By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Speak Channel Only For Wii Speak Purchasers, Don’t Buy It Used

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12/wii-speak-channel-only-for-wii-speak-purchasers/

I got “Animal Crossing City Folk” for Wii in the mail from Nintendo yesterday, along with a separate box containing the Wii Speak peripheral.

As is so often the case, I discovered something interesting in the fine print. Here’s a tip: if you’re buying Wii Speak, don’t buy it used.

The Wii Speak peripheral is a microphone that is made to be placed above or below your TV, enabling group Internet-connected voice chat with other people who also own the peripheral. I can’t tell how useful that’s going to be until Multiplayer’s own Tracey John and I try some “Animal Crossing” chat.

The peripheral can also be used without “Animal Crossing,” just for game-free voice chat, but that requires used of the Wii Speak Channel, which will be released in December.

But there’s a catch, a fine print surprise. There is a pamphlet packaged with the peripheral that includes a 16-character code, a “Wii Download Ticket Number,” to be used for downloading the Wii Speak Channel. According to the pamphlet, this code “cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen.”

A Nintendo rep further clarified to me that the channel won’t be able to be downloaded through any other means. You won’t be able to get it off the Wii Shopping Channel manually, nor would you be able to buy it. Essentially, the Wii Speak Channel will be available to new purchasers of the Wii Speak mic and that’s it.

I’d imagine that anyone who gets a Wii Speak in anything other than its original packaging — buys it used on eBay, for example — isn’t going to get a fresh code. And without the code, they won’t be able to get the channel. So if you’re shopping for Wii Speak, you’d best buy it new. I don’t think use of a used Wii Speak mic would limit its functionality with “Animal Crossing,” but I can’t confirm that. Still, this isn’t how most gaming peripherals like, say the “Rock Band” drums or the Wii Balance Board are restricted, so I thought it best to pass on.

And is the peripheral worth it? We’ll let you know once we test it out.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's make one thing clear: this does not mean you can't play games with a used Wii Speak, just that you can't download the Wii Speak Channel.

This does not mean you can't play games with a used Wii Speak, just that you can't download the Wii Speak Channel.

This does not mean you can't play games with a used Wii Speak, just that you can't download the Wii Speak Channel.

Now that this warning has been put up five times, let's see how long it will take someone to completely ignore it. Oh, and discuss.

Around the Network

Oh, and as to what the Wii Speak Channel is, you can find out here. And, once again, not having this doesn't stop you from chatting in games.

I read where it says "At no additional charge" in reference to the Wii Speak channel.

Maybe it will also be available as a "pay to download"? Just like with the Wii Internet Channel? Earlier adopters got it for free, new users need to pay.

Maybe an incentive to prevent people from buying 3rd party devices? Just a thought. Although I am probably completely wrong.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

I read where it says "At no additional charge" in reference to the Wii Speak channel.

Maybe it will also be available as a "pay to download"? Just like with the Wii Internet Channel? Earlier adopters got it for free, new users need to pay.

Maybe an incentive to prevent people from buying 3rd party devices? Just a thought. Although I am probably completely wrong.

That might happen in the long run, but a Nintendo rep did say that "the channel won't be able to be downloaded through any other means."

So for now, at least, that's a no-go. We'll see how long that lasts.

noname2200 said:
Euphoria14 said:

That might happen in the long run, but a Nintendo rep did say that "the channel won't be able to be downloaded through any other means."

So for now, at least, that's a no-go. We'll see how long that lasts.

Either way, this is just an attempt to prevent 3rd party peripheral sales it seems. Although since it only affects something I would most likely never use, that is no big deal. It still works in game whether it is used or new. 

I do believe it will end up downloadable sometime in the future though.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Any pictures of the channel running yet?
(>'.')>

I'm planning in buying AC, and I'm planning in use it in my Wii and in my cousin's Wii. And if these motherfuckar didn't allow me to use all the resources availlable in both consoles, I've got only one think to say: Homebrew Channel + IOS downgrader + wad installer.
Until now I didn't installed it, bought all mt VC games, but if they make me install the Homebrew Channel, call me "Jack Sparrow"...

www.cuidar.com.br

That's just awesome....

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Yeah!
Warnings for me to ignore, and proceed directly to complaining!

Seems to be a solid way to encourage buying new.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

flames_of said:
Yeah!
Warnings for me to ignore, and proceed directly to complaining!

Seems to be a solid way to encourage buying new.

Aww...but you listened to the warnings anyway. Phooey.

And while I agree that this encourages buying new peripherals, I find that aspect objectionable. I'm struggling to think of other object that has this kind of restriction (i.e. that functionality is restricted for all but the original user) slapped onto every sale. I'm not coming up with any. This probably isn't illegal, per se, but it's certainly much more anti-consumer than I'm happy with.

What's next? We already have a system in which you can only install a game on your PC a handful of times, and they're proposing that portions of your game withheld and only accessible via a one-use code, or that the game's ending be available only via DLC (which is free for first-time buyers).

Personally, I want none of this. If your stuff isn't good enough, and people prefer to sell it, it's a sign that you need to come up with better ideas...