By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Crazy theories of why the PSP isn't selling extraordinarily well.

I purchased the PSP at launch, and have about 5 games for it. I haven't turned it on in probably 10 months. The last game I bought was Crush. Cool game, but overall I just haven't been compelled to buy a game for the system or even turn it on. Then again, I have the DS and I don't even know where it is right now. I think the original poster made some good points though.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
Star Scream said:
SmokedHostage said:
bdbdbd said:
There are a number of reasons why PSP didn't succeed any better. It's impractical for being big and bulky, it takes too much time to load a game, the games library is too much of a home console library to begin with, DS library is so much better for basically anyone and the system is bought in many cases for other use than playing PSP games, which, along with relatively costly developement, turns off publishers.

@Smokedhostage: For 3rd parties game sales equal profit. No profit equal no games. No games equal no hardware sales.

With this said, I guess the PSP is just doomed. ;_;  Oh well. *Plays his DS*

Yeah, on its way to outsell SNES (and possibly NES) and yet 'doomed'. Your bias is showing, my friend.

I believe it is.. it's just what bdbdbd says makes me feel that there's no hope for it.

Besides, I do not think it is fair to compare earlier generations of console to current gaming system(s) now considering the market (economy, $ value, etc) is completely different... Number-wise, though... I guess you can say impressive (being on par w/ SNES)  But with standards nowadays, well... it's only decent.

PSwii60 said:
SmokedHostage said:
Star Scream said:
SmokedHostage said:
bdbdbd said:
There are a number of reasons why PSP didn't succeed any better. It's impractical for being big and bulky, it takes too much time to load a game, the games library is too much of a home console library to begin with, DS library is so much better for basically anyone and the system is bought in many cases for other use than playing PSP games, which, along with relatively costly developement, turns off publishers.

@Smokedhostage: For 3rd parties game sales equal profit. No profit equal no games. No games equal no hardware sales.

With this said, I guess the PSP is just doomed. ;_;  Oh well. *Plays his DS*

Yeah, on its way to outsell SNES (and possibly NES) and yet 'doomed'. Your bias is showing, my friend.

I believe it is.. it's just what bdbdbd says makes me feel that there's no hope for it.

Besides, I do not think it is fair to compare earlier generations of console to current gaming system(s) now considering the market (economy, $ value, etc) is completely different... Number-wise, though... I guess you can say impressive (being onpar w/ SNES)  But with standards nowadays, well... it's only decent.

First, it's not on par with SNES, it will outsell it comfortably. Second, if PSP HW numbers are merely 'decent', what do you make of XBOX360 or PS3 sales?

PSP is my ticket to nintendo's pocket..........

Just found a post by the topic starter, I thought it would be interesting since it concerns PSP, and that's what this topic is all about.

Here it is:

===========================================================

SMokedHostage posted 06/11/2008, 09:30
GBA > GB > DS > GG> N-Gage > Gizmondo > PSP

This is a fact.

===========================================================

Says it all, really.

Around the Network

You talk about the playstation name which should sell consoles. What about the fact its the first attempt at a handheld for Sony, and this is Nintendo's third crack at handheld (and the first 2 did awesome)??

Playstation is a huge name in home consoles. But Gameboy/Nintendo is the name in Handheld gaming. How about 40 million sales in what 4 or 5 years? Not bad at all.

@Smokedhostage: I was just pointing out what the thing FishyJoe said would mean in practice for hardware sales.
Anyway, without new games, it's expected that PSP sales go down, unless Sony changes their approach and feature it only as a multimedia device, kinda like the iPod video.
Anyway, it is doing badly, despite being the most successful non-Nintendo handheld, but what really indicates how healthy the platform is, are the software sales.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

coolestguyever said:
You talk about the playstation name which should sell consoles. What about the fact its the first attempt at a handheld for Sony, and this is Nintendo's third crack at handheld (and the first 2 did awesome)??

Playstation is a huge name in home consoles. But Gameboy/Nintendo is the name in Handheld gaming. How about 40 million sales in what 4 or 5 years? Not bad at all.

Indeed, 40 million before the start of the Holiday season (B Friday) is amazing. But one look at that quote I posted, and it's rather obvious there's a hidden agenda behind this article.

Maybe I made this thread to highlight the PSP's flaws.. hmm.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Yes, 2 and 3 are the main reasons.