By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LBP sales have depressed me...

It's not that they're bad... or that I was ever one of the 'HUGE' crowd.

It's just that I've sat and played it for two days now.  I've sat and played Gears 2 and Fable 2 at a friends, I've been playing Fallout 3 and Bioshock on my PS3, I've been playing some Left for Dead on my PC (demo so I can't say for sure on this one)...

And LBP is just the better game IMHO.  There's no way to say this without sounding elitist so I'm not even going to try, but while all those other games sold better (and I'm confident L4D will too), they just plain aren't as innovative, fun and out and out amazing for me.  They're good, but by comparison LBP is more than their equal, and deserves matching sales IMHO.

Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Bioshock feel like what they are to me... highly polished, very refined but pretty derivative of previous gaming experiences.  I really enjoy them, I do.  They are all pretty much AAA titles by any standard, but they are all about refinement and minimal risk taking... and they all seem a little 'samesy' (and I have to say I hope that Gears 2 represents the peak of 'large' guys with 'large' guns running around blasting, stamping and slicing 'large' chunks out of everything while trying to emote - it's not their strong point and I actually find Gears 2 weaker than 1 for trying to take itself more seriously, I just don't believe the franchise can support it).

Fable 2 is a nice balance of innovation with refinement, and is probably my next favourite title after LBP right now.

L4D is awesome but not as innovate as I'd hoped - I guess so many years of access to thousands of mods on PC FPS meant that many of its aspects would seem familiar.  But it is innovate, and well polished and refined to boot (as far as I can tell from demo).

But LBP is just innovative, polished, refined and the best 'pure' game I've played for years (the next closest title would be Portal, but that was just a single new concept simply executed at the end of the day, even it did have the best song in a game ever).  I just smile all the time I'm playing LBP.  It's infectious.

Now I didn't expect such a cute, fun new IP to outgun shooters like Gears 2... but now I've played it I've found myself depressed because it's hard not to feel that it should outsell a title like Gears 2.  Crazy I know, but it's how I feel.  It's like when I see a great film do okay while something like 'Armageddon' makes millions (although that's worse because while Gears 2 is great and I'll be popping around to my mates plenty to play it, Armageddon is a POS).

So I find myself wondering what's up with the consumer?  After all who else is there to blame?

Why do new IP's struggle?  Why should SMG (which is very good) sell so much vs LBP (which is oh so much better)?

Why should games with oversized guns sell better than games with sackboys?  And what's up with the Japanese?  How in hell can they buy shed loads of games with cute characters, shun shooters for the most part, love Mario and Sonic platformers and not like this?  Is it advertising?  Do they even know it's out?

Or to put it another way... why aren't you buying LBP when it really is that good?  I normally ignore scores but for once I find myself nodding as I look at its reviews and rating on Gamerankings.

I'm so annoyed at the gaming public... I better go calm down... and play some more LBP (after all it might be time to start my first level... or should I get an EyeToy first so I can have my own images?).

A final point.  I think the recall really hurt LBP and I wonder what others think.  I believe it had two negative effects:

1) it meant the title launched much closer to the big shooters (both PS3 and 360) than it should have plus it confused the whole release

2) the nature of the recal implied that despite its image LBP had managed to get itself unsuitable content - and any linking to content that could upset Muslims remains an issue I beleive (just ask that Danish cartoonist).

I think Sony should simply have released then patched.  At the end of the day it was only 1 email for pete's sake.  And the guy who sent it ended up mortified when they delayed release.  I think Sony thought it was showing itself to be totally commited to this wonderful new IP that didn't deserve any blemish on its character, but I believe the recall turned out to be a very bad move on their part.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

You are depressed because DMJ was always their with his LBP WILL BE HUGE and he hyped you like hell....And now when it didn't sold so much you are depressed I would report DMJ if I was you!

I haven't had a lot of time to spend with the game as yet, but I was wondering: are you impressed with the content that pre-exists in the game, are you impressed with the user-creation tools, or is it a combination of both?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Your letting sales of a video game actually depress you?  Time to go outside, your taking games way to serious.

Its a miss for anyone that passes LBP.

Around the Network
Dinomax said:

Your letting sales of a video game actually depress you?  Time to go outside, your taking games way to serious.

If you haven't noticed, this is a website on which games are generally taken seriously.  Additionally, this is a comment on the state of the industry as a whole, which has shown many times in the past to lack an appreciation for certain titles which deserved far more attention than they received (though usually to a more significant degree).

Hates Nomura.

Well, not a lot of people really want to play a cutesy, fun game, no matter how innovative it is.

It's just not some people's cup of tea, like mine.

While I respect it as a AAA title, I'd throw 10 games away, like LBP, to be able to play Gears 2, or Fallout 4 right about now.

Another game that I magnificently love is Mario Galaxy. From what I've played of LBP, I like Galaxy a lot better, and I can't really understand why.

I think the key lies within LBP's inherent lack of freedom in the gameplay department. It's cute, it's endearing, I enjoy it for minutes at a time, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel like an epic game. Not the company, the classification.

I guess I could best compare the game to Guitar Hero, or Elite Beat Agents. It's great, magnificant fun, and one of the best games on the PS3. However, it's a completely different experience from playing a game that has a sense of building, freedom, and exploration in it.

As for Gears 2, the increase focus on Story, attempted successfully, to fix issues that people had with the first games narrative. Thing is, Gears narrative is, and always will be about character development and interactions. It's about having a good laugh with the guys....like deer camp. Gears 2 is the deer camp of narratives.

If you don't know what deer camp is, it's a place where a bunch of grown ass men go to camp out, get away from their wives, and hunt deer. It's usually less hunting, and more jokes, food, farting, snoring, cards, and telling stories. It's an escape from the drama, but it's also very interesting to watch.

As for Gears 2 being able to support serious story, it most certainly can. The core game is so polished and excellent, you could have Dom start quoting Hamlet, and it would still get 90 plus reviews, sell millions of copies in 2 days, and be loved by gears and non-gears fans alike.

When it's true, it's always necessary to remember that most people don't share your opinion. This is one of those cases.

Back to LBP, yes, I can see how it would be depressing for you. We've all seen our share of games we were fanboys of, flop.

Luckily for me, Fallout 3 is unquestionably my GotY, so I can't really be dissapointed with its sales, I always have the Steam excuse.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

GooseGaws said:
Dinomax said:

If you haven't noticed, this is a website on which games are generally taken seriously.  Additionally, this is a comment on the state of the industry as a whole, which has shown many times in the past to lack an appreciation for certain titles which deserved far more attention than they received (though usually to a more significant degree).

Do I really need to see some guy's fillings? Thanks a lot.

Hates Nomura.

Dinomax said:
GooseGaws said:
Dinomax said:

dude you should respect people here. This is VG Chartz and basically people talk here about games and sales.

Persona4 = WIN

PSP fanboi