By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in love? (a.k.a hear me ranting)

akuma587 said:
GooseGaws said:
akuma587 said:
People who think you can only truly love one person are just plain dreaming. That's just not how people actually are and how emotions are formed. You could psychologically convince yourself that you will always care about one specific person more than everyone else, but that is a voluntary choice.

And I also don't think it is possible to love absolutely no one for an entire life. Not unless you were isolated from people for your entire life or were simply locked in a closet and beaten by people your entire life. Love is almost second nature for people. Though this kind of depends on where you draw the line between attraction and love, but I really don't think it is possible for an ordinary person to go through their entire life without loving anyone. Our biological drives are just too strong.

Now if your biological drives were somehow defective in some way through a chemical imbalance or something, then I would say it could be possible.

In this statement, are you referring to what might be described as "romantic" love, or love as a general concept?

Romantic love.  I sincerely believe that people are that strongly drawn to the opposite sex, or members of the same sex if they are gay.  Our biological drives are really that strong.  You might not even be in a relationship your entire life and you could still fall in love with people.

I don't know.  I think that a person could be conditioned to inherently avoid feelings of love due to negative relevant stimuli, perhaps in the interest of perceived self-preservation.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
GooseGaws said:
akuma587 said:
GooseGaws said:

In this statement, are you referring to what might be described as "romantic" love, or love as a general concept?

Romantic love.  I sincerely believe that people are that strongly drawn to the opposite sex, or members of the same sex if they are gay.  Our biological drives are really that strong.  You might not even be in a relationship your entire life and you could still fall in love with people.

I don't know.  I think that a person could be conditioned to inherently avoid feelings of love due to negative relevant stimuli, perhaps in the interest of perceived self-preservation.

Fair enough, my point is just that a person's inclination to romantic love is essentially overpowering and pervasive enough that only under extreme circumstances would a person never develop romantic love for someone in their lifetime.  I listed a few exceptions myself, so I agree that what I said isn't true 100% of the time.  But I would say it is true at least 98% of the time assuming someone doesn't die prematurely or has some other kind of extreme mental handicap.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
GooseGaws said:

Fair enough, my point is just that a person's inclination to romantic love is essentially overpowering and pervasive enough that only under extreme circumstances would a person never develop romantic love for someone in their lifetime.  I listed a few exceptions myself, so I agree that what I said isn't true 100% of the time.  But I would say it is true at least 98% of the time assuming someone doesn't die prematurely or has some other kind of extreme mental handicap.

I do agree with that.  As you mentioned, it's unlikely to occur in all but the most extreme of cases.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Sounds like my ex, but we used to take turns breaking it off. If she demands more time or attention than you can give than it's only going to get worse. Sh!t my phone's ringing again from the new psycho.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

GooseGaws said:
akuma587 said:
GooseGaws said:
akuma587 said:
People who think you can only truly love one person are just plain dreaming. That's just not how people actually are and how emotions are formed. You could psychologically convince yourself that you will always care about one specific person more than everyone else, but that is a voluntary choice.

And I also don't think it is possible to love absolutely no one for an entire life. Not unless you were isolated from people for your entire life or were simply locked in a closet and beaten by people your entire life. Love is almost second nature for people. Though this kind of depends on where you draw the line between attraction and love, but I really don't think it is possible for an ordinary person to go through their entire life without loving anyone. Our biological drives are just too strong.

Now if your biological drives were somehow defective in some way through a chemical imbalance or something, then I would say it could be possible.

Well, i've tried that, and apart from the normal "that girl is really hot/cool" crush, that is something different than love, she is the only one.

I mean, after i met her, she got on a relationship with someone else, that was painful for me but then i got over it and kind of convinced myself that i had no chance and i should never love, i don't love anyone else for almost an year and when she gets out of that relationship, there i am, in love again :P

So, i guess that even if i get over her i'll have to deal with it again someday, life is damn good.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Around the Network

Love like all emotions is a simple chemical & psychological reaction. You must learn to control it. When you can control it you can then eliminate it. This applys to other emotions too. I have managed this. I am now able to turn off all emotions (love, pity, remorse, hate etc) at will and be completely unfeeling when I choose. Like a Dalek, you may say.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
d21lewis said:
It takes A LOT to get me to break up with a girl I love. A LOT. But, if a girl loves me and I don't really love her, I'd dump her for putting too much cheese on her sandwich. Really, any plausible excuse will suffice. Once, I told my girlfriend to go out with her ex boyfriend to make sure she was over him. She went to lunch with him and told me that she was positive that there was nothing left between them. When she did, I told her that I couldn't date her anymore because the thought of her and him together was killing me (really, I just wanted to break up without being a bad guy).

If this girl is always ready to break up, maybe she's not as much in love as you are.

You with your stories!!! the one wierder then the other...  So I'm gonna say this for once: "the memoirs of d21lewis" is a first day buy for me!!! Go!! Write it up!! Now!!! Please!!!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

i think love exists but i often get confused between love and lust

The Greeks had it right - agape, phileo and eros. All three are forms of love, but an intense infatuation is often mistaken as love. Here's the barometer - if you have little knowledge about a person - and have tingling sensations or butterflies in your stomach, more than likely, that's lust.

Love is very hard to define for a person that does not believe in a spiritual being. You can see love demonstrated, but even then - you have to ask yourself is this person doing this out of love or out of wanting to be recognized.

There are three things that last forever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love. I believe in love.