By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well will Gran Turismo 5 do?

10m lifetime, GT5 is gonna sell by the bucketload, it will probably boost PS3 sales as well

Around the Network
ThePerilous said:

I am well aware that this series is enormously prosperous, and I think that we all are. Furthermore, I believe that we're all aware that it will do very well in connection with sales and we have knowledge of its prosperity, even if it isn't released.

How many copies will Gran Turismo 5 sell, do you think? Will it be capable of selling more than two million copies in two days, for example?

To me this is the only game that can verifiy the "It will be huge" PS3 fanboy phenomenon (...).

2 millions of copies in two days ? Mmh hard to tell ... could be ... but I would say between 3 and 6 on it lifespan.

Don't forget that the exclusivity record own by the PS3 is MGS4 with only 3.46m

@Kantor

4)GTA 4 has the biggest sales figures on the PS3.

5) Don't agree, GTA4 is a multiplatform, not an exclusivity

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
ThePerilous said:

I am well aware that this series is enormously prosperous, and I think that we all are. Furthermore, I believe that we're all aware that it will do very well in connection with sales and we have knowledge of its prosperity, even if it isn't released.

How many copies will Gran Turismo 5 sell, do you think? Will it be capable of selling more than two million copies in two days, for example?

To me this is the only game that can verifiy the "It will be huge" PS3 fanboy phenomenon (...).

2 millions of copies in two days ? Mmh hard to tell ... could be ... but I would say between 3 and 6 on it lifespan.

@Kantor

I'd recommend reading some of the posts backed up with numbers before calling out the fanboys. It isn't just them that see this game becoming huge. This was my last post on it, if you're curious.

GT is Sony's biggest franchise, so putting it at between 3-6mil is being extremely pessimistic. That would be a huge flop. I can see where you're coming from since I originally thought the same, but the numbers are supporting the "fanboys" this time around. I won't say a flop is impossible, but as long as the game meets expectations (in quality) and is heavily advertised, there's no way it'll do under 6mil.

c0rd said:
Sardauk said:
ThePerilous said:

@Kantor

I'd recommend reading some of the posts backed up with numbers before calling out the fanboys. It isn't just them that see this game becoming huge. This was my last post on it, if you're curious.

GT is Sony's biggest franchise, so putting it at between 3-6mil is being extremely pessimistic. That would be a huge flop. I can see where you're coming from since I originally thought the same, but the numbers are supporting the "fanboys" this time around. I won't say a flop is impossible, but as long as the game meets expectations (in quality) and is heavily advertised, there's no way it'll do under 6mil.

they need a system exclusive 4+ million seller the 360 had 2 by this point in its life. these games help define a console fairly or not. 

on top of this id have to say when it comes out is key to how many it sells, if it comes out this summer meeting just 6 million is possible, but the latter it comes out the better its sales will be unless for some god damn reason it comes out the same time as ffviii which would be a very very bad move on sonys part.

if it takes it until 2010 to ocme out 10 million is possible unless it comes out in a cloud of other highly anticipated games.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Slimebeast said:
Kantor said:

1) Yes, GT3 sold much better, because it was a better game. GT5 will probably be best in series

2) GT5 won't sell consoles? I say the PS3 will beat Wii WW that week. If MGS4 can do it, why not the best selling exclusive on both the PS1 and PS2?

3) Did you just say MotorStorm was competition for Gran Turismo 5? LOL! Pretty good offroad racer versus the most realistic driving sim ever made, the best selling racing series ever made, the highest rated racing series of all time. Tough contest.

What, Gran Turismo uses damage models now?

Yes and it's been confirmed.

Also GT4:P didn't release on NA.

Around the Network
c0rd said:
Sardauk said:
ThePerilous said:

@Kantor

That is what I said on my post, it has the biggest chance (among others) of being a huge success.

I'm not pessimistic about GT5 but so far, nothing has proven very-successful on the exclusivity side so... .

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Racing games have been selling really low in America. I doubt GT5 will do like 3 millions some people say. It's more like MAX 1 million in NA for the first year, and then grow slowly when it becomes greatest hits.

goddog said:

they need a system exclusive 4+ million seller the 360 had 2 by this point in its life. these games help define a console fairly or not. 

on top of this id have to say when it comes out is key to how many it sells, if it comes out this summer meeting just 6 million is possible, but the latter it comes out the better its sales will be unless for some god damn reason it comes out the same time as ffviii which would be a very very bad move on sonys part.

if it takes it until 2010 to ocme out 10 million is possible unless it comes out in a cloud of other highly anticipated games.

I don't think other games can do much to screw with GT. It's the biggest HD exclusive remaining, what could possibly take away from it? It's like if Halo 3 were put in a storm of releases; it wouldn't take much away from it, since it's the big release.

@Sardauk: Okay, I just misunderstood your post then. I wasn't exactly clear where you stood anyway, I should've probably clarified. As for no good exclusives, well, it isn't a surprise. Most of the PS2's best selling exclusives are games that went (or are going) multiplatform this gen.

(edit) @reptile168: In America, Need for Speed: ProStreet for the 360 is at about 1mil after a year. With PS3 included it's at 1.5mil. GT5 selling only 1mil in a year is far too low.

c0rd said:
goddog said:

I don't think other games can do much to screw with GT. It's the biggest HD exclusive remaining, what could possibly take away from it? It's like if Halo 3 were put in a storm of releases; it wouldn't take much away from it, since it's the big release.

@Sardauk: Okay, I just misunderstood your post then. I wasn't exactly clear where you stood anyway, I should've probably clarified. As for no good exclusives, well, it isn't a surprise. Most of the PS2's best selling exclusives are games that went (or are going) multiplatform this gen.

I cant say for sure 2010 is a bit off, and a series could take off in that time, or an unexpected sequal could be out

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

no game on any system will sell systems like gran turismo 5.

i predict 10 million+ in sales and i predict gran turismo 5 will move millions of consoles.

if sony manages to get out a £239 ps3 bundled with a copy of gt5 xmas 2009, it will be the #1 console to own

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...