By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Square Enix Building U.S. Studio - Looking for 360 Developers

Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@gebx

PS3 missing out on "action oriented games from S-E whoch will be a new IP"

S-E's new IP's aren't that great anyway (only what TWEWY was decent recently)....n action oriented....they should stick to JRPG's imho.

so PS3 really isn't missing out on much as S-E has never proven they can make a decent "proper" action oriented new IP (unless you count KH....but thats a RPG at its roots)

So...which of SE's new IPs aren't "that great"? Pretty much most of them are on the DS and they're all cool. Many of them haven't hit the West though :3 Though we know Sigma Harmonics (just so you know...Kitase worked on Sigma Harmonics) is hitting I think. It was in Nintendo Power.

Well lets see please name me some S-E New IP's which are actually successful??

I can't name any this gen....last gen KH....nothing else.

TLR from the early previews looks to be another hiccup. To be very frank.....like Rockstar ....S-E's speciality is in its BIG franchises not in the new IP's as they don't share the luxury of having the same production values n so on.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Riachu said:
The Anarchyz said:
xlost7 said:
Not only is Square Enix bringing a wealth of software to the Xbox 360. But it is finally understanding the market. They will not get any profit if they stay exclusive to a platform that is underperforming against a platform that is surperior in the states, and thats the Xbox 360.

The Wii, well I don't know maybe they know some of their software might not do well considering what the Wii is targeting.

Then you can explain to me why Star Ocean 4, a game of a franchise that sells the most in Japan, is exclusive to 360... If they want to take advantage of the states, get the most out of Europe and not lose Japan, the title should be multiplatform...

Star Ocean 3 was arguably more successful in the West than it was in Japan.  Many of the game press consider the Western sales of SO3 to be quite good.  Star Ocean The Last Hope will also sell some 360s in Japan, especially if it gets a bundle like ToV and TLR.  There is also several hints that indicate that SO has peaked in popularity in Japan during the PS1 era when SO2 came out and has been in a steady decline in Japanese popularity ever since wherea it seems to have been vice versa in the West where SO3 has been considered the first SO title to reach global popularity.

Star Ocean 2 sold 720k LTD with 374k in its first week, Star Ocean 3 sold 550k with 396k in its first week (and that was because some problems due to not playing in older PS2's, the directors cut that we received didn't have that problem, that's why it was a little more successful in the West), do you really think that Star Ocean 4 will pull those numbers in Japan??? my bet is 250,000 tops, and i'm willing to bet that SO4 will not pull a 750k on the US or EU... The best real bet for that game was going multiplatform...

darthdevidem01 said:
Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@gebx

PS3 missing out on "action oriented games from S-E whoch will be a new IP"

S-E's new IP's aren't that great anyway (only what TWEWY was decent recently)....n action oriented....they should stick to JRPG's imho.

so PS3 really isn't missing out on much as S-E has never proven they can make a decent "proper" action oriented new IP (unless you count KH....but thats a RPG at its roots)

So...which of SE's new IPs aren't "that great"? Pretty much most of them are on the DS and they're all cool. Many of them haven't hit the West though :3 Though we know Sigma Harmonics (just so you know...Kitase worked on Sigma Harmonics) is hitting I think. It was in Nintendo Power.

TLR from the early previews looks to be another hiccup. To be very frank.....like Rockstar ....S-E's speciality is in its BIG franchises not in the new IP's as they don't share the luxury of having the same production values n so on.

The real reason why TLR might not be as good as it could of been is because they used the bug ridden(and foriegn) UE3 engine when they shold have just used their own Crystal Tools engine.

Pristine20 said:

What I got from that news posting was this:

1. It's best to have your studios in EU & NA due to the current crisis. Then they will move all their main FF and KH teams in the U.S as well? The crisis is temporary and affects the whole world. Yen currency may as well fall back to its initial trade. Will they re-focus to Japan? This has more to do with creating a western developing studio than anything else, crisis or no crisis.

2. It's best to focus these games towards the west in general due to sales trends in gaming. Yep, you got that right. Japanese trends are so different than Western trends these days, both in hardware and software, that it´s nearly impossible to satisfy both hardcore masses.

3. The above 2 trends would favor the 360 getting any games that aren't multiplatform and possibly the wii due to the 360 2:1 gap over ps3 in NA.

4. New games from new studios doesn't equal good games because S-E is the publisher or even the developer as we've seen in current years. That´s true, but that´s not their primary concern right now . They need western-oriented games that are good enough and sell very well in the West, unlike some of their ps1 and many of their ps2 games that were great but didn´t sell in the West.

5. Also, S-E has not done well outside the JRPG market and JRPGs are best made in JP. KH, PE, Musashi, Ehrgeiz, Drakenguard are not RPGs that are good up to great games. Don´t tell me because KH and PE have some RPG mechanics that they are ones because they are far more action games and much/quite less JRPGs. 

