By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are female sports sexist?

Hmmmm... perhaps a bit.....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
CaptainPrefrences said:
How many women have dunked in pro basketball? 2 LOLOLLOLOL

Candace Parker and Lisa Leslie...they are the only two. 

CaptainPrefrences said:

Do you ever tolerate or accept others? EVER?!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Kasz216 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Why are we comparing Jewish and Black men? Both can vary so wildly. You may have an eastern European Jewish person with little to no talent at running, but you may also have a middle eastern Jewish person who is strong and capable of running quickly. With black men, you could have a tall, fast running sprinter from the Caribbean. You may also have a Pygmy. And why Jewish men, seriously? Last I checked, a religion does not equal a race. One of the most athletic people I knew from high school was Jewish. Perhaps you don't see too many Jewish athletes because they make up such a small portion of the population, both in America and worldwide?

Also, why should we integrate? Good lucking getting too many women to be professional athletes when they know they're going to have to compete against men. Some women spend their entire lives trying to be as good at a sport as a man (basketball, wrestling, weightlifting) and many of them have figures that look very little like the average woman's.

Oh, and while a couple of western and European countries may try to integrate leagues, many parts of the worlds would resist the idea. Many middle eastern countries certainly wouldn't like the idea, and many of China's medals in the '08 Olympics were from female sporting events (which would be hurt by male competition, don't you think?). And in all fairness, I could never imagine the world's strongest woman being as strong or stronger than the world's strongest man.

I'm against the idea because I believe that many parts of society are inherently sexist, and if you dwell on every last detail of it, you'll begin to find that it's fairly insignificant. Why aren't all bathrooms unisex? Why don't women have to sign up for the draft? Why are bathrooms for women cleaner? How come there are more male world leaders?

Having all male or all female teams leads to a greater sense of security among teammates and the level of players we see today. And here's the ultimate question: Would there still be separate locker rooms? I hope not. That's so sexist.

Usually a religion doesn't equal a race.  However with Judiasm it's a bit different... certain people of judiasm seem to be of a certain race.  The point is... there are more biological differences and variances when it comes to people then just race that effect your chances of being able to be an athelete.

I do think women should have to sign up for the draft as well.  For that matter world leaders.  As well as men and women having the exact same entrance requirments for everything.  (currently police and military exams are lower for women.)

Are you sure women's bathrooms are cleaner then men's?  How often have you been in both?  I'd really like Unisex bathrooms too, though i'd worry that some people just couldn't handle it yet.  We have a hard enough time as it is with things with integrated military service.

A certain race? What race would that be? If you're referring to an Arab/Middle Eastern race, there are millions of people who should be included in that category, and would be awfully insulted if they thought that only Jews were considered to belong to that race. Also, there is no specific race in Judaism any more so than in any other religion. There are religious Jews in the Middle East, the United States, the Middle East (primarily Israel), and even in Ethiopia. I'm not sure I really understand this Jewish race you refer to, really. And while there are bioliogical differences that affect athletic performance more than race, they aren't too dependant on religion. You'd also have to take converts into account as well.

I agree as well that women should have to sign up for the draft, but I was listing that as one of the many examples where sexism can be found and most people don't seem to care. And it's not much of an issue from any standard.

As for women's bathrooms, I accidentally walked into one when I was 8 years old. It was sparkling clean and had a grey couch. Besides, are you doubting the wisdom of age old stereotypes and reason? Why wouldn't they be cleaner? Unisex bathrooms would be fine as long as urinals were removed. I'd approve of that, since they don't do anything a toilet couldn't do and they're a waste of whatever material that they're made up of.

MontanaHatchet said:As for women's bathrooms, I accidentally walked into one when I was 8 years old. It was sparkling clean and had a grey couch. Besides, are you doubting the wisdom of age old stereotypes and reason? Why wouldn't they be cleaner? Unisex bathrooms would be fine as long as urinals were removed. I'd approve of that, since they don't do anything a toilet couldn't do and they're a waste of whatever material that they're made up of.

Women would never assent to unisex bathrooms. 

Around the Network

MontanaHatchet said:
Kasz216 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Why are we comparing Jewish and Black men? Both can vary so wildly. You may have an eastern European Jewish person with little to no talent at running, but you may also have a middle eastern Jewish person who is strong and capable of running quickly. With black men, you could have a tall, fast running sprinter from the Caribbean. You may also have a Pygmy. And why Jewish men, seriously? Last I checked, a religion does not equal a race. One of the most athletic people I knew from high school was Jewish. Perhaps you don't see too many Jewish athletes because they make up such a small portion of the population, both in America and worldwide?

Also, why should we integrate? Good lucking getting too many women to be professional athletes when they know they're going to have to compete against men. Some women spend their entire lives trying to be as good at a sport as a man (basketball, wrestling, weightlifting) and many of them have figures that look very little like the average woman's.

Oh, and while a couple of western and European countries may try to integrate leagues, many parts of the worlds would resist the idea. Many middle eastern countries certainly wouldn't like the idea, and many of China's medals in the '08 Olympics were from female sporting events (which would be hurt by male competition, don't you think?). And in all fairness, I could never imagine the world's strongest woman being as strong or stronger than the world's strongest man.

