By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu Survey 2008 - Survey says ps3 will own this holiday (consumer)

We are talking about Japan right? Well, you can clearly see I was talking about Japan only. Moving on.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Kantor said:
trestres said:
Jo21 said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
Acevil said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
whatever, it's for sure that Ps3 will do well but i don't see the Ps3 outselling the Wii or even be close

My question is why do people think it will outsell DS, PSP and Wii? I mean looking at trends wouldn't one easily notice that the ps3 is currently behind the 3.

Cause... people are funny?

Much like an election that is full of several different parties, I suspect that the reason the PS3 has performed so well is because of vote splitting ...

Most people who are decent at predicting sales for Japan would have the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii as being the best selling systems (together they hit 74.1%), and the PS3 and XBox 360 seeing lower sales. Some people always have biases and will vote for their "Favourite" system and I suspect that even in Japan there are enough PS3 fans to skew the results.

Still PS3 isn't trending any different then the Gamecube in Japan.  You'd be surprised it'd be that many people.

the gamecube didn't have 2 FF in their system 13 and versus, neither gran turismo 5,  only dragon quest 9 and maybe Mh3 have a chance of outsell those 3.

Well none of them will beat Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, MKWii and probably SSBB in sales. Don't forget Wii Sports: Resort is also coming out, which is the sequel to the best selling console game this gen.

DQIX isn't even on the Wii, so it doesn't make sense to include it. If you want to include the DS, then your argument falls apart even faster, as there's many games that will obviously beat those you listed. Also after those games you named come out, what's the next big thing for the PS3? I mean HUGE, not just big. Like FF big.

Wii Sports was bundled with every Wii outside Japan. Of course it sold well.

If Wii Sports Resort isn't bundled with consoles, it won't sell as well.

It's not bundled inJapan, where it still sells gangbusters.

Wii Sports is basically the reason WHY Wiis sell so well.  Of course it would sell well if it weren't bundled.

I suppose if WKC is massive, then the PS3 can outsell the Wii, but to get up to 200k a week in Japan and beat the DS and PSP? No.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
trestres said:
Jo21 said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
Acevil said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
whatever, it's for sure that Ps3 will do well but i don't see the Ps3 outselling the Wii or even be close

My question is why do people think it will outsell DS, PSP and Wii? I mean looking at trends wouldn't one easily notice that the ps3 is currently behind the 3.

Cause... people are funny?

Much like an election that is full of several different parties, I suspect that the reason the PS3 has performed so well is because of vote splitting ...

Most people who are decent at predicting sales for Japan would have the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii as being the best selling systems (together they hit 74.1%), and the PS3 and XBox 360 seeing lower sales. Some people always have biases and will vote for their "Favourite" system and I suspect that even in Japan there are enough PS3 fans to skew the results.

Still PS3 isn't trending any different then the Gamecube in Japan.  You'd be surprised it'd be that many people.

the gamecube didn't have 2 FF in their system 13 and versus, neither gran turismo 5,  only dragon quest 9 and maybe Mh3 have a chance of outsell those 3.

Well none of them will beat Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, MKWii and probably SSBB in sales. Don't forget Wii Sports: Resort is also coming out, which is the sequel to the best selling console game this gen.

DQIX isn't even on the Wii, so it doesn't make sense to include it. If you want to include the DS, then your argument falls apart even faster, as there's many games that will obviously beat those you listed. Also after those games you named come out, what's the next big thing for the PS3? I mean HUGE, not just big. Like FF big.

Wii Sports was bundled with every Wii outside Japan. Of course it sold well.

If Wii Sports Resort isn't bundled with consoles, it won't sell as well.

Well, if Wii Sports can attain a roughly 40% attach rate in Japan, I think it would sell VERY similarily in the US and EU.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

leo-j said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Not even with an exclusive JRPG coming from the biggest selling developer in japan LEVEL 5?

When did Game Freak change their name to Level 5?

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:
leo-j said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Not even with an exclusive JRPG coming from the biggest selling developer in japan LEVEL 5?

Owned.

I can't believe I didn't see that comment earlier, lol.

Rhonin the wizard said:
leo-j said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I think he meant more a developer that also publishes their own games, which L5 does do (for some games) in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It looks like the anticipation for White Knight is not really big in Japan. Still #12 in the poll, 1 month before the release. And although Famitsu's poll doesnt always represent how games will sell, I think it's safe to use it as an indicator in this case since it's a hardcore HD jRPG we are talking about.

And looks like Dissidia is gonna be big, so just like retailers I am expecting PSP to sell the best this holiday season.

trestres said:

We are talking about Japan right? Well, you can clearly see I was talking about Japan only. Moving on.

Wasn't you saying Wii was doomed because it was slowing down in Japan? Yes was you haha. Another fail.

Rei said:

It looks like the anticipation for White Knight is not really big in Japan. Still #12 in the poll, 1 month before the release. And although Famitsu's poll doesnt always represent how games will sell, I think it's safe to use it as an indicator in this case since it's a hardcore HD jRPG we are talking about.

And looks like Dissidia is gonna be big, so just like retailers I am expecting PSP to sell the best this holiday season.

Um...what were you looking at?

What will you get?

Nintendo DSi

Animal Forest: Dobutsu no mori (Wii, Nintendo)

White Knight Chronicles (PS3, Sony)

Wii

Chrono Trigger (NDS, Square Enix)

New Xbox Experience

Ad-Hoc Party for PSP

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP, Square Enix)

PSP-3000

PlayStation Home open beta (PS3, Sony)

Most wanted merchandise

PSP-3000

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP, Square Enix)

Animal Forest: Dobutsu no mori (Wii, Nintendo)

Nintendo DSi

Wii

White Knight Chronicles (PS3, Sony)

Xbox 360

The Last Remnant (360, Square Enix)

Xbox New Experience

PlayStation 3

That looks a fair bit better than 12th.