and 360 games, to me it looks like the clash of killzone and halo can bring huge console sales, especially for the ps3. The game is unbelieveble... but we have to see what happens..heavenly sword right now looks to be the main driver for ps3 sales.

Uhhhh, if Halo3 doesn't deliver you will see public outrage but PS3 won't be the console people turn to. The Wii will likely be the console many gamers turn to. Honestly KillZone was never even close to a Halo killer infact it was barely a Metroid Killer and lets face it for a console with almost ten times the user base that is extremely sad.

PS3 games versus 360 games. Honestly 360 is already owning as far as that war is concerned, Sony's only chance is that small handfull of killer apps set to be released next spring. Of which GTA looks more like a Microsoft asset then a help to PS3.

The real software clash will be between Mario and Master Chief. Mario:Galaxy/MetroidPrime/SmashBros V.S Halo3 and games like Area52. Sony isn't even a real player anymore and even if their best contendors made it for this Christmas the hardware price (Even after the drop) combined with the dismal user base would still pose very little opposition to Nintendo or Microsoft's platforms!

Lets just face it Sony's over 5-million units behind the competition, not even the best Christmas on record could put PS3 in the dominant position. As far as I know the holidays have never sold 5-million units more of a single platform then its competition. Theirs no way even all of Sony's best titles launching all this fall could give it that kind of selling power against the likes of Smashbros and Halo! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Falcon is, let's say, the name of the project supposed to reduce the production cost of the Xbox360 + resolve failure problem.

I think Xbox360 can do something with this new "version" of their console because it may look as a new product for the consumers.

In another side, it depends of the numbers of Xbox360 "old version" on the shelves. I personnaly, I dont know how many Xbox360 old version are still waiting to be sold.

Time to Work !

libellule said:
Falcon is, let's say, the name of the project supposed to reduce the production cost of the Xbox360 + resolve failure problem.

I think Xbox360 can do something with this new "version" of their console because it may look as a new product for the consumers.

In another side, it depends of the numbers of Xbox360 "old version" on the shelves. I personnaly, I dont know how many Xbox360 old version are still waiting to be sold
  I doubt there are that many in the channel since Microsoft cut shipments waaaay back at the start of the year.  It didn't take a genius to figure out that Microsoft cut back shipments to clear channel inventory in anticipation of some "event".  The most likely event(s) that move would precede would be a price cut and/or a new model introduction (or both).  That is exactly what is happening.  Microsoft clearly didn't want to cut the price on existing models since they are already manufactured and the cost is already "sunk".  I think if you do a bit of research, Microsoft said they had "shipped" their 10 millionth console at the end of last year but they cut back shipments this year rather drastically.  If someone does the math, they can probably make a pretty good guess at what's in the channel and when the "old" units will more or less be cleared out.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Its an issue already. It certainly won't go away by the holiday season. So the answer is 100%.