By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last Remnant getting Japanese voiceovers???

Japanese Voiceovers Included In PS3 Version Of Last Remnant?

Square-Enix has been in the news a lot lately, what with their claims of platform neutrality and the opening of a new studio in the U.S. Now, we may have a good piece of news for PlayStation 3 owners regarding The Last Remnant.

The Xbox 360 version of the game releases this week while both the PS3 and PC versions don't yet have solidified launch dates. However, according to a recent Videogamer.com interview with dialogue editor Yuji Isogawa, there may be a reason to wait for the PS3 version...if you're a purist or hardcore role-playing fan. When asked if the original Japanese voice overs - not included in the 360 version - might be featured in the PS3 version, Isogawa simply said, "we'll see." Not surprisingly, it's a matter of space, as the 8.5GB dual layer DVD for the 360 version just doesn't have enough room for the option. But the 50GB Blu-Ray disc obviously does, right? Said Isogawa:

"Because this is the 360 version and it's just a DVD we didn't end up with enough room on the DVD to have two languages worth of voice. There's a lot of voice in this game. It would be cool if we can do that for a Blu-ray release. We'll see!"

If you deem this a trivial and irrelevant feature, you need to speak to some die-hard RPG fans. Many will tell you they look for the option of switching between Japanese and English voices, and in the past, the Japanese dialogue has been much better. Hence, this could be a good reason to wait for The Last Remnant if you're a fan of the genre, and remember, that extra Blu-Ray space means Square-Enix might be able to include more than just the original Japanese voices...

11/18/2008 Ben Dutka

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4134.html

Personal note: Kinda feels like old times I hope...

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

I hope they do integrate japanese voice over in the PS3 version, because in my opinion in most cases the english voice over for japanese games isn't up to the standard of the original one.

I'm having some doubts about the quality of the game, but if it turns out to be good it would be quite delightful to be able to enjoy it in japanese with english subs.

"we'll see" doesn't exactly convince me that it'll be there.

Somehow I can see "meh, lazy" coming in as an excuse.

The necessity for Japanese voiceovers is dependent almost entirely on the English cast. I've never heard the Japanese voices for FFXII, but I don't have to because the English cast was awesome.

So Last Remnant is supposed to be pretty bad-ass, eh?

Oh god please yes!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
The necessity for Japanese voiceovers is dependent almost entirely on the English cast. I've never heard the Japanese voices for FFXII, but I don't have to because the English cast was awesome.

So Last Remnant is supposed to be pretty bad-ass, eh?

It only got a 7 out of 10 from the official xbox magazine.  So we'll see how bad ass I guess.

japanese voices are ALWAYS better thats a known fact.

Always good to have a choice. Sometimes it makes a second playthrough of a great title more fresh (Valkyria), but sometimes it's pointless and just switches around which characters are annoying and which aren't (Eternal Sonata)

I don't speak Japanese, so I really don't care for Japanese voice overs personally. Whats the point of voice being included if I'm gonna have to read the subtitles anyway.

Jo21 said:
japanese voices are ALWAYS better thats a known fact.

That only applies to Japanese devloped games(with some exceptions).  With Western developed games, it is usually the reverse(like Ratchet & Clank).