By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third parties pull a fast one and blame Nintendo for their own crappy games

@Esa-Petteri: Well, considering that a number of party/minigame collections are pretty much failures on Wii, the devs aren't getting hint. If Game Party 2 ends up being one of the biggest selling 3rd party games, i'd bet that the developers have gotten it. If Conduit ends up being one of the best-selling titles, those developers understand the market too.
Looking at SMG, Wii Fit, MKWii, Twilight Princess, Wario Ware and Brawl, it looks like Nintendo understands the market.

Anyway you want to look at it, porting the Wii game to PS360 is the cheapest way to go still. Biggest possible audience, with smallest possible costs.

As for CoD:WaW; there's no reason to gimp the game down for Wii either, as you can see from the sales numbers. Fully featured games tend to sell better.

@bardicverse: You're right about that. The devs have been upgrading their Unreal 2 engines for Wii developement. But, atleast Quantum 3 engine should be (soon) available.

@Bod: Haha, you're right. It's always so funny when someone points that out. Mommy, why didn't i get candy, with the exception, that these are grown men talking.
The one who wants to do what he likes, can always put up his own company, but usually when you pay your own bills, the attitude tends to change.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Why does every one seem to think the differences in power between the last gen consoles is the same as this gen? The difference in power between the ps2/xbox/GC is much much smaller than the ps360 and wii. The wii doesn't even support HD whereas last gen, everything was SD.

The author makes very good points. I don't understand nintendo. They've made billions from their new approach but surely they anticipated that there'll be "side effects". Why are they complaining now? They're in the best financial situation than any other company in the business which is a corporation's ultimate goal.

The truth is the author is right about game devs. All the people I know who want to get into the industry are hardcore gamers who love their dooms and halos and want to make their own. I don't know anyone who only has a wii and sees game development as a career choice

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Wow. It seems that Journalist don't get it either.

And just when I was thinking in give videogame magazines another chance...

@Pristine: What makes you think developers should be able to port their games easilly back and forth between the three systems? As far as i can see, all of the three have made systems that serve their own interests best.
Besides, even in last gen, games ported from GC and XB to PS2, had to be pretty much redone. This gen, you're still be able to make somewhat cheap ports between the systems, if the game is made Wii as a leading platform and ported to PS360. What the devs complain, is their own bad developement models.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Pristine20 said:
Why does every one seem to think the differences in power between the last gen consoles is the same as this gen? The difference in power between the ps2/xbox/GC is much much smaller than the ps360 and wii. The wii doesn't even support HD whereas last gen, everything was SD.

The author makes very good points. I don't understand nintendo. They've made billions from their new approach but surely they anticipated that there'll be "side effects". Why are they complaining now? They're in the best financial situation than any other company in the business which is a corporation's ultimate goal.

The truth is the author is right about game devs. All the people I know who want to get into the industry are hardcore gamers who love their dooms and halos and want to make their own. I don't know anyone who only has a wii and sees game development as a career choice

No ones asking to be able to watch beads of sweat run down and between the follicles of the face on the playable character, who just so happens to be a bald space marine. I think most people will settle for some good games.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Pristine: What makes you think developers should be able to port their games easilly back and forth between the three systems? As far as i can see, all of the three have made systems that serve their own interests best.
Besides, even in last gen, games ported from GC and XB to PS2, had to be pretty much redone. This gen, you're still be able to make somewhat cheap ports between the systems, if the game is made Wii as a leading platform and ported to PS360. What the devs complain, is their own bad developement models.

I would disagree with this. Just as wii games are expected to utilize motion controls well to be viable, ps360 games are supposed to utilize the "power" of the console. If you check the sales charts, ps360 is still ahead of wii, that means the 360 gets to be lead platform. This is the case due to the difference in the "selling points" of the wii vs the HD consoles.

Last gen, there wasn't such a significant difference in "selling points" of the consoles.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

No ones asking to be able to watch beads of sweat run down and between the follicles of the face on the playable character, who just so happens to be a bald space marine. I think most people will settle for some good games.

I don't know why you wii owners always pick on Halo.

On topic, some people really want to see the beads of sweat run down lol. Won't you consider  cod:WaW a good game? Those are the kinds of games that release on ps360 but wii owners refuse to buy it. What do you guys want from 3rd party devs exactly?

Pristine20 said:

On topic, some people really want to see the beads of sweat run down lol. Won't you consider  cod:WaW a good game? Those are the kinds of games that release on ps360 but wii owners refuse to buy it. What do you guys want from 3rd party devs exactly?

I wouldn't know. I bought it for the 360, along with Halo 3. What I can pretty much say with a certainty however, is that it is a lesser version.

That doesn't stop me from, you know, wanting good third party games on the wii.

Pristine20 said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

Someone's obviously never played Halo...

Pristine20 said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Pristine20 said:

For the record, I bought CoD:WaW.  However, the fact of the matter is that WaW on the Wii is stripped down from the PS360 versions.  The maximum number of players in multiplayer was cut in half, vehicles were removed, multiplayer co-op was taken out, the Nazi Zombies are gone...  There are no good technical reasons for any of these omissions, and yet these features are missing.  The point is, it's not a fair comparison, because WaW is the kind of game that focuses on the online multiplayer experience, and the Wii version is, for no good reason, markedly inferior in that regard.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition