By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy to be the best selling game of all time?

soccerdrew17 said:
absolutely not. platforming is too niche at this point. non platform gamers might buy it, but it will not be even the best selling game of this generation.

I don't know about platforming being a niche genre. Galaxy will break 10m over its lifetime, more likely than not. 

Around the Network

No super mario is not going to be the best selling video game of all time.

mM
soccerdrew17 said:
absolutely not. platforming is too niche at this point. non platform gamers might buy it, but it will not be even the best selling game of this generation.

It's a Mario game, an insnane number of people are going to buy it; hardcore, casual, platformer lovers, and people who've never touched a platformer.  If this game is seriously as fun as people say it is, just about every hardcore gamer who owns a Wii will more than likely buy it, people buying Wii's as a gift will pick it up, and even parents who have it will pick it up for their grandkids to play when they come over.  

Even if the game isn't nearly as fun as people say it is, I still have no doubt that it's going to be one of the highest selling games this gen.

i don't think that games that were bundled in with a system should be considered when talking about best selling games..

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Around the Network

Sure, Super Mario Bros. was bundled with the Nintendo, but you could still buy a brand new Nintendo, without the game. And sure, Wii Sports is currently bundled with the Wii, but it's more of a demo than a game, and after Super Mario Galaxy is released, it may replace Wii Sports as the bundled game for the Wii. I'm sure you will still be able to buy a Wii, without Super Mario Galaxy, as you could buy the Nintendo, without Super Mario Bros., but more people would probably prefer the bundled pack anyways, so at the end, Super Mario Galaxy will sell too many copies to count.

ripper said:
i don't think that games that were bundled in with a system should be considered when talking about best selling games..

Sure they could. A console that is bundled with a game can usually be purchased without the game, at a lower coast.

By the way, because the Wii can play all Gamecube games, there is a chance that the number of copies of Super Mario Sunshine will increase drastically after Super Mario Galaxy comes out.

Mario Galaxy will undoubtedly be huge, but it way to earlier in the lifecycle of the Wii, or this generation in general, to determine what game will be the best selling , especially considering all time sales.

On top of that, Galaxy will be facing some of the stiffest competiton that we have seen in a very long time this holiday season. People only have so much money they can spend on gaming, and there are just to many huge games coming out this year.

Speaking on my own behalf as a college student, Auburn University, I know when all of the big games are released I am going to have to select carefully cause I just can't afford all the big games this year.

The only games I plan on buying before years end are
-Metroid Prime 3- because my Wii is starving for a great game right now
-Smash Bros- Only if it has online play. I know it is widely believed to have some online component, but I haven't really heard any specifics about it.
Madden 08 Wii- what American doesn't love Madden. It's the perfect dorm room game.
-WWE SvR- have been a fan for years, can't miss the first Wii game.

So, I am going to wait until I beat those games before I even consider Galaxy. Why does everyone rush to buy a game and then try to beat it in a day or two, especially considering Galaxy has no online. Play the games to enjoy them, not just to say you beat it. Bragging rights doesn't justify a $50 price tag in my opinion.

a.l.e.x59 said:
By the way, because the Wii can play all Gamecube games, there is a chance that the number of copies of Super Mario Sunshine will increase drastically after Super Mario Galaxy comes out.

How if you basicly cant find the game?

mM