By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RPGs sales on X360 USA: Where will they wind up at?

naznatips said:
I agree with every one of your claims except Mass Effect. I think it will be a great game, but certainly not double the sales of Oblivion. It will technically be a sales success, but it will it 1.5 million to 1.75 million at most.

Oblivion wasn't exclusive though.

Around the Network
Oops I said earlier I thought Mass Effect will sell 1.5 million, but considering it's exclusive and getting the same amount of hype as Fable did I think it'll sell 2 million.

mrstickball said:
Blue Dragon's attach rate:

Japanese BD sales: 193,000 units
Xbox 360s sold in Japan: 410,000 units
= 47% attach ratio.

ES is a big question, merely in the fact that I just don't see alot of stateside hype...A good example is the ES forums @ Xbox.com....There are 250 posts vs. 14,000 for ME.

Well of course Blue Dragon will have a good attach rate with the Xbox 360 in Japan..the reason is because mainly the game was bundled and also the majority of Xbox 360 users bought that game....

diegomoroco777 said:
Eternal Sonata will bomb, no question about that one.

Blue Dragon too, it has the spirit of DQ and those games never do good in States.

Lost Odyssey, thats a very likely heavy hitter. It`s FF style, lots of action. I expect it to pull a decent 500k at least in USA. In Japan, less than BD.

Mass Effect, thats more of a genre merger, the fact that it has shooter elements will put it way over all the other games in your list. And the fact is is probably one of the top contender for GOTY will help.

Two Worlds...dunno, that game is a mystery for me.

WOW nice to meet you troll...Those rpgs have a chance...it can push some units for those that are waiting on the PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII...or it can get some existing...

Blue Dragon- 1.5 million total sales

Mass Effect-2.5 million total sales

Lost Odyssesy-700,000 total sales..my prediction..but Xbox 360 is really snapping with these RPG's it goes to show that Microsoft really cares...O_O

About Mass Effect:

The hype for Mass Effect is beyond the typical WRPG crowd. The game incorporates heavy shooter action. Moreso than KOTOR ever had. Because of this, and the fact it's the spiritual sequal to KOTOR, I think it will garner sales from both sides of the spectrum. I remember just about the same level of anticipation for this, as I did for Gears of War last year, so I'm posting similar numbers.

Initially, I figured it'd cater more toward the KOTOR-only crowd (that is, to sell 1.5m in the US), but it just seems hype is way beyond that. KOTOR was a shoe-in for RPG GOTY or near that. Mass Effect has a chance to win GOTY outright. Because of this, I think it's going to enjoy great, great legs. As stated, Oblivion wasn't exclusive, which hurt it kinda. But moreso than that, Oblivion was a near-launch game, and still sells today. Once it's GOTY edition comes out, Oblivion could wind up with near 2m units sold in the US (Morrowind's GOTY sold insanely well, and I do believe it was one of the top-selling platinum games in the history of the black Box.)....So I believe it'll do somewhere in the middle of Gears of War and Oblivion.

It's the same reason I think Fallout 3 next year can do ~2m on the X360, and still sell near 5m copies on other systems. Us Americans and Europeans love us a good WRPG. And again, Oblivion continues to sell. Two Worlds will be a great barometer of the market of WRPGs for Mass Effect, but I think Halo3 will have more of an impact, as once H3 wears off, the next logical game for "those" kinds of people will be GTAIV and/or ME.

I don't think 750,000 for Lost Odyssey is too low, or too high. FFXII only has sold 1.6m copies in the US, despite its great pedigree. The issue with BD is it's kind of a step-child of both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, and not entirely DQ-esuqe. The advantage it has is that it's "from the creator of final fantasy", which might help, while Lost Odyssey has the whole "Final Fantasy Killer" name behind it.

But again, everyone, even real low numbers are just as valid. Having no real precident for actually decent JRPGs on the X360, and only Oblivion to go off of for major WRPGs is a diffuclt task to figure out. But with Oblivion selling ~5k copies a week, only down from ~7.5k from CHRISTMAS, shows that WRPGs are a very, very strong market on the X360. IMO, a game like Oblivion selling THAT strongly is showing the X360 might be catering to a different crowd, and the RPGs could vastly benefit from it. If not, and its just the shooter crowd, then Mass Effect could top 3m in the US alone :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
ckmlb - so you think that the RPGs for the X360 that are coming out this year (the JRPGs) are going to be the most frontloaded games the X360 has?

I really doubt that....But that's just me. No X360 RPG has had under a 3x multiplier in the US.

Yes, I do actually. These are the first Japanese RPGs to hit the 360 here and I do believe the Japanese RPG audience in the 360 is quite small within the total number of owners. Something like Oblivion will do great and Two Worlds will do better than it should, but JRPGs will disappoint sales wise at least that's my expectation (compared to what they should get cause of quality, not disappoint as in bomb).

I believe the fans of JRPGs will flock and buy them the first day or first week because these are big games to them and then after that these titles will fall off big time.

All this is untested though, so I think Blue Dragon will be a good first test and from there it will be clearer how ES and LO will do.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I think anyone not projecting Mass Effect as doing a million easy this year is wayyy off. That game is a guaranteed million seller the way it's been building up. I expect it to break 2.5 million lifetime sales but it won't do Gears numbers.

It will be a big 360 hit for sure and a big hit in general that will hold up very well against the established IPs this holiday season.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Okay, after your explanation stickball I'll raise my expectation to 2 million. I still think 2.5 is pretty high, but I'll say that's possible at this point.

blue dragon is the only rpg on the 360 that i want. i have huge doubts about eternal sonata.