By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - About Trolling...who here is tired of it??

troll is someone who intentionally posts messages about sensitive topics constructed to cause controversy in an online community such as an online discussion forum or USENET groups in order to bait users into responding.

Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is known only to the troll.

A person who retaliates (using whatever means) as a result of a misunderstanding (or as a way of rebelling against the overzealous application of rules) is not a troll.[5] A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of stirring things up, either as a goal in and of itself or as a means of attacking the board perhaps motivated by opposition to the ethos of the board.

The general element, that determines whether a malicious user is a troll or not, is the level of indignant emotions present in the person, coupled with the person's history with the forum or group. An indignant user who has had a previous normal relationship with the group is not a troll, even if the user uses methods of attack that are characteristic of a troll attack.

A troll's main goal is usually to arouse anger and frustration among the message board's other participants, and will write whatever it takes to achieve this end. One popular trolling strategy is the practice of Winning by Losing. While the victim is trying to put forward solid and convincing facts to prove his position, the troll's only goal is to infuriate its prey. The troll takes (what it knows to be) a badly flawed, wholly illogical argument, and then vigorously defends it while mocking and insulting its prey. The troll looks like a complete fool, but this is all part of the plan. The victim becomes noticeably angry by trying to repeatedly explain the flaws of the troll's argument. Provoking this anger was the troll's one and only goal from the very beginning.

Please everyone dont feed into the troll..

Around the Network

Trolls are a double edged sword.

Trolling doesn't bother me too much, because I feel like they are unknowingly playing devil's advocate. They encourage more conversation (and more traffic).

On the other hand, some are jsut down right dumb and outlandishly irrevlevant. Even when they are moderately trolling some do it to much (I try to stay out of 360 threads, because I can sound like a troll sometimes because I am so angry at MS for wasting my money, mine broke before warranty extentions and their new one still doesn't cover all the flaws. I don't hate MS or 360, I am just angry. The games are good, and MS wil correct the problem and be good for gaming.)

the key is if they bother you or they take over a thread you can either take it in stride and have fun with them or you can ignore them.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

Trolling doesn't bother me too much, because I feel like they are unknowingly playing devil's advocate. They encourage more conversation (and more traffic).

On the other hand, some are jsut down right dumb and outlandishly irrevlevant. Even when they are moderately trolling some do it to much (I try to stay out of 360 threads, because I can sound like a troll sometimes because I am so angry at MS for wasting my money, mine broke before warranty extentions and their new one still doesn't cover all the flaws. I don't hate MS or 360, I am just angry. The games are good, and MS wil correct the problem and be good for gaming.)

the key is if they bother you or they take over a thread you can either take it in stride and have fun with them or you can ignore them.

Ok you see what you posted...I'm a Xbox 360 owner and I dont have a problem with what you said in bold...its entitled as your opinion and I cant change that...some people in here just stick there noses where they shouldn't and say the wrong things at the wrong time...that is what pisses me off...but I dont care like I said your cool steven787..you stated your opinion and I respect that...O_O

Takashii360 said:
steven787 said:

Ok you see what you posted...I'm a Xbox 360 owner and I dont have a problem with what you said in bold...its entitled as your opinion and I cant change that...some people in here just stick there noses where they shouldn't and say the wrong things at the wrong time...that is what pisses me off...but I dont care like I said your cool steven787..you stated your opinion and I respect that...O_O

Sorry not everyone is a mindless Xbot! Wii sux and Sony is the devil!

</troll>

z64dan said:
Takashii360 said:
steven787 said:

Sorry not everyone is a mindless Xbot! Wii sux and Sony is the devil!

prime example...O_O

Around the Network

Trolls are annoying, but since I spend most of my time actually gaming (and other activities), I just don't bother reply to obvious trolls.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

See, I am mostly at work when I am on here. So I respond just because it is less boring than my job.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

^^^^^ ahahah lets feed the troll everyone. ^_^'
i think trolls here arent that bad, since troll get swift divine justice here..
have you ever read some of the comment sections of Digg or youtube..
youd be surprise..

anyway z64dan gets a troll-happy-snap!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Im more sick of people being accused of trolling than the trolling itself.

The thing about a troll is that everyone can tell who they are, they sound like morons and stick out like a sore thumb. I have no major problem with them as they are usually so completely laughable.
My problem is that it seems some people blinded by fanboyism to one of the consoles will accuse a member who isnt of being 'a troll' for posting something negative about that console - even when the member wasnt even slightly trolling. This goes for both the Wii and the PS3 (I have never seen an X360 fan do it) fans.

Rath said:
Im more sick of people being accused of trolling than the trolling itself.

The thing about a troll is that everyone can tell who they are, they sound like morons and stick out like a sore thumb. I have no major problem with them as they are usually so completely laughable.
My problem is that it seems some people blinded by fanboyism to one of the consoles will accuse a member who isnt of being 'a troll' for posting something negative about that console - even when the member wasnt even slightly trolling. This goes for both the Wii and the PS3 (I have never seen an X360 fan do it) fans.

yah maybe u sux like nintendont or PhonySony thats why? anyway im gonna go play game gear. CATCH YOU LOSERS LATER???

</troll>