By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Third parties don't "get" the Wii, more

z101 said:

"One of the highest selling franchises which has been made with a pretty good effort on the Wii bombs. What does that do?"

Come back in a few month and cod:waw wii will have nearly the same amount sold as xbox360.

Did you mean that in about a year wii will have nearly the same amount sold as 360.. first week? That sounds possible. If you count wii WW sales and only others sales for 360 version.

Around the Network
Ail said:

There is a lot of wishfull thinking in this thread.

What most people don't get ( or don't want to get as they idealize gaming development) is that as the gaming industry has become bigger it's becoming like every other market in this capitalistic society ( wether you like it or not, that's the way it works).

The market is becoming divided between a few big players and one of their key focus is flexing their money muscles by making sure that a tonn of newcomers can't join the party and start competing with them.

That means making game development somewhat expensive.

This is a model they have been unable to apply to the Wii so far as expensive usually ends up being translated as better graphics, bigger world size, more cpu intensive, which is the area where the Wii compares badly to the HD consoles...

All these companies interest ( EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square, Capcom) is that there are only a few of them on the markets so that they each can release a few blockbusters without too much competition...

The more successfull they are following this model, the less likely they are to experiment with the Wii too (the 2 most successfull this gen being Activision and Ubisoft so far in term of profit).

Seriously if I was a big developer I woundn't even port to the Wii my big franchises that are graphics intensive as we are at the point where the gamers that like those franchises have bought a HD console or are considering doing it anyway, independantly of wether they own a Wii too or not..

Actually thats the problem, Nintendo already knew this before, but 3rd parties didnt heer the warnings. Gamers dont care about a game being graphically extensive anymore, it already shows on sales and being mature games  only caters to one group of audience. Making it online makes it worse because gamers only play that game not want to play anything else till some new game came along. I've read a post that someone plays 4-6 hours a day, some are to extent till 8 hours. And thats the Wii version of COD: WAW what more with the PS360 version? The large install base proves that MS and SONY is in rickety slopes right now, its not that the games in PS360 versions sells on broad audience why it became always a million seller, it sells because it sells only in one group of people, same audience. What will happen if that group of people dont add up?

MS and SONY wants to fix this problem like Lips, Seen you at the Movies and LBP but it didnt do anything. Most of the gamers that plays the Ps360 are always play the same genres(shooters, RPGs,FPS, action games) the games are becoming fewer and fewer and the variety was shrinking. Most third parties are doing iterrations after itterations. And guess what? Ninty dont care about that, Wii can sell for itself and not because of the so called AAA games made by third parties, its not Nintendo needs third parties, third parties needs Nintendo and it seem they missed the boat. YEAH, even for a port COD: WAW was good even for the Wii, but sadly its not that kind of games that Wii is focused anymore. Not that Wii dont need core games, its that Wii dont need plenty of shooters and mature games. If Activision could create a game that can cater to hardcore and the casual and not the usual wii sports rip off crap. But seem Activision cant do that.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Squilliam said:
Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:

This is a real chicken/egg thing going on here. If COD WAW doesn't sell well, the chances that COD 5/6 (depending on who you ask) will be on the Wii will be slim - none.

See publishers are actually very conservative. They spend as little as they possibly on games unless the franchise is so strong they can justify the expenditure. Things like this have a flow on effect. Will games like Conduit see much marketing if COD WAW doesn't sell well? Will publishers even spend money trying to make innovative games when they know they hardly sell anyway and they can get better returns on releasing Nintendo knock-offs?

The actual talent in the industry is actually very limited. The issue isn't about where the publishers invest the bulk of their money/manpower its about where they can best invest the real talent they have. These are the people who make the real money in the industry and the people around them are just there to help make it happen.

I can't agree with this assertion only because the lack of third-party sales on the Wii comes from the fact that developers are ham-fisting it on one hand and half-assing it on the other. Yes, it requires a risk, but testing the waters with half-baked software is going to get you the results you are asking for.

Equating any Call of Duty with innovative games is a travesty. Innovative games on the Wii, the super-niche titles that actually try new things, sell much better than their equivalents on other systems. De Blob, Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes, what have you - these games don't even exist on the 360 and PS3, and they sell better than equivalent games did on the PS2. Hell, NMH curb-stomped every single Clover Studios game except for Viewtiful Joe.

This is not a chicken/egg problem, because it is all too obvious where the problem originates: "safe", half-hearted games do not sell.

So... One of the highest selling franchises which has been made with a pretty good effort on the Wii bombs. What does that do? It means that shooters are going to be fewer and further between on the Wii. The Wii proved it can sell music games, and it gets Guitar Hero like everyone else. If the Wii proves is struggles to sell core games then I guess its more cooking mama and petz in the future since they have proved themselves to be profitable ventures.

You know the one thing which breaks the rule on metacritic for higher rated games vs sales are the innovative games. They are rated highly but they never sell as well as titles which aren't innovative, but have a similar or lower rating. Also I never said that COD was innovative, I just said that innovation hardly ever pays off.

And no, COD WAW Wii was not half hearted.

I reject your reasoning again, sir. I apologize. I may be doing that a lot?

Call of Duty is a tired series with a tired image, especially the World War II iterations. Youor idea of a proper core title is a multiplat for the most tired subgenre in the most tired genre in gaming today, when it has no splitscreen multiplayer for the one console where local multiplayer actually matters more than online? Really? You don't see the problem there?

Again: this is hamfisting it. Also: it is half-assing it. World at War is not a top-of-the-line product. It has nice production values, sure, but it is stale, it is a "seen it before" sort of thing, it is wose than the other versions of the game, the multiplayer is neutered, and I could have told you when it was announced that this was a bad idea.

