By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third parties pull a fast one and blame Nintendo for their own crappy games

I hate to be the one disagreeing with everyone, but I do think Nintendo shoulders some of the blame. If a developer spends time and resources on a title, they could produce a title of Res Evil 4 quality......but look at RE4. That game was in development forever, and pushed the Gamecube to the limit. Companies can work hard producing a game that would push the Wii (The Conduit, for example) and it would still not be up to HD standards. Trying to tap the Wii's unseen power to make a game that's great buy last gen's standards is a huge risk.

Like it or not, having hundreds of enemies onscreen in Kameo or Resistance 2, impressive character models like Uncharted or Metal Gear 4, having bosses the size of houses in Bulletwitch or Gears of War 2, having amazing atmosphere in Dead Space or Condemned 2, highly destructable environments in Mercenaries 2, or huge sprawling environments in Halo 3 or Fable 2 make the games better. Our standards have risen. When I drove a used Buick Sentry, it was great at the time. I drive a better car now. 6th gen quality games were great during the 6th gen. Better experiences are expected now. It's depressing that, not even Nintendo's own titles are much better than Zelda TP -a game that was fully realized on 2001's Gamecube.

I love Nintendo's games, but imagine a Zelda game with Fable 2's size and scope. Imagine a Metroid with Gears 2's graphics. Imagine Mario Kart with "Xbox Live" like online. Imagine Mario Galaxy.....well, that game was perfect.

If I were a designer, and I were going to spend years on a game, personally, I'd do it on a console that could fulfill my vision. The Wii is fun, and I do love Nintendo, but the Wii just isn't that system.

Around the Network

If the article writer thinks that technology is the crux o the quality difference between the Wii and the PS360, then they don't get it either.

Sheesh.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Esa-Petteri said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Wow, this jackass doesn't get it either. I don't want games ported up from the PS2, but at the same time (what this guy doesn't get), I don't want games ported down from the PS360. I want original games tailored to the Wii's advantages and disadvantages. When that happens, those games do really well.

Hasn't that happened already? Mario&sonic,carnival games,game party,RRR? I haven't played all of those games, but I think they do use wiimotes advantages. Not to mention that they have been great successes so they must have been "tailored" to wii.

Yes it has happened already (I didn't claim it hadn't), and many of those games have sold well.

Just like No More Heroes sold well.  And many other 3rd party games.  Those are the 3rd parties that get it.  They make new unique games tailored to the Wii.  When companies give the Wii sloppy ports, they don't sell well.  Those companies should shut up and learn how to make good games.  It is my hope that they actually don't shut up and learn how to make good games, and they simply go out of business and leave us all alone.  The industry will be better, and leave room for better companies with new and unique ideas.

Now which one of those games has an amazing storyline? The problem with all well selling wii games is that the narratives suck and the platform just doesn't seem to support third party's that might want to create a game backed purely by an enticing narrative disregarding the wii's gameplay strength or weaknessess. Unless story heavy games can survive on the wii it will never be taken seriously.

DTG said:

Now which one of those games has an amazing storyline? The problem with all well selling wii games is that the narratives suck and the platform just doesn't seem to support third party's that might want to create a game backed purely by an enticing narrative disregarding the wii's gameplay strength or weaknessess. Unless story heavy games can survive on the wii it will never be taken seriously.

Nobody wants to talk to a liar.

Picko said:
megaman79 said:
I have only thing to say and its not pretty STFU YOU IGNORANT FUKN JOURNALIST. WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? YOUR NOT A PROGRAMMER OR AN EXPERT IN ENGINEERING SOFTWARE AROUND THE SPECIFICATIONS OF THE WII.

YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT DO NOT HAVE AN HD TV OR WANT ONE SPECIFICALLY FOR THE ONE AND ONLY REASON OF PLAYING A PS360 SHOOTER.

YOU ARE NOT RELEVANT AND YOUR PROGRAMMING BUDDIES, WHO PREFER HD PROGRAMMING PURELY FOR SELF_MASTURBATORY PURPOSES, ARE THE ACTUAL PROBLEM WITH THE INDUSTRY.

WAKE THE FUCK UP AND REALISE PEOPLE BOUGHT CONSOLES WHEN THEY WERE LESS POWERFULL THAN COMPUTERS. NOW YOUR GONNA HAVE TO SUCK THE BIG ONE AND DESGIN GAMES FOR A LESS POWERFUL CONSOLE.

(catches breath)

Someone should fire his ass. He's the reason Wii games get lower averages

Impressive, the quality of posts on this site just hit a brand new low. Congratulations.

I second this... I just hope we don't become another Gamespot with that...

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
DTG said:

I recieve many PM"s a day so I'd beg to disagree. Stop spamming and the personal attacks or you will be reported.

DTG said:
Khuutra said:
DTG said:

I recieve many PM"s a day so I'd beg to disagree. Stop spamming and the personal attacks or you will be reported.

Ha! Fair enough.

Fine, then. Do you want narrative or do you want plot in your games? They are very different.

technically narrative is gameplay under the "film" definition, that is most important

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
technically narrative is gameplay under the "film" definition, that is most important

You are giving away the answer here

If developers "Refuse" to make games for platforms which are not among the most powerful systems on the market how does the Nintendo DS, PSP and PS2 continue to get so much support?

Certainly, there are some developers who have found their place in the market by pushing the limits of the newest and most powerful hardware and they will ignore the Wii because it doesn't fit into their market strategy. The thing people don't seem to realize is that these developers are a tiny minority which do not represent the industry on the whole. We end up hearing a lot from these developers/designers because a lot of them are in the elite-handful of developers who consistently sell more than 2.5 Million copies of games.

Most developers require funding from publishers in order to pay for the development costs of their games, and this generally means that they have to pitch a game idea to the publishers that the publishers are interested in. Now, many/most of these developers can (realistically) only receive so much funding from publishers because their games would not be expected to sell that well; a game that sells 500,000 to 1,000,000 copies for these developers would be considered a smashing success for the most part. If you're able to get $5,000,000 from a publisher you have the funding to make a great "de Blob" or "Boom Blox" for the Wii, a pretty mediocre "Halo" or "Doom" game for the Wii, or a pretty shitty "Dora the Explorer" game for the XBox 360 or PS3. Now, there will be developers who take each choice, but do you think that the developers who dreamed of producing a "Halo" or "Doom" will choose to make licenced-shovelware for the HD consoles simply because the system is more powerful?