By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Movie execs worried about Blu-Ray

Bboid said:
blue ray is also an attempt to keep people from moving formats, there is nothing more profitable for these people then keeping you from moving a copy of something you own, making you buy a new one

Well, though I agree with what is said, from the other side, up to now; there are multiple reasons behind this.  Im not saying I 100% agree with either side but i do see each view.  It basically boils down to a war against piracy.  You can say its bull all you want, but it cuts into their profits and they are in the business to make profit.  You do not technically own a movie you purchase.  You own a small round disc or a string of binary numbers which gives you permission to view the material that said producer has published.  It's not so much they are forcing you onto a single format to keep you on that format, they are forcing a format because they are trying to narrow it down the number of formats to track.  We probably pay a 100% premium for movies and games these days solely for businesses to make up for lost profits from piracy.  Greed vs. Greed, who wins?

I feel as if this post might derail the thread, but fighting piracy is a legit issue that none of us truely like.

ah the war of ownership, see here is where it gets murky because copyright law says i can have copies, to keep a backup, and even use that back up if I want as the primary copy even if its in a difrent format as long as i dont reditriute it. they try and cricumvent this by encoding it, and the only way we can make copies (which we have a right to do) now is by breaking an a corprate law about reverse engineering.  catch 22.  

I am against pircay too, I buy all my movies, regardless of format. 

edit more no the way we make copies, there was a loop hole in dvd, if you got it from the player to the tv, you could make a legal copy without breaking any laws. however with the advent of blueray, special technology was developed to keep this from happening now you must reverse engineer it to get the copy which is illegal. they went so far as to convince MS to happer fx card output to make sure that there was no way someone could get a copy by ripping straight video...... they failed but they crippled performance of an OS

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
i call this one for journalistic non-integrity. Just check the article's own link to reuters... debating more about this is useless, blu ray execs are bullish and confident.

Yep.  I saw the original source and the studios were optimistic about BD despite the economy.  Then we had these "journalists" that are trying to steer people away from BD spin the original source to even say the exact opposite.  BD is now averaging about 10% of market share.  Big budget releases like Iron Man do closer to 20% (ones that appeal to the 25-50 male).  This is for North America.  Here in Japan, BD is exploding in popularity (but I won't talk too much about that because many people say "Japan doesn't count").  For those that compare it to LD, it's already passed that point a long time ago that LD got to in 20 years.

BD will be around for a long time.  It may or may not have the same success as DVD, but it's definitely not going anywhere.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

crumas2 said:
goddog said:
crumas2 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Regarding this thread, there's a lot more to picture quality than resolution. Just FYI.

Yeah... bit-rate discussions could drag this on for at least another 100 posts.

true, though none of these resolutions or bit-rates hold a candle to the original film quality, they can be graduated to each new level of digital output, where 1080p recored movies will always be 1080p

You just hit on a VERY interesting point.  Unlike traditional distribution optical media, magnetic/solid-state media isn't a "fixed" asset, i.e. - the content can be moved from storage device to storage device.  This means I can move today's HD video files to new storage assets in the future, store them together with better/higher-quality video files, and the only "media" loss is retirement of the older drive.

Contrast this with upgrading a large DVD collection to Blu-ray... dozens or hundreds of old discs have to be "retired" instead of simply replacing older-format video files with newer, higher-quality video files.

Yeah, I like my optical movie storage, but a massive multi-terabyte movie jukebox would be very compelling.  Making the tech drop-dead simple like inserting an optical disc will be important if that tech is every to compete with Blu-ray head-on.

I can think of very few legal digital download services that allow you to transfer the movie from device to device.  The DRM restrictions usually require the downloaded content to be played on the device it was purchased (except for the Playstation Store with the PSP).  Tranferability is not the only issue because these downloaded movies aren't really yours so there is really no reason to organize them.  The movies typically expire after a short legal viewing window.

Actually, moving to Blu-ray is a better argument for your assumptions.  Bringing Blu-ray into your life is not a fork lift upgrade.  You will still be able to enjoy your DVD library.  In fact, all Blu-ray players will upscale your library providing you with forward compatibility.  The upgrade from VHS to DVD was much more painful because you still needed a vcr to play your VHS library.  Once you upgrade to Blu-ray you will no longer need your DVD player.

Attached is a video quality reference table.  Please note the last column is the bit rate.  The bit rate directly effects your ability to upscale video.