You want a core game on the Wii that's substantially enhanced by the experience? Look at Resident Evil 4. Something like 1.5 million copies sold on a two-year-old port because it's the definitive version of the game substantially improved by being on the Wii.

Equating a rejection of World War II FPSes which are worse than what can be obtained on othr systems cannot be equated with a rejection of core games. To pretend so is lunacy, sir.

Since this is getting out of hand, Im posting my final remarks on this:

1) Dont believe Reggie, he is just a good speaker and a good businessman, he is the same Reggie that promotes Ubisoft games like Rayman raving rabbids and says Animal Crossing is a core game.

2) Our assumptions and fears about Wii and its games will end in 2009, third parties dont realized this but HD console audience are becoming smaller and Wii userbase is becoming bigger. It will happen in 2009 the October conference proves that there are more surprise awaits for us.

3) This is only 2 years of the system lifecycle, the games will improved overtime. We cant see it now because we're only seeing the negatives. Sooner or later even the casuals will be sick of same Wii Sports rip off.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Ail said:
z101 said:
"One of the highest selling franchises which has been made with a pretty good effort on the Wii bombs. What does that do?"

Come back in a few month and cow wii will have nearly the same amount sold as xbox360.

That is wishfull thinking

Wii would need 6 months of sales equal to week 1 sales to sell as much as the Xbox360 did in Week 1 for Cod:WaW.

That is provided it can keep selling the same amount every weeks as it did in Week 1 ( which even the Wii games with best legs have never done) and that would require the Xbox360 version to stop selling any unit at all starting today...

No, it's you ignoring how Wii games have better legs than other games. And they didn't put at lot of copies of the Wii version in circulation, which creates artificial low sales.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
yushire said:
1) Dont believe Reggie, he is just a good speaker and a good businessman, he is the same Reggie that promotes Ubisoft games like Rayman raving rabbids and says Animal Crossing is a core game.

Not following your logic here. Don't believe Reggie when he says that third parties aren't putting their best on the Wii yet, but that games will be coming down the line? How is that not something to believe?

On the other hand: Rayman Raving Rabbids is awesome and Animal Crossing is definitely a core game, one of the biggest timesinks in the history of consoles.

Khuutra said:
yushire said:

Not following your logic here. Don't believe Reggie when he says that third parties aren't putting their best on the Wii yet, but that games will be coming down the line? How is that not something to believe?

On the other hand: Rayman Raving Rabbids is awesome and Animal Crossing is definitely a core game, one of the biggest timesinks in the history of consoles.

Compared to Gears of War 2 and the likes? YEP its not a core game. You can see the meltdown E3 had done on this board you should check it. And dont forget what Cammie says after E3, "just keep playing SSBB and Mario Kart" and with that Im off.

I dont want to entertain any comments anymore, I can feel the flame here this will not turned out good.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:
Khuutra said:
yushire said:

Compared to Gears of War 2 and the likes? YEP its not a core game. You can see the meltdown E3 had done on this board you should check it. And dont forget what Cammie says after E3, "just keep playing SSBB and Mario Kart" and with that Im off.

I dont want to entertain any comments anymore, I can feel the flame here this will not turned out good.

....You realize, of course, there is not one single metric for "core" games, right? I' consider Animal Crossing more core than Gears of War if only because Gears appeals to the super-casual Drunken Frat Dumb-Ass demographic that makes Halo so huge. They're super casual, you know.

c0rd said:

@ameratsu: Generally when talking about exclusives, we don't include PC. Otherwise, the 360 exclusive library looks... awfully small.

for most games with higher requirements i could see where you're coming from, but wworld of goo it will run on most any pc made in the last 5 years. As such, it would be kind of silly to consider it an exclusive to a certain console when a much larger group of people have a PC capable of running it.

Damn, wtf happened to this thread? Yikes.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

@yushire: Animal Crossing is a core game. I think it's now you who don't understand what core means.

@Ail: You're right about what the big publishers would like to do, but you're wrong about how they get there.
Wii, as the most popular platform, is important for the publishers in order to maintain the reputation of their big IP:s. If they keep on putting out half-assed ports of their HD games, the Wii owners see the IP:s as bad (think what happened to Sonic). Then, this is what gives a lot of room for the smaller publishers and their Wii specific games, that aren't half-assed.
If for example Conduit is successful and has quality, it may be the biggest shooter IP next gen.

@Esa-Petteri: Name fits btw.

Nintendo is remaking some GC titles, but the thing that is different, is that GC never sold in big numbers, so the remakes are more or less new games for most of the Wii owners, despite selling well on GC. And this is the difference; 3rd parties that put their cheap PS2 ports on Wii, are either putting out games that were on PS2 at the time and everyone who wants one, already has it or a straightforward port, that isn't using Wiis abilities at all (outside maybe adding "some" motion control for a gimmick, to get good ol' waggle out of it). So basically their idea would be to sell the game for the former GC owners, that own Wiis.

Since none of the remakes are out, it's hard to judge how they will be made.
In any case, it's a good way to offset the supposed lack of 3rd party core games on Wii.

And lastly, i didn't get the idea of your list for two reasons:
1. What difference does it make who the publisher is? "3rd parties" isn't an instance, but a number of them. We have atleast Nintendo, Sega, Ubisoft, Take Two and Capcom and EA having successful games on Wii, which apparently should mean, that publishers outside the ones mentioned, can't succeed.
Besides, you yourself made the whole "3rd party" -argument irrelevant by mentioning the genre and using SMG as an example for a genre that can sell.

2. Apparently your list was about games that already have a name and there have been put some effort to them. Which basically is the same thing with best selling PS360 games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.