By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 have a successful year in 2009?

Snake612 said:
@NJ5, when you make that point, then i have to agree. What can they do to get better weekly sales?

Bundles sound like a good idea, good software is always, good marketing is also needed. But to be honest the competition is really hard so there's no simple answer. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, of course, I'm sure they can think of ways to improve sales no matter how slightly.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@jpespinal, Final fantasy Versus XII might not be released in 2009.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

NJ5 is right. Forget about a price for the next 11-12 months. Sony just cannot sacrifice the whole company for the success of one product.

And Snake612 - you are also right - without a price cut, the future Sony is bleak. Their momentum in the market will grind to a halt. They will become the official 3rd place finisher, their retail display sheves will be much smaller than the Wii and the 360, and the gaming community will consolidate around the other consoles. They will be in worst shape than the GC was - they don't even appeal to the kiddy audiance. The PS3 has no population segement that it really owns. All it has left is an eroding brand name.

All the new games will not help Sony with such a small installed base. They will not be able to recover their development costs with such a low attach rate for their first party games. They'll need to start closing down the studios to cut costs.

By the time they get to a feasible price cut, the battle had been decided. The Wii and 360 will have pulled away to far margin. 3rd parties will start omitting Sony from their platform support. They will be in a slow death sprial.

It is hard to see how 2009 is going to be a "successful year" for Sony.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

@amirnetz: I don't think 3rd parties will be ignoring Sony, their userbase is still big enough to make it worth it to port games.

Drop to $299, and then it will have a good year

mM
Around the Network
NJ5 said:

@amirnetz: I don't think 3rd parties will be ignoring Sony, their userbase is still big enough to make it worth it to port games.

It will not happen quickly. But it will happen gradually.  All the big releases will go multi-plats. But the smaller developers will look for cost cutting and cutting support for the PS3 will mean lower costs, easier development and a much faster release time.

Remember the original Xbox - 25M installed base and it was getting only a fraction of the titles.

With a limited PS3 install base and small attach rates, Microsoft can also buy fairly inexpensively time exlusivity for the 360 versions and accelerate the process even further.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

amirnetz said:
NJ5 said:

It will not happen quickly. But it will happen gradually.  All the big releases will go multi-plats. But the smaller developers will look for cost cutting and cutting support for the PS3 will mean lower costs, easier development and a much faster release time.

Remember the original Xbox - 25M installed base and it was getting only a fraction of the titles.

With a limited PS3 install base and small attach rates, Microsoft can also buy fairly inexpensively time exlusivity for the 360 versions and accelerate the process even further.

You have some valid points, but there are some important differences to the Xbox situation. Development budgets are higher now so they need all the potential userbase they can get, and this time the 360 didn't get a huge head start in installed base, so developers got used to targeting both.

That said, if/when third parties start to take the Wii seriously, PS3 and 360 could lose some more games.

taxman said:
@OP
I seriously doubt the new dashboard had anything to do with the high 360 sales.....

Maybe not so much hardware...but software is different story. My friend who has both x360 and ps3 (and favors ps3 slightly, bluray whore) says he's likely to buy most multiplier games on x360 because of the improved online features.

NJ5 said:

Sony has no other choice but to have a price cut for 2009.

They also have no other choice but not to cut prices in 2009, unless they want to go bankrupt. Well, never say never, if the dollar/euro/pound/etc recover and Sony can miraculously make profits even with the economic downturn they could do a price cut, but even then I don't think they'd cut prices by $100, more like $50. In any case, it's a long shot to count on price cuts next year (be glad if they don't have to increase their prices).

As for games, it does seem like they have some good games coming out, but probably nothing extraordinary compared to other platforms.

well its looking to have better games coming out than wii60.

ps3 will have a better year in 2009 than 2008,

sony will manage a price cut, when they do il be the 1st to pm u the news.

i think ur just exercising ur fanboyism a little because 360 is selling more during this season, when at other times u kept quite. if i can recall correctly ur that guy who banged on about ninja gaiden 2 looking better than ninja gaiden sigma? when that clearly wasnt the case.................i think u mabey still pissed of about that:)

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Yes it will. Just like it is this year.  Right now there are three consoles selling extremely well in a horrible economy.  The PS3 just happens to be trailing right now.  When the time comes and they are able to get the price down to $299 they will sell even more.  But I don't think you'll see that cut for a while still.  They have a lot of money to recoup on R&D for both Blu-Ray and the Cell.  The last thing Sony's share holders are going to want to see is them bleeding more money right now.