Reading your posts, you do a good job making it seem like they're jumping ship with the ps3 because it suks or just hasn't sold enough that they just want to make 360 exclusives? that sentiment itself doesn't make sense because multiplat would be the right answer except they were paid the difference of course.

Only time would tell if this move is actually really beneficial or just introduces unforseen losses on the company because they won't have the luxury of the "buy first, ask questions later" approach that gamers use regarding S-E games in the JRPG genre.  I think it´s the right move because practically no one, except rabid fanboys, buy SE games without asking questions before with the exception of the main FF and  KH, as well as DQ in Japan. And people only buy main FFs because they are 100% sure SE put their biggest effort on the title. At least with a new IP targeted to Westerners they have more chances to sell better in the West than a new IP targeted to Japanese. And who´s knows best what Westerners want? Western developers; Japanese developers not so much, only a few. 

Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Successful=/=great. Doesn't have to sell well to be a good game.

Yes it does,

that's why Okami and Shadow of the Colossus suck and Carnival Games and Game Party are amazing

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:
Riachu said:
The Anarchyz said:
xlost7 said:
Not only is Square Enix bringing a wealth of software to the Xbox 360. But it is finally understanding the market. They will not get any profit if they stay exclusive to a platform that is underperforming against a platform that is surperior in the states, and thats the Xbox 360.

The Wii, well I don't know maybe they know some of their software might not do well considering what the Wii is targeting.

Then you can explain to me why Star Ocean 4, a game of a franchise that sells the most in Japan, is exclusive to 360... If they want to take advantage of the states, get the most out of Europe and not lose Japan, the title should be multiplatform...

Star Ocean 3 was arguably more successful in the West than it was in Japan. Many of the game press consider the Western sales of SO3 to be quite good. Star Ocean The Last Hope will also sell some 360s in Japan, especially if it gets a bundle like ToV and TLR. There is also several hints that indicate that SO has peaked in popularity in Japan during the PS1 era when SO2 came out and has been in a steady decline in Japanese popularity ever since wherea it seems to have been vice versa in the West where SO3 has been considered the first SO title to reach global popularity.

Star Ocean 2 sold 720k LTD with 374k in its first week, Star Ocean 3 sold 550k with 396k in its first week (and that was because some problems due to not playing in older PS2's, the directors cut that we received didn't have that problem, that's why it was a little more successful in the West), do you really think that Star Ocean 4 will pull those numbers in Japan??? my bet is 250,000 tops, and i'm willing to bet that SO4 will not pull a 750k on the US or EU... The best real bet for that game was going multiplatform...

Those SO2 sales are Japan alone.  SO4 could pull a 750K in the West like SO3 because popularity doesn't just fade away in 4 short years.  I think S-E is making sure SO4 does well in the West.

FF Versus XIII multiplat + Kingdom Hearts 3 360 exclusive CONFIRMED !!!!!!!!

Uhm what was this thread about ?

darthdevidem01 said:
oh and one more thing...it doesn't say anywhere its 360 & Wii exclusive.....as common sense tells us they probably already have loads of PS3 devs due to FF Versus 13 & FF 13

If it is 360 & Wii exclusive....then I'm afraid S-E are going to miss out on EU sales big time which will hurt them really bad.

See #2 in original post

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I think the problem is that no Westerner hardcore gamer gives a damn about JRPGs on handhelds and considering the JRPG fanbase in the West is not that big anymore, the best bet is consoles. All new IPs of SE this generation are on handhelds, so they didn´t have any chance to begin with and nor any big chance in Japan anyway since hardcore gaming there is suffering.

Last generation SE was in big trouble anyway, since it the merger took place so creating successful new IPs was out of the question. Nomura did his wonder of course, but it still was a safe bet with the collaboration of Disney and inclusion of FF characters.

Riachu said:
The Anarchyz said:
Riachu said:
The Anarchyz said:
xlost7 said:

Star Ocean 3 was arguably more successful in the West than it was in Japan. Many of the game press consider the Western sales of SO3 to be quite good. Star Ocean The Last Hope will also sell some 360s in Japan, especially if it gets a bundle like ToV and TLR. There is also several hints that indicate that SO has peaked in popularity in Japan during the PS1 era when SO2 came out and has been in a steady decline in Japanese popularity ever since wherea it seems to have been vice versa in the West where SO3 has been considered the first SO title to reach global popularity.

Those SO2 sales are Japan alone.  SO4 could pull a 750K in the West like SO3 because popularity doesn't just fade away in 4 short years.  I think S-E is making sure SO4 does well in the West.

Yes, those are from Japan alone...

In the US, Star Ocean 3 topped 630k, and it launched with 28 million PS2s in the US alone, Star Ocean 4 will launch on a smaller 360 userbase (and how much of that userbase is into JRPG's that are not the really big ones???), i stand by my bet that it will not make 750k in the US... And i'm not even talking about Europe...