By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Movie execs worried about Blu-Ray

The first article tunes in to the negative aspect and the second article downplays the negative aspect.

cherry picking at its best.

Around the Network
goddog said:
Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:
The way I look at it is that Blu-ray will still be popular, but only for content people really want to keep. DD will be for most movies and TV shows that will be watched once or twice, which is still a very large part of the market. IMO, Blu-ray will never capture the market like DVD but will probably be like audio cassetes, a stopgap between records and CDs.

Basically you have it right.  DD will take the rental sector and bluray will have the larger share of the purchase market.  Probably a shared market like this for many many years.

Id have to say the rent market will be bigger than the own market, but the DD own market will also be bigger than bluerays will be, the itunes store is already kicking ass there with over 18 millon in unit sales last year sales (no solid numbers on this year but expected to be much higher), though thats just a small peas for right now.

(though these movie sales pale in comaprison to music sales which are over 1 billion tracks every 3 months starting march of this year) link has old article  http://metue.com/06-19-2008/apple-itunes-sells-5-billion-songs-videos-strong/

What % is hd though and what % is meant for non portable use.  I'm only evaluating HD material as aside from that there is no use for blu-ray aside from the gaming market(maybe). 

I also dont hate on DD, i just find in the HD world/ gaming world certain companies are pushing a product that even more people can't reach.  Next msft console is possibly only going to be DD, I just don't like that idea.  I do use DD for music though but I stopped downloading tv shows and movies because the voice-video sync issues are severely troubling and make me want to shoot an arrow through my screen.  I was however refunded the cost ever time this happened though.

i call this one for journalistic non-integrity. Just check the article's own link to reuters... debating more about this is useless, blu ray execs are bullish and confident.

I believe HD is overated.

I have an Xbox 360 and I have watched some 720P movie trailers and some HD movies using marketplace. I also have watched the whole Heroes Season 1 using the HD-DVD add-on. Was the graphics gorgeous? Yes. Was it really important? Nah. For the first 5 or 10 minutes, there were some WOW moments regarding picture clarity, then it's just a TV show. If the story was bad, I would've stopped even it is 4320P. BTW I am still glad that I sold my HD DVD add-on right after I finished Heroes S1 (like 5 days). One of my best decisions ever.

To me, good screenplay, acting, and directing of a movie are far more important for me to be entertained, not the resolution of the picture. Is the picture in 720P much better than DVD's 480P? Yes, but not that better. Someone might suggest 1080P, but I sit about 10 feet from my 46 inch TV so it won't matter to human eyes, unless you have some supernatural eyesight, I guess.

Well I guess I am in this "DVD is good enough" group.

Yes I don't think digital download will be the near future, neither will be HD VOD. Movie is just so different from music. Those worries from the studio executives are so phony. As someone already pointed out, they are not discontinuing DVD, are they? What's there to worry about?

Bboid said:
goddog said:
Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:
The way I look at it is that Blu-ray will still be popular, but only for content people really want to keep. DD will be for most movies and TV shows that will be watched once or twice, which is still a very large part of the market. IMO, Blu-ray will never capture the market like DVD but will probably be like audio cassetes, a stopgap between records and CDs.

Basically you have it right.  DD will take the rental sector and bluray will have the larger share of the purchase market.  Probably a shared market like this for many many years.

Id have to say the rent market will be bigger than the own market, but the DD own market will also be bigger than bluerays will be, the itunes store is already kicking ass there with over 18 millon in unit sales last year sales (no solid numbers on this year but expected to be much higher), though thats just a small peas for right now.

(though these movie sales pale in comaprison to music sales which are over 1 billion tracks every 3 months starting march of this year) link has old article  http://metue.com/06-19-2008/apple-itunes-sells-5-billion-songs-videos-strong/

What % is hd though and what % is meant for non portable use.  I'm only evaluating HD material as aside from that there is no use for blu-ray aside from the gaming market(maybe). 

I also dont hate on DD, i just find in the HD world/ gaming world certain companies are pushing a product that even more people can't reach.  Next msft console is possibly only going to be DD, I just don't like that idea.  I do use DD for music though but I stopped downloading tv shows and movies because the voice-video sync issues are severely troubling and make me want to shoot an arrow through my screen.  I was however refunded the cost ever time this happened though.

I dont forsee full DD in the next console, but rathe rathe option. with a solid state, something like compact flash, or sd, or even just a jumpdrive being the prefered method of delivery. this does 2 things, lowers the number of moving parts, and reduces packing. 

sorry no breakdown of HD content yet, i looked for it.... expect to see it after this quarter. 

who did you use that had voice sync errors (so many things can cause that its amazing even in home theaters)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

daxiang
that doesn't stop the human need to constantly get better. At one time black and white was good enough, vhs was good enough, and a home pc was good enough.

By mid-09 we should have a good idea of what will happen to the format.

4 ≈ One

theprof00 said:
daxiang
that doesn't stop the human need to constantly get better. At one time black and white was good enough, vhs was good enough, and a home pc was good enough.

68k was good enough.... heh i should mod one of my apple IIe so i can get on this website form them... that would be hard core...

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
Bboid said:
goddog said:
Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:

I dont forsee full DD in the next console, but rathe rathe option. with a solid state, something like compact flash, or sd, or even just a jumpdrive being the prefered method of delivery. this does 2 things, lowers the number of moving parts, and reduces packing. 

sorry no breakdown of HD content yet, i looked for it.... expect to see it after this quarter. 

who did you use that had voice sync errors (so many things can cause that its amazing even in home theaters)

itunes had the syncing issues and it wasnt on my home theatre, was pc.  Each time I got a refund and redownload for free without errors.  I just had to call and stay on hold forever.  Each time rep said it was a known issue.  It happened like 1 in 50 times though.  It's happened to quite a few coworkers, friends and family as well.

But you did just make me think of something interesting.  The new DVD's and blu-rays with digital copy for portables is amazing.  I'd like to see that expand.  With expansion of DC and DD everyone can get what they want.

As for next msft console, I actually would love to see them use Blu-ray and focus on the next console being possibly DD only.  By then blu-ray would be affordable to include in the console and be on the same relative playing field with sony.  They can always include all types of media drives for future media if they wanted.  Just not sure if any of the flash drives would be affordable like dvds/bluray when comparing size.

Prof,
I agree that constantly getting better is in our nature. But if you take music as an example, would you agree CD's quality is better than most MP3s? Why CD sales keep diving while MP3 gets more popular?
To most people, 128Kb/s sound is just good enough.
Sorry for going off-topic (movie).
Just some thoughts.