By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

Yup, that problably explains why there is no online multiplayer on PS3 for Virtua tennis 3, Virtua fighter 5 and Tony hawks project 8 but all those games do have multiplayer on 360

Also look at how many XBLA games have online multiplayer, the numbers are astonishing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:
Yup, that problably explains why there is no online multiplayer on PS3 for Virtua tennis 3, Virtua fighter 5 and Tony hawks project 8 but all those games do have multiplayer on 360

Also look at how many XBLA games have online multiplayer, the numbers are astonishing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're paying 50 bucks a year to play Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5 and Tony Hawk's Project 8 online?

1) Play Top Spin 3

2) Play Dark Resurrection Onlinr

3) no retaliation there.

So you're now paying 50 bucks a year to play perhaps the worst game in the Tony Hawk's series online?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

^ Amazon sells the 13 month cards for $39 - $3 a month

I think subscription fees will soon fade out though as other means to recuperate the the on-going service expenses will become more and more available as the service expands its offerings. Will they get a slice of the pie for each movie streamed on NetFlix for example???

Sony is trying to do this when Home is eventually launched with all their proposed microtranscations for avatar clothing and virtual world being the platform for companies to utilise for marketing...although the constant display of advertising could get annoying. You may end up wishing for subscription fees to get rid of pop-up ads.

Lets all pay $3 a month to ioi to get rid of the smiley ads!!! HEEEEEELLLLLOOOOO!!!

Here is the nitty gritty people... you pay for a service you have the right to call and bitch them out... if it's free... well you have no right to call a bitch them out. On this note EA does have the Live servers for it's games... they generally have more problems then everyone else's games.

Around the Network
misteromar mk4 said:
Still should be free, there is no excuse except money grabbing.

Tell that to Sony. They are thinking of ways to make profit off of online. Now that Kutaragi is gone thats a big possibility. They will try to slip in fees wherever they can in the near future so keep your eyes peeled. Anyway, I don't understand why people would complain about paying $50 for a whole year of online play. It's a year..not a month. If you're going to complain about that, I don't know how you pay for a $60 game possibly once a month (Depending on how much of a gamer you are, possibly even less than a month) for either the 360 or the pS3.

KylieDog said:
Ronster316 said:

Right, but if those games and many others don't interest me, I still have to pay for them...

If I only want to play 1 single game online, I have to pay and fund all the rest I don't?   No, sorry, that is crap.

I heard that Sony is planning on starting a fee for M.A.G.

They make enough profit margin on the games sold to easily cover online cost. M$ are just lucky Sony dropped the ball with their online, they should have not pumped all their money into "Home" and just spent that money getting their online gaming up to scratch with live. Also lucky Nintendo dont care too much for online this gen again.

They make money of selling down-loadable games and DLC for retail games. The first of the 3 console makers that make decent free online will have a great selling advantage, that will make them more money than charging monthly subscription.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

misteromar mk4 said:

The first of the 3 console makers that make decent free online will have a great selling advantage, that will make them more money than charging monthly subscription.

I don't agree. You get what you pay for and XBL proved that an online service with subscription (don't forget the NXE and the marketplace) is the most interesting offer.

It is not only about playing online... DLC, attractive marketplace, evolutive NXE architecture development to enhance party gaming ... those stuffs aren't free .

If a company can achieve "decent" free online offer than good for them... but I'm looking for a BMW, not a Fiat ...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Kantor said:
Ronster316 said:

So you're paying 50 bucks a year to play Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5 and Tony Hawk's Project 8 online?

1) Play Top Spin 3

2) Play Dark Resurrection Onlinr

3) no retaliation there.

So you're now paying 50 bucks a year to play perhaps the worst game in the Tony Hawk's series online?

1. Top spin 3? Ha Ha Ha....... Garbage compared to Virtua tennis 3

2. Only for tekken fans, I'm a Virtua fighter boy, Oh and isn't tekken 6 coming to 360

3. Tony hawks project 8 OWNS proving ground

4. A far higher percentage of XBLA games have Multiplayer compared to PSN games

5. And as above shows a far higher percentage of full price retail games have online for 360 when compared to PS3 aswell