By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think most of the video games out there are good?

@rolstoppable - Agreed. We only allow good games in here. Any mention of Superman 64 being your favorite game and you shall be exiled post-haste.

It's a tricky question. First you have to define "good," and everyone will have their own opinions of that. Some games are good in one way but lacking in others, such as good graphics but poor gameplay, good gameplay but poor graphics or music or any number of things. If someone really loves good graphics, the good gameplay may not be enough to qualify the game as good for them if it has bad graphics.

I'd say that in a general sense, developers don't put enough effort into many aspects of their games, especially where franchises are involved. Tight schedules, publishers making decisions that developers should really be making, etc, are some of the things to blame. If you want better games, it'll probably take a major restructuring of the industry. Good luck.

And if you ask me, the potential of video games has hardly had its surface scratched yet, so by that standard very few games have been good.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Around the Network

There are a ton of bad, mediocre games out there, far more than good games. Go through a complete emulator list of older systems and play through each individual title (which I have done on my friends old Xbox). A lot of games just plain suck.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

For me, it depends on my attitude. If I feel like having fun, the game could be alomst anything, especially if it is one-screen multiplayer. If I am in a bad mood either the game has to be really good or really relaxing.

I think the reason why companies don't care is it is less risky to make a game, say about dragons, and then people will buy it because they want to pretend they have a pet dragon on the battle field. Or a movie license. Then most of the buyers are moderately happy with their purchase because the game did the job... they got to ride around on a dragon. I know I wanted a overhead-shooter with lots of Aliens, Alien Syndrome is doing the job for me.

Unlike movies or TV though, staying power and big releases don't just come from the theme or noteriety. The games that sell really really well tend to be good (except sports games, some just sell because of the sport).

In case any one cares about my opinion: Mario Galaxy, BioShock, and Haze are going to be "the" good games of the year for each system.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

super_etecoon said:
Every game has its share of flaws, some more than others. But if you had to choose between reading a book and playing a bad game I'm sure most of the people on here would be going for 100% in Superman 64.

Sorry, I don't think you're right on this one.  I (and many others I would assume) would much, much rather read a good book than play uber-crap like Superman 64, or even a moderately bad game for that matter.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Same here.

Around the Network

100% of games with my name on them are good.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

elprincipe said:
super_etecoon said:
Every game has its share of flaws, some more than others. But if you had to choose between reading a book and playing a bad game I'm sure most of the people on here would be going for 100% in Superman 64.

Sorry, I don't think you're right on this one.  I (and many others I would assume) would much, much rather read a good book than play uber-crap like Superman 64, or even a moderately bad game for that matter.

Amen.

And no, most games are bad.