I'm against the idea because I believe that many parts of society are inherently sexist, and if you dwell on every last detail of it, you'll begin to find that it's fairly insignificant. Why aren't all bathrooms unisex? Why don't women have to sign up for the draft? Why are bathrooms for women cleaner? How come there are more male world leaders?

Having all male or all female teams leads to a greater sense of security among teammates and the level of players we see today. And here's the ultimate question: Would there still be separate locker rooms? I hope not. That's so sexist.

Usually a religion doesn't equal a race.  However with Judiasm it's a bit different... certain people of judiasm seem to be of a certain race.  The point is... there are more biological differences and variances when it comes to people then just race that effect your chances of being able to be an athelete.

I do think women should have to sign up for the draft as well.  For that matter world leaders.  As well as men and women having the exact same entrance requirments for everything.  (currently police and military exams are lower for women.)

Are you sure women's bathrooms are cleaner then men's?  How often have you been in both?  I'd really like Unisex bathrooms too, though i'd worry that some people just couldn't handle it yet.  We have a hard enough time as it is with things with integrated military service.

A certain race? What race would that be? If you're referring to an Arab/Middle Eastern race, there are millions of people who should be included in that category, and would be awfully insulted if they thought that only Jews were considered to belong to that race. Also, there is no specific race in Judaism any more so than in any other religion. There are religious Jews in the Middle East, the United States, the Middle East (primarily Israel), and even in Ethiopia. I'm not sure I really understand this Jewish race you refer to, really. And while there are bioliogical differences that affect athletic performance more than race, they aren't too dependant on religion. You'd also have to take converts into account as well.

I agree as well that women should have to sign up for the draft, but I was listing that as one of the many examples where sexism can be found and most people don't seem to care. And it's not much of an issue from any standard.

As for women's bathrooms, I accidentally walked into one when I was 8 years old. It was sparkling clean and had a grey couch. Besides, are you doubting the wisdom of age old stereotypes and reason? Why wouldn't they be cleaner? Unisex bathrooms would be fine as long as urinals were removed. I'd approve of that, since they don't do anything a toilet couldn't do and they're a waste of whatever material that they're made up of.

As far as I know... the "original" jewish people, the person you wouldnt' count as converts are considered different then Arabs.

With different genetic makeups and the like when it comes to diseases etc... and which doesn't really have a name seperate since basically everyone of said race is Jewish.

Regardless, if you want to include all arabs, that's fine.  Certain races are more predisposed to have the kind of body that would work well in proffesional sports.  It's the same with the sexes... same with countries and a number of other features.

So why do we only make an exception and "special class" for one factor?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I would love to see a co-ed league of any sport. It would be awesome. Some women out there would pulverize men at any sport, and they'd have the whole "oh no I was beaten by a girl" macho bullshit shame thing going on on the TV all the time and it would be hilarious. And eventually everybody would realize that women aren't physically inferior.

But I thought women already had sports, like shopping and cooking and cleaning?

First, using a word like inferior posions the well.  It makes anyone who suggests something seem sexist thanks to the connotation.  Regardless of what you want to believe, women are weaker physically.  The average female is less strong than the average male by a noticeable amount, period.  Yes, there are plenty fo women who are stronger than plenty of men, but that doesn't mean anything.  Just because you know a couple 13 year olds more mature than a couple 16 year olds, does that make 13 year olds more mature suddenly?

dtewi said:
CaptainPrefrences said:

Do you ever tolerate or accept others? EVER?!

Yea, certain people.

tarheel91 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I would love to see a co-ed league of any sport. It would be awesome. Some women out there would pulverize men at any sport, and they'd have the whole "oh no I was beaten by a girl" macho bullshit shame thing going on on the TV all the time and it would be hilarious. And eventually everybody would realize that women aren't physically inferior.

But I thought women already had sports, like shopping and cooking and cleaning?

First, using a word like inferior posions the well.  It makes anyone who suggests something seem sexist thanks to the connotation.  Regardless of what you want to believe, women are weaker physically.  The average female is less strong than the average male by a noticeable amount, period.  Yes, there are plenty fo women who are stronger than plenty of men, but that doesn't mean anything.  Just because you know a couple 13 year olds more mature than a couple 16 year olds, does that make 13 year olds more mature suddenly?

Going by averages when talking about individuals is pointless.

How many "average" people play proffesional sports?

Kasz216 said:

Going by averages when talking about individuals is pointless.

How many "average" people play proffesional sports?

I would argue it would come more into play here than in a general population. At the high school and probably even college level integrating the sports would probably ead to a fairly even balance between men and women. The proffesional sports, however, are extremely competitive. We are talking about the top 1% in terms of physical build. These people are born to be able to play better than almost everyone else. At that level the differences between the two groups become extremely apparent. There certainly are women who can compete in any sport out there today. The limited number would probably cause rampant accusations of sexism though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229