By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Wii's success bring more than one Mario platformer like the NES?

If the Wii is popular enough, do you think we will find more Mario platformers, besides Super Mario Galaxy? Could there be another Super Smash Bros. game, besides Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Could there be another Mario Kart game, besides Mario Kart Wii?

Around the Network

Could there be a new type of mario game is what you are trying to say? I hope so.

mM

I hope so...only 1 Mario adventure game' every 5 years since the N64 sucks major ass.

Wow... I'd rather the resources go to new, interesting games, but I wouldn't NOT buy another Mario platformer or Smash Bros game out of spite.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

For the sake of keeping them classic games...I'd say it might be best in the long run to only have one game per franchise...though a new Mario, Mario Kart, or Super Smash Bros would undoubtedly be great games...probably better than Galaxy, MK: Wii, and Brawl...but I'd worry about the games getting old...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

times have changed my friend. It takes a lot more time, people, and money than it did to make an NES game. That and SMB 2 was a rip-off of a different japanese game, although it was still fun...

^Beat me to it.

As cool as Mario is, can we not get a NEW ICON from Nintendo

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Yeah natedog4000 said it right for the platformers and benkenobi said it right especially for the multiplayer games. I think it wouldn't be a problem quality-wise to have more than one Mario platformer per console, but it would be a problem in terms of resources. On the other hand, Smash and Kart would really get old if there were multiple games of them on the same platform. Just look at what happened with Mario Party.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

NES - 4 Mario games
SNES - 1 Mario game
N64 - 1 Mario game
Gamecube - 1 Mario game
Wii - 1 Mario game?

Gameboy - 2 Mario games
Gameboy Color - 0 Mario games
Gameboy Advance - 0 Mario games
Nintendo DS - 1 Mario game

I didn't include the ports. Anyways, Mario games were made faster at the beginning, and slowed down gradually, coincidentally as Nintendo's fame went down. I understand that Mario games become more complex to make as time goes by, but technology increases throughout time as well, so the time to make each Mario game shouldn't differ too greatly. Perhaps more Mario games are made depending on how successful Nintendo is at the time. If the Wii goes on to become the greatest console of all time, who knows how many Mario games might be made. I don't know if there is a connection between the number of Mario games made, and Nintendo's fame, but if there is, I'm hoping to see more Mario games made soon. I'm getting tired of all of the Gameboy Advance ports.

Instead of all of the Mario ports made, Mario spin offs, and the 95% of the crappy video games that litter the video game library, we could have had so many more Mario games. Oh well, only time will tell.