By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: Raise the prices of their products on the UK

@dolemit: And after they raise the prices? I think that if thise rise applies to the PS3 as well, then Sony's gaming division will be in real trouble there.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

I doubt they will rise the price to the consumers, probably retailers will paid more for Sony products ( lowering their margin ).
So Sony will probably sell less but they at least won't take a loss .

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

dolemit3 said:
So it looks like a price drop will be replaced by a price hike? The sales will probably surge nicely before the hike -- it's a very good move by Sony.

Thinking outside the box. hahah.

Look at how much the British pound dropped against the Yen, this is ridiculous:

source

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

If it IS the PS3 it doesn't matter if its the consumer or the retailer that has to pay more. Obviously if the customer has to pay more sales will drop, but if the retailor has to pay more ... well why would they? I can only imagin they would rather spend the money on more wii's and 360's where they can make a bigger profit themselves and have no worrys abou them selling.

Around the Network

Just brilliant! Great news all round, really

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I work in UK manufacture we are a dying breed. The week pound is good for us as we export 80% of our products. The US has been particularly difficult for us, but we are now beginning to see orders coming in on the back of the weak pound.

Unfortunately we do not make anything of interest for the gaming market :)

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Although this was muted recently as a possibility I do not think they will increase the price of the PS3. Lets face it the product has always been to expensive so to actually increase the price would be its death knell.

Has anyone actually increased the console price during the life cycle this could be a first :)

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Two points here:

1. Nobody said they are raising the price of the PS3. I would be shocked if this is one of the products to have its priced changed.
  2. That said, it is obvious that dropping prices is very far from Sony's business plan right now. The exchange rates are killing them so just maintaining the current prices is a struggle. The currency exchange situation is going to delay the return to profitability of Sony's gaming division and therefore the so anticipated PS3 price drop.

Unless there is a dramatic change in the Yen/Euro exchange rate, there is will be no PS3 price drop until the next holiday season.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

I would assume that they are going to put the prices of their games back up to £50, they have been creeping down again, after they started at £40, then went up, and I think they will continue to go up to full price again