Video quality reference table from best to worst:
(Some data might be outdated, missing, or approximate but I will update)
Source/service CODEC Resolution Bit-rate
Blu-ray H.264 or MPEG2 1920×1080 1080i/p 40
HD DVD H.264 or VC-1 1920×1080 1080i/p 28
ATSC HDTV MPEG2 1920×1080 1080i/p 19.39
Digital cable MPEG2 1920×1080 1080i/p ~ 16
Verizon FiOS
Video on demand MPEG2 1920×1080 1080i 15
DISH HD MPEG2/MPEG4 1440×1080 < 10
DIRECTV HD MPEG2/MPEG4 1280×1080 < 10
IPTV H.264 ? < 10
Xbox Live Video VC-1 1280×720 720p 6.8
DVD MPEG2 720×480 480i * 8
Apple iTunes QuickTime/H.264 1280×720 720p 4
Web “HD” downloads H.264 1280×720 720p 1.5

link -> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/68614-here-s-what-fake-hd-video-looks-like.html

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

@dbot
Dish already allows storage of downloaded he movies to USB attached drives, so they seem to be moving in in the direction of greater media flexibility.
The music and movie industry would love to force everyone to buy content on optical drives, but as transfer bandwidth and storage capacities rise, consumers and distribution vendors (such as dish) will push harder and harder for greater content playback flexibility. Case in point: iPod and iTunes.
Movie studios fought tooth and nail to stop the advent of vidio recorders, but the market shoved them into a corner.

The older models of content distribution keep evolving. The challenge for the content producers is to adapt to consumer demand.

@dbot
Forgot to mention... Only dish ppv movies expire. DVD recordings of hd network programs never expire. I have some he content from the spring.

Around the Network
crumas2 said:
@dbot
Forgot to mention... Only dish ppv movies expire. DVD recordings of hd network programs never expire. I have some he content from the spring.

the industry really seems to hate home made dvr, they have tamed tivo so they can get shows to expire, the main reason i use eyetv

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

@crumas - I don't think we are discussing the capabilities of DVRs or your ability to record over the air broadcasts. These capabilities have been around since VHS. The discussion is regarding the market that includes pay per view, VOD, digital distribution, DVD, and Blu-ray. At least that is the focus of my comments. Are you suggesting that Dish allows you to record and transfer the 1080p VOD or Pay Per view?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

goddog said:
Bboid said:
blue ray is also an attempt to keep people from moving formats, there is nothing more profitable for these people then keeping you from moving a copy of something you own, making you buy a new one

Well, though I agree with what is said, from the other side, up to now; there are multiple reasons behind this.  Im not saying I 100% agree with either side but i do see each view.  It basically boils down to a war against piracy.  You can say its bull all you want, but it cuts into their profits and they are in the business to make profit.  You do not technically own a movie you purchase.  You own a small round disc or a string of binary numbers which gives you permission to view the material that said producer has published.  It's not so much they are forcing you onto a single format to keep you on that format, they are forcing a format because they are trying to narrow it down the number of formats to track.  We probably pay a 100% premium for movies and games these days solely for businesses to make up for lost profits from piracy.  Greed vs. Greed, who wins?

I feel as if this post might derail the thread, but fighting piracy is a legit issue that none of us truely like.

ah the war of ownership, see here is where it gets murky because copyright law says i can have copies, to keep a backup, and even use that back up if I want as the primary copy even if its in a difrent format as long as i dont reditriute it. they try and cricumvent this by encoding it, and the only way we can make copies (which we have a right to do) now is by breaking an a corprate law about reverse engineering.  catch 22.  

I am against pircay too, I buy all my movies, regardless of format. 

edit more no the way we make copies, there was a loop hole in dvd, if you got it from the player to the tv, you could make a legal copy without breaking any laws. however with the advent of blueray, special technology was developed to keep this from happening now you must reverse engineer it to get the copy which is illegal. they went so far as to convince MS to happer fx card output to make sure that there was no way someone could get a copy by ripping straight video...... they failed but they crippled performance of an OS

Yeah, some studios have loopholes to prevent you from even making a copy without expressed written authorization (this is mostly sports leagues and infamously the NFL, oh and PBS requires this.  PBS even requires authorization for you to show any of their productions to a group of people, i.e. students, and often times there is a $ contribution to do so).  Those are relatively extreme examples however.  The whole problem with how they are fighting piracy is they are just now tackling the asian piracy market with their encoding method in blurays.  Sad thing is this issue of pirated movies on hard copy(dvd) is mostly history as DD is the preferred method of pirated films and such.

Isn't this entire subject tiring.  This whole format war goes way deeper than 95% of individuals understand, or even want to understand.  I again, see both sides of the argument but neither one seems more clear.

Yeah, and digital distribution is much better because only countries like the usa will have it. I mean, you cant expect people all over the world to have internet connection that fast, you will download an HD movie and you will only be able to watch like one a month, and maybe you wont be able to keep them because lack of storage space.
Digital distribution is the future, but a more distant future.

i cant understand what the big fuss is about.

its as if some people are claiming that sony are not going to do digital distribution of hd movies, when in fact they are.

bluray and hd-dvd for that matter are far far superior than a DL or a STREAM title.

theres simply no collectablity on digital distribution at all, but on bluray there is.

bluray and hd-dvd have a better quality picture, better sound and better features

for thse who have very fast connections then the DL rental scheme will work best for them for those who just want to watch a movie. i on the other hand have no intention of paying extra to upgrade my net speed solely for digital distributed movies.

theres no way a studio will release thier film on digital 1st, they will release it on dvd and bluray

digital dist. imo, is a kind of add on, it will be there for ppl who want to take advantage of it. when the time comes and it wont be anytime soon, you will find digital as the norm, but i will always pick a bluray to keep rather than shell out for a digital version.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...