By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone see any way the Wii will NOT win this gen?

My post above won't format properly... Arghh.

@Super_etecoon: Most likely we will see these threads over and over.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

steven...i know....donwii was looking for it...i created it, so i knew where to look

Just about everything about the wii is anti longevity.  Its got the price advantage and will sale good untill that erodes or the market just gets bored with it.

As far as pure gaming is concerned the wii is and will be a distand 3rd this and next year.

Nonquihote said:
Just about everything about the wii is anti longevity.

Its got the price advantage and will sale good untill that erodes or the market just gets bored with it.

What do you mean? If anything, the Wii is all about longevity!

Just think of all those extra years of longevity the elderly will gain by playing Wii Sports or Wii Fitness... 

Surprised to see so many of the "same old" arguments here, that have been argued to death.

Barring some sort of "disaster" (Wii RRoD, factories explode, Wii virus, Ninty HQ taken out by earthquake), I think there is a very slim chance - and getting slimmer by the day.

Nintendo "disrupted" the industry, and did it to benefit themselves. Another company can do the same thing - throw in a great big wrench, to completely change the dynamics of the industry.

Its unlikely to be either Sony or MS though. They have both invested too much money & effort in their current products. Sony in particular could have a lot to lose - MS less.

A cheap, next-gen handheld - possibly with digital distribution caps, TV output (so it doubles as a console), and an innovative control system - could be the sort of thing that could do it.

By mixing "handhelds" & "consoles", the industry would be in for a huge shakeup (and it may come next-gen anyway).

One example could be Google & Apple working together - a iPhone type device (without the phone? with the phone?) but aimed at games could be dangerous. Maybe throw Nokia into the mix - the new Ngage deck could threaten handhelds (maybe), but are too different from consoles to affect the dynamics.

I say 'slimmer by the day', as any new device would need to start from "0 units" - and the Wii will have a 10m headstart very soon.

I don't believe the PS3 or 360 have a chance. Neither device can disrupt the industry and reduce the sales/momentum that the Wii has. And Wii sales are only likely to increase as manufacturing issues are reduced, and the price (eventually) drops. 

Sony releasing a "low-end" PS3 (PS4 rumours from while back?) with Wiimote control would disrupt.  But that would also disrupt Sony/PS3 just as much - and possibly worse, admit to the public that their strategy was wrong.

Maybe the worst thing that could happen to Ninty, is the PS3 suffers a complete and rapid death (which doesn't look like it will happen at all). If it did, Sony would drop the platform, and redesign to go right after Nintendo - with all guns blazing.

Probably the best outcome for Ninty would be "average/mediocre" PS3 sales. Sony puts lots of effort/money into the platform, yet it never has a chance to come close to matching the Wii in terms of raw sales.

Take this week in Japan for instance. Even if the PS3 does sell 40k-50k hardware - it would still be less than 50% of the weekly Wii hardware sales. And this with the release of Sony's 2nd strongest title in the region (only behind GT).

All in all, I give the Wii a 95% chance of "winning" this gen (depending on definition of "winning" of course). No doubt that Nintendo have already proven their philosophy a success, and are raking in the profits as a result.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
steven787 said:
@DoesWhatNintenDont: There is nothing more hardcore than a tough asana.

"No more heroes" or "Virasan" there is no question in my mind which is more hardcore.

Hahaha!  Glad to see I'm not the only one who knows whats up!

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

your mother said:
Nonquihote said:

Its got the price advantage and will sale good untill that erodes or the market just gets bored with it.

Just think of all those extra years of longevity the elderly will gain by playing Wii Sports or Wii Fitness...

Iam a early 20s gamer, not a granma.  Just cause shes content with a black and white analog tv does not make the product relevent these days.

Nonquihote said:
your mother said:
Nonquihote said:

Iam a early 20s gamer, not a granma. Just cause shes content with a black and white analog tv does not make the product relevent these days.

My post was originally a joke, but it seems humor is lost on the SDF these days...

Anyway, to reply in the same degree of seriousness to your post, I'd say that granma being content is of huge relevance these days, especially seeing how the "technologically inferior" console is still the outselling the other two. That alone speaks volumes of the relevancy of "obsolete" technology as far as I'm concerned.

In other words, it might not be relevant to you, but unfortunately for you (and your demographic), 20-something gamers are not the only ones that will determine the outcome of this generation.

What I don't understand is why Sony and MS fanboys get so upset at the Wii's success.

The DS and PSP have coexisted. I don't see any reason why the Wii, 360 and PS3 can't coexist.

I think it may play out like a US election where the one that sells less (and ultimately drops out of the video games business) will blame the Wii like it's a third party candidate.

In reality if PS3 or 360 fail, it is not Nintendo's fault that did it. It is the manufacturer of the console where the fault lies, for not running their business properly. The PSP may not be selling like the DS, but it is a good product and it's marketed aggressively (advertising, manufacturing, and pricing)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

your mother said:
Nonquihote said:
your mother said:
Nonquihote said:

Iam a early 20s gamer, not a granma. Just cause shes content with a black and white analog tv does not make the product relevent these days.

My post was originally a joke, but it seems humor is lost on the SDF these days...

Anyway, to reply in the same degree of seriousness to your post, I'd say that granma being content is of huge relevance these days, especially seeing how the "technologically inferior" console is still the outselling the other two. That alone speaks volumes of the relevancy of "obsolete" technology as far as I'm concerned.

In other words, it might not be relevant to you, but unfortunately for you (and your demographic), 20-something gamers are not the only ones that will determine the outcome of this generation.

Hard to tell, since many wii fanboys think old people and soccer mons will make wii unstopable.

Fortunetly for me my type buy the most games, amd 3rd partys arent blind to it.