By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Movie execs worried about Blu-Ray

@skeeuk, i was looking at your sig, did you really buy into the old circuit city divx movie rental program, or do you just use the divex codec that is popular for downlaoding ripped movies

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:

i cant understand what the big fuss is about.

its as if some people are claiming that sony are not going to do digital distribution of hd movies, when in fact they are.

bluray and hd-dvd for that matter are far far superior than a DL or a STREAM title.

theres simply no collectablity on digital distribution at all, but on bluray there is.

bluray and hd-dvd have a better quality picture, better sound and better features

for thse who have very fast connections then the DL rental scheme will work best for them for those who just want to watch a movie. i on the other hand have no intention of paying extra to upgrade my net speed solely for digital distributed movies.

theres no way a studio will release thier film on digital 1st, they will release it on dvd and bluray

digital dist. imo, is a kind of add on, it will be there for ppl who want to take advantage of it. when the time comes and it wont be anytime soon, you will find digital as the norm, but i will always pick a bluray to keep rather than shell out for a digital version.

You are right about quality but that is not the point.

It is way too expensive for having the superior quality for now...

Mass market would enjoy digital ditribution rather than blowing money on a high-tech installation.

Remember also that hardware = low margin ; digital content = high margin.

They want to sell movies and content, not expensive piece of hardware... quality is something relative for the moment I guess.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
Skeeuk said:

i cant understand what the big fuss is about.

its as if some people are claiming that sony are not going to do digital distribution of hd movies, when in fact they are.

bluray and hd-dvd for that matter are far far superior than a DL or a STREAM title.

theres simply no collectablity on digital distribution at all, but on bluray there is.

bluray and hd-dvd have a better quality picture, better sound and better features

for thse who have very fast connections then the DL rental scheme will work best for them for those who just want to watch a movie. i on the other hand have no intention of paying extra to upgrade my net speed solely for digital distributed movies.

theres no way a studio will release thier film on digital 1st, they will release it on dvd and bluray

digital dist. imo, is a kind of add on, it will be there for ppl who want to take advantage of it. when the time comes and it wont be anytime soon, you will find digital as the norm, but i will always pick a bluray to keep rather than shell out for a digital version.

You are right about quality but that is not the point.

It is way too expensive for having the superior quality for now...

Mass market would enjoy digital ditribution rather than blowing money on a high-tech installation.

Remember also that hardware = low margin ; digital content = high margin.

They want to sell movies and content, not expensive piece of hardware... quality is something relative for the moment I guess.

I think people prefer buying a Bluray player and spend some money on it once, than having to pay more for faster internet connections,  And you have to think that there are countries where internet speed is not to great. I think most people woudnt be able to download a lot of HD movies, and it would just be tiresome to watch a movie.

With phisical media, you just buy the hardware and buy or rent the  movies, no problem in that.

pastro243 said:

I think people prefer buying a Bluray player and spend some money on it once, than having to pay more for faster internet connections,  And you have to think that there are countries where internet speed is not to great. I think most people woudnt be able to download a lot of HD movies, and it would just be tiresome to watch a movie.

With phisical media, you just buy the hardware and buy or rent the  movies, no problem in that.

Mmmh not so sure .... fast internet connections are cheap commodities now...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
pastro243 said:

Mmmh not so sure .... fast internet connections are cheap commodities now...

what exactly do you call cheap?

Around the Network

Am I the only one who remember that many DVDs were selling for $30 at this point in the format's life span? Those that didn't had squat for special features.

Black Friday will be bringing us our first sub-$200 players.

December will bring us The Dark Knight, the biggest film phenomenon in a decade.

Already the adpotion rate has been faster than normal DVD. Within 2 years, players will be readily available for under $150, and increased production will reduce the cost of BR discs to DVD levels.

The only reason to panic over this is if you thought BR would be an overnight success. That's foolish. BR is slowly cutting into the market.

Movies will go to the cloud, so back-ups are unnecessary and streaming will be king. Purchase a movie once, watch as many times as you would like, whenever you like, for however long you like. This could possibly cripple the current broadband infrastructure here in the US, but there are ways to improve networking algorithms and charge ultra bandwidth hoggers for their excessiveness. It is the future. I will get a glimpse of this future with Netflix HD streaming on the 19th. The quality will not be as good as blu-ray, but the ability to browse through 300 movies and watch them almost instantly is a VERY big plus for me. Hopefully my connection will be able to handle it.

I'm always curious why so many people take extreme views such as its all about downloads or physical will always be king.

For the foreseeable future both are going to be viable, which is why you're seeing Sony and others get behind both continued physical media sales as well as downloads and streaming.

Rarely in our history has anything switched overnight and its highly unlikey this will be the case here.

Even if Western infrastructures improve to support a mainly download/stream approach its likely that physical media will still be dominant in many, many other countries that simply won't have the infrastructure to support downloads for the mass market